2K Sports presents... Sports Legends Football?

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
Supposedly from Jon's blog at IGN. I cannot personally find his top 10 most anticipated, but I did find Hillary's and Tal's, so it seems legit. Take with a grain of salt though until a link is found (posted originally at Xboxyde.com).

6) 2K Sports Legends Football
Genre: Sports
Developer: Visual Concepts
Publisher: 2K Sports
Why?: We all know it's coming. Although 2K Sports has yet to announce anything, rumors are continually swirling around a Legends Football game using the old 2K Sports football engine, something football fans have missed since the stellar NFL 2K5. If it's going to happen -- and we believe it is -- look for a summer release as 2K looks to cut into the sales of Madden, just like it did two years ago.

Link: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/757/757362p3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly from Jon's blog at IGN. I cannot personally find his top 10 most anticipated, but I did find Hillary's and Tal's, so it seems legit. Take with a grain of salt though until a link is found (posted originally at Xboxyde.com).

Link: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/757/757362p3.html

Exciting - all the way up to the point they said "using the old 2K Sports football engine".

I always thought the 2k football series was better than Madden but I'd like to see them taking it to the next level. Perhaps this is a learning tool for the team to get up to speed with 360. After that I'd hope they add physics based animation/collision as this is one genre that could really take advantage of it. The most dispicable part is that Madden/football titles sell multi millions every year so the cash is there to invest in cutting edge tech to improve the title but EA is stuck in cruise control with no competition in this space for a few more years.:cry:

Exciting - all the way up to the point they said "using the old 2K Sports football engine".

If they still do this, it is STILL better then the gameplay experience that Madden gives at this point. While it's hard to consider either of them a true football sim, what Madden is offering is totally garbage. It's a shame we are stuck with what another 7 years of NFL licensing through EA.

With that being said, I still thought EA had all the licensning for all NFL teams and NFLPA? Is the legens prior to the merger??

Since we have the greatest game on earth playing right now...

I would imagine we would see this launch in the July-Aug timeframe. I am still very curious what teams we are going to get?? I am curious what teams we will see as well. I can really only seeing it being 'Blitz' style teams. Unless the NFLPA/NFL has no rights on some of the earlier team/players. I mean I guess it really doesn't matter about the teams to much, as long as that classic 2K gameplay is there, thats fine by me.

Maybe we can see this launch at $20-$40 like 2k5. While it's a pipe dream to think this would force Madden/EA to actually make a good football game again, it's OK to still wish for the stars!

Anyway...Prince is thankfully done...back to the game!

Last February, NaturalMotion announced a partnership deal with Rockstar Games, Inc., the publishing label responsible for Grand Theft Auto. Rockstar Games is also in the same family of companies as 2K Sports. When pressed about future projects using NaturalMotion's animation technology, one of the NaturalMotion employees at GDC brought up the deal they have with Rockstar now. I commented that he must be talking about Grand Theft Auto IV, and he said no, not exactly. He mentioned the fact that 2K Sports is in the same family of companies as Rockstar, pointed out the football characters used in the animation demos, and the fact that their booth had young guys suited-up in football gear. I mentioned that he must be talking about 2K's rumored All-Pro football game that's been tightly under wraps. That's when he stopped talking.

So not only is Rockstar using the technology, but 2K Sports probably is too. Actually, 2K Sports has gone on record as saying they're using NaturalMotion technology. And with all the football allusions that the demos make, that All-Pro football game is starting to look more and more like a reality. It's clear that character motion is taking huge steps forward in the development process, and big players like Rockstar and 2K Sports are looking to make this one element an integral part of their future games.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/772/772585p3.html

Please, please be true!!

Again, I just hope this comes sooner then later. I am so depressed with the state of Football on consoles at this point. Ive reduced myself to playing MLB2k7 (which is fun) and frickin soccer.

Nothing against either of those sports, but, uh, yeah its not football.

To have a chance at decent sales without the licenses, they need to give you real easy editing tools so that you can import or design in the official logos as well as rosters.

That means things like keyboard support for player editor.

Also means a real easy way to share these modified rosters with anyone.

On the PS3, you can transfer roster files to a USB flash drive or SD card and then email or upload to some website.

On X360, you would need Action Replay?

Whatever the case, there will be guys dedicated enough to edit the rosters with real players and teams. 2K Sports just have to facilitate the editing and file sharing as much as possible.

When they say Natural Motion, do they mean the realtime Euphoria to give us varied in-game animation, or offline Endorphin for precanned anims? I presume they mean the former and have just named in incorrectly. I think the first of these 'natural motion' titles needs to get out there tout suite to shake up companies into pushing animation tech. The end result ought to be awesome (as long as the rest of the game doesn't suck).
Nothing against either of those sports, but, uh, yeah its not football.
A friend bought an NFL game for PS2 a while back and we tried multi-player. I think American Football is something of an...acquired taste.

Madden sales are comparable to FIFA/PES sales aren't they?

So it may be an acquired taste outside NA but in terms of overall gaming sales, it's popular as any other sports game.

When they say Natural Motion, do they mean the realtime Euphoria to give us varied in-game animation, or offline Endorphin for precanned anims?

NaturalMotion is the company and the link has videos to the Euphoria demonstrations, notably showing football players ;) 2KI has stated they are using NaturalMotion technology and based on what they are focusing on in the console space with behavioral animation (and the fact football games already have robust pre-canned animation) it seems pretty clear this is for an adaptation of the Euphoria realtime animation technology, similar to what Indiana Jones and the new Star Wars are using.

A friend bought an NFL game for PS2 a while back and we tried multi-player. I think American Football is something of an...acquired taste.

At 3M-6M in annual sales, not including stuff like PC league sims and NFL Street, that taste is one of the largest in the industry.

All games are an aquired taste, but the American Football genre is one of the largest genres and best selling ones year in and year out. As for gameplay all your Euros are missing out on one of the deepest, most refined genres in gaming :p The mix of one field gameplay and management/sim aspects and the ability to do both to various degrees or more of one or the other is pretty impressive.

As a side note, I know a lot of American sports fans who overlook the lack of massive mainstream popularity in the US of sports like Soccer, Bowling, Fishing, T&F and so forth and really enjoy games based on these sports. Especially when the games are really good (I played a ton of Konami's N64 Soccer series with my friends... one of our most played games by far). So I always roll my eyes when Euro gamers lift their nose at American football. I understand casuals not liking American football as gaming is an extension of their current interests, but for gamers or sports fans looking for extremely refined sports oriented gaming and robust sim aspects the Madden/2K series of American football titles are absolutely the top of the heap in regards to quality and diversity of appeal. Of course the regional differences may also include a disparity in hardcore/casual gamers as well as Europe having fewer "sports-videogamers". The number American of gamers who have gaming collections dominated by Football, Basketball, and Baseball titles is quite significant. As these are all dominated by American companies (NFL, NBA, and MLB) that be another hurdle for European fans. Oh well, their loss! As much as we gripe about Madden it really is a great game in regards to the total package. Considering some of the crap that sells gamers of any sort could do a lot worse than picking up Madden and learning a new sport to enjoy a very deep and rewarding game.

So there was a GI preview, 4 pages of screens and some interviews.

No franchise mode, no editing of any kind.

Worse still, no mention of Natural Motion. Looks like they will leverage on the 2K5 code.

No bargain pricing either.

If they want to differentiate from Madden while not being able to have any licenses, one way might be to push technology.

It would be interesting if they experiment with multiple camera angles so that for instance, you have the camera behind the safeties to play passes on defense. They provided first-person camera angle in 2K5 and it really wasn't too useful in the game. But other fixed camera angles and the ability to switch among them on the fly might make for a more immersive experience.

Another possibility to pursue might be multiplayer online games, involving say 4-6 consoles so that you have 6 or more human players in an online game from multiple consoles. Only sports game to do this was NHL Rivals, not counting racing games of course.

GI.com is suppose to post an interview with Greg Thomas on 4/23. Hopefully we can pose some questions through some other gaming sites. In the past, they've been responsive to the user-community.

That sounds like a huge step backward from 2k5. They had better show something interesting, something to make the game attractive. They're already in-the-hole compared to Madden for popularity and for NFL players. They don't need to cede more territory.

All Pro Football 2k8 site launches

Imagine Rice, Unitas, Butkus, and Singletary.
In their prime. On the same field.
Maybe even the same team.
Imagine preparing a precision squad of mercenaries—even building your own players.
Imagine football action the way football is really played.
Now imagine the best gridiron game coming back for more.
Imagine Football Resurrected.
This is All Pro Football 2K8.
This summer…the legend returns.

subtitle_features.gif

• Draft your dream team from football’s legendary players--over 240 of them.
  • Choose your arena and pump up the fan base to create stadium energy you can feel.
  • Next Gen Graphics feature thousands of new player animations—games come alive with sweat and steam, rabid fans in the stands and dynamic weather challenges.
  • 2K Broadcasting – A new style combining TV broadcast with on-field commentary to put you closer to the action than ever before.
  • 2K Beats – Kick it off with original soundtracks, mashups and remixes by an all-pro producer with legendary artists (TBA).

Back