Japan Sales Thread *renamed

Honestly I don't care about the sales numbers, I was more interested in the statement. I thought these companies had a friendly rivalry and didn't talk trash. It was also highly ironic considering MS's Japan numbers, if Nintendo had said it it would make much more sense.

I'd like these PR guys much more if they didn't act like people running for a political office and were a bit more friendly and honest.

Well I'm not sure what you've been following, but these companies trash talk eachother all the time. Comparing the guy to Tony Snow is pretty ridiculous, especially when it's a fairly accurate statement.

Sure it's spin, but at the same time he's right. MS has been answering that same question for the last year and a half, it's about time someone started asking Sony the same thing.

Shifty - Currently in JPN Wii is outselling PS3 6:1, which was the number I was getting at.

What quick and defesive replies...

My point was about the spin, do you think Moore would publicly call the 360 a failure? Of course not, but he has no issues smearing his competition. What do you call it when you sell half as much with a year head start?

Not to poke at you Todd, but Sony has been heavily "smearing the competition" since day 1.

With much more impactful statements than Moore's pointing out the obvious. Things such as "xbox 1.5" and "MS sometimes makes a good product by the 3rd generation". They then go on to falsely "prove" these statements by showing movies and acting as if they are real games representing their hardware.

This statement Moore made was absolutely correct and anyone not claiming ps3 as a failure in Japan (at this point!) is fooling themselves. In fact, if one were so bold, one could look at worldwide sales of ps3 and come to the same conclusion, but he limited his response to the region they expected to dominate most, Japan.

Selling one sixth of Nintendo Wii is not what they anticipated. MS I'm sure is well below their goal as well, but they were already underdogs in the region. They've never had success there and neither has any american VG system. Success there for MS is like a dream goal. They want to have it, but they know it is a long shot to say the least. Success for them there would be shocking.

Sony on the other hand was already in a position of domination in that region, less than a year ago.

Which one is more surprising and news worthy?

Sony and MS have been trash-talking each other for the past couple of years! It even starter to affect Nintendo, who on the whole had been above it.
Above it? I'd rather think it was because, until the Wii, they were not 'worthy of attack' from the other two; and with the status of the GC being what it was, they had little they could credibly gain by going on the offensive themselves. These days the situation is different, and for Nintendo to join in the companies sniping at each other for either 'not being fun', 'being out of touch with the consumer', or 'not being forward looking' makes perfect sense.

If a moderator were to delete the last 10 posts in this thread, I wouldn't at all mind. Hint, hint.

C'mon peeps, try to keep some dignity. ;)

If a moderator were to delete the last 10 posts in this thread, I wouldn't at all mind. Hint, hint.

C'mon peeps, try to keep some dignity. ;)

The mod, meaning me, has already removed quite a few posts. What you're seeing are the more harmless remnants of the discussion. :p Anyway, this thread should be about sales, not PR interpreting sales numbers.

Just to get back on topic, here's the latest from Cheesemeister:

01. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix) - 263,000 / NEW
02. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 70,000 / 584,000
03. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo) - 47,000 / NEW
04. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 45,000 / 1,870,000
05. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo) - 39,000 / 395,000
06. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 29,000 / 1,494,000
07. [NDS] Chibi Robo! Park Patrol (Nintendo) - 27,000 / 72,000
08. [NDS] Kirarin Revolution: Mezase Idol Queen! (Konami) - 25,000 / NEW
09. [NDS] Monster Farm DS (Tecmo) - 22,000 / NEW
10. [NDS] Mega Man ZX Advent (Capcom) - 21,000 / NEW

11. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
12. [NDS] Saiyuki: Gold and Silver Conspiracy (D3 Publisher)
13. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
14. [PS2] Super Robot Wars: Original Generations (Banpresto)
15. [PS2] Pop'n Music 14: Fever! (Konami)
16. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
17. [NDS] Itadaki Street DS (Square-Enix)
18. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
19. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
20. [WII] Donkey Kong Jet (Nintendo)
21. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo)
22. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
23. [NDS] Pokémon Pearl (Pokémon)
24. [NDS] English Training (Nintendo)
25. [NDS] Death Note: The Successor to L (Konami)
26. [360] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (Ubi Soft)
27. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2M (IE Institute)
28. [PS2] Memories Off #5 Encore (CyberFront)
29. [NDS] Listen! Write! Increase Vocabulary! Initial English Training (Benesse)
30. [NDS] Yoshi's Island DS (Nintendo)

NDS - 22
WII - 4
PS2 - 3
360 - 1

Wow, imagine what would happen if a real DQ game came out. Nintendo domination of Japan continues if full-swing.

Swords is the on-rails thing, isn't it?

Yeah swords is the on rail thing. I dont understand how something like that can sell like it does. If you ask me its not a very special game but it seems to sell only because it has DQ in the name.

5 million with no software by March --> 1 million by June = Utter failure.

Uh yeah, except they were referring to 5m worldwide, so no need to get giddy.

Whats more interesting is the fact that Ninja Gaiden and Gundam had little impact on sales. This just emphasises the shift to handhelds in Japan.

Excuse my ignorance, but has Minna no Golf 5 been released in Japan yet? If so I guess it bombed and if not forget I asked.

It's actually next week. 26th of July. Comes with the bundle packs in both 20GB and 60GB flavors.

I expect it will be more of a casual gamers game than a core gamers game. But it will probably move some HW units.

Uh yeah, except they were referring to 5m worldwide, so no need to get giddy.

Whats more interesting is the fact that Ninja Gaiden and Gundam had little impact on sales. This just emphasises the shift to handhelds in Japan.

I would not say so much a shift to handhelds but a shift away from traditional gaming. While the PSP has solid hardware sales the software is still way behind. The Wii still continues to sell out in japan. Nintendo has done an amazing job giving the gamers of the east exactly what they want with the DS/Wii combo.

Media Create updated DQ:S numbers to 305,000, from the posted 263,000 yesterday. Don't know why they did that, but it's definitely a healthy release number for a Wii 3rd party game.

Enterbrain states that the Wii sold 104,897 units for the week ended July 15th. Highest weekly sales since January when it sold through ~146k units.

Hopefully more info will be released on the other consoles soon.

MC HW sales drom neogaf

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   141,982 |   139,286 | 4,252,786 | 18,258,465
2. WII   -   109,854 |    75,279 | 2,139,985 |  3,059,628
3. PSP   -    37,578 |    32,946 | 1,153,671 |  5,685,800
4. PS2   -    15,777 |    14,120 |   450,270 | 20,605,129
5. PS3   -    13,493 |    12,691 |   519,115 |    976,673
6. 360   -     2,942 |     2,370 |   123,895 |    388,597
7. GBA   -       432 |       601 |    41,837 | 15,339,916
8. NGC   -       106 |       174 |     8,699 |  4,178,167

Wii comparisons: At 33 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 120.6 weeks (January 1, 2004), where GBA was at 25.2 weeks (September 10, 2001), where DS was at 39.8 weeks (September 2, 2005), where PS2 was (without those online sales) at 43.1 weeks (December 24, 2001), and where PSP was at 64.2 weeks (February 27, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 36 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 4.1 weeks (March 26, 2000), where PSP was at 13.1 weeks (March 6, 2005), where GCN was at 16.4 weeks (January 1, 2002), and where Wii was at 5.3 weeks (January 2, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 79.1 / 20.9, bringing the total shares to 76.3 / 23.7. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 334.6 weeks (December 12, 2013). I recently bring back this DS vs PSP section out of hibernation because PS3/Wii total ratio is getting very close to the PSP/DS total ratio, so I think it's interesting to see how that develops in the near future.

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 10.9 / 89.1, Wii's highest share since launch week. Total shares of 24.2 / 75.8. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 154.4 weeks (June 30, 2010).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii would catch up to PSP in 36.3 weeks (March 26, 2008).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in 18.6 weeks (November 22, 2007) at ~20.90 million apiece.

For something like ten years, the first floor of Akihabara retailer Sofmap was PlayStation territory. Not anymore. PS goods, games and hardware have moved to the third floor. What's in its place? You guessed it, Nintendo. Shoppers looking for Wii/DS consoles and games can easily find them on the ground floor. Retailers are a good source of info from the trenches, and this is very telling. That, or the move's to make things more convenient for elderly Nintendo customers. How thoughtful!

SOURCE

No surprises here.

Back