Working at NVIDIA/ATI

Well, I didn't, but I do now.

BTW, guys - speaking of logo, I think we need the "ATI Radeon Graphics" logo rather than the "ATI" logo! :p

Yeah but where did you live? But I'm sure if I had this possibility I'll go there. Maybe a little scared for a crazy choice like that but it's a one time possibility.

Well, I didn't, but I do now.

BTW, guys - speaking of logo, I think we need the "ATI Radeon Graphics" logo rather than the "ATI" logo! :p

We looked at that, Wavey. It looks like sh*t that small because of the text at the bottom, which is really the point of that graphic. Tho if your friends in the graphics department want to provide one no bigger than 24x24 that *doesn't* look like sh*t, we'd be happy to use it.

Is it possible to have an icon preselected? :D

Ratchet, aka "God of all things Vbulletin", has frowned upon your request. Continue to burn incense and leave offerings for several more years, and who knows. :smile:

Actually, he said while there's nothing around to do that, we could give industry types their company logo in their postbits. At least technically that's doable. The question is how many would want that, and would it create unfair peer pressure on industry types who hang out here but don't want (or are not allowed) to be seen as being "official".

If only I lived in Santa Clara or Toronto... :rolleyes:

I bet the majority of the ATI employees were not from the area (nor am I). Heck, 52% of the people in Toronto were born outside Canada, so I bet at least for the Toronto office it's even more diverse than that.

Somewhat funny anecdote: As AMD bought ATI this turned out to be a slight issue for all of us with a canadian work permit (and there are lots of us) since the work permit states the employer you're allowed to work for and in what position. So as we got transferred from ATI to being AMD employers our work permits of course still said ATI. Turns out Canada did not even have a policy about the legal status of all this, so they had to quickly come up with a policy around the AMD-ATI merger. :)

I bet the majority of the ATI employees were not from the area (nor am I). Heck, 52% of the people in Toronto were born outside Canada, so I bet at least for the Toronto office it's even more diverse than that.

Somewhat funny anecdote: As AMD bought ATI this turned out to be a slight issue for all of us with a canadian work permit (and there are lots of us) since the work permit states the employer you're allowed to work for and in what position. So as we got transferred from ATI to being AMD employers our work permits of course still said ATI. Turns out Canada did not even have a policy about the legal status of all this, so they had to quickly come up with a policy around the AMD-ATI merger. :)

Cool. :oops: :smile:

(just curious, the logo and other stuff inside the company remain ATI related or they've changed also this kind of stuff? do you wear a green shirt now? :LOL: )

How is the pay in these 3D chip companies compared to say Microsoft? Its generally said that game developers are under paid partly because there are many young developers interested in working.

Here in India, it appears the pay in ATI and nVidia is not very attractive for a skilled engineer. :/ Considering that there is typically much more workload in these companies compared to a big company like Microsoft(atleast in some divisions) I wonder how the pay compares.

Luton, UK. We now live in Aurora, Ontario, Canada - a small town in the Greater Toronto area, about 20 mins north of "AMD North HQ" (former ATI HQ) office.

It's a great choice of life changing so much but you've been contacted I think... a possibility on a gold plate cannot be refused. :smile: ;)

I'm italian.. it would be a great move.. :rolleyes:

(just curious, the logo and other stuff inside the company remain ATI related or they've changed also this kind of stuff? do you wear a green shirt now? :LOL: )

The signs on the office and the huge banner in the atrium has been changed for AMD. But people of course still wear their old ATI shirts now and then. I have one AMD shirt, but probably half a dozen ATI shirts. I bet you'll see ATI stuff around for many years to come.

On a similar note, the funny thing is that pretty much everyone in Santa Clara isn't from Santa Clara. ~30y ago, most of this area was orchards...

On a similar note, the funny thing is that pretty much everyone in Santa Clara isn't from Santa Clara. ~30y ago, most of this area was orchards...

I remember! (San Jose native who is old enough to remember that area pretty well from the late 60's).

Even better, if you ever read William Sherman's memoirs (the famous Civil War general), he was stationed at Monterey in 1849 when the gold strike fever hit. A bunch of their soldiers decided to go over the hill towards Sacramento. He told his commanding officer not to worry, because as soon as he topped the mountains chasing them, a small group of men would stand out clearly in the Santa Clara valley because there was nothing for miles and miles. . . .:LOL:

Even better, if you ever read William Sherman's memoirs (the famous Civil War general), he was stationed at Monterey in 1849 when the gold strike fever hit. A bunch of their soldiers decided to go over the hill towards Sacramento. He told his commanding officer not to worry, because as soon as he topped the mountains chasing them, a small group of men would stand out clearly in the Santa Clara valley because there was nothing for miles and miles. . . .:LOL:
Well, still kinda looks that way from up top: http://rufus.hackish.org/albums/Upload/STITCHED_0475_sized.jpg

Damn it, now I'm missing the valley again :love:

Why are not you waiting for Pyramid3D or Glaze3D? :p :D

why the heck I should be waiting those? I already have Bitboys AXE (aka. Avalanche3D) which is Glaze3D on stereoids. (I am not going to write again those specs of that chip, so if you really are interested, use the search.)

besides, I do know that Olympus is about to launch 3 new Digital SLR cameras world wide during next 6 months, but I am not waiting those either. (You don't need to be waiting everything that you are interested.)

why the heck I should be waiting those? I already have Bitboys AXE (aka. Avalanche3D) which is Glaze3D on stereoids. (I am not going to write again those specs of that chip, so if you really are interested, use the search.)

besides, I do know that Olympus is about to launch 3 new Digital SLR cameras world wide during next 6 months, but I am not waiting those either. (You don't need to be waiting everything that you are interested.)

I remember without using search

20040929010.jpg

I remember without using search

20040929010.jpg

ah... legendary A-eng... it's still bit unknown to me, if it was BB's or Infineon's or boths fault that A-eng had missing insulation layer, causing the chip shortcut about 75%. (These chips came back from Infineon somewhere in summer 2001. Infineon killed the edram lineup in autumn 2001. "Working" B-eng revision came from the fab in march 2002, but the massproduction possiblity was gone already)

ah... legendary A-eng... it's still bit unknown to me, if it was BB's or Infineon's or boths fault that A-eng had missing insulation layer, causing the chip shortcut about 75%. (These chips came back from Infineon somewhere in summer 2001. Infineon killed the edram lineup in autumn 2001. "Working" B-eng revision came from the fab in march 2002, but the massproduction possiblity was gone already)

And how many working one exist? Do you have one of that?

And how many working one exist? Do you have one of that?

yes I have both, A-eng and B-eng chips. of course being only chips, there's no way to check if it really works.

back when I got mine, I was told that there's "Under 10" B-eng chips outside the company. Of course that might have changed since. The whole batch was at least one full wafer.

yes I have both, A-eng and B-eng chips. of course being only chips, there's no way to check if it really works.

back when I got mine, I was told that there's "Under 10" B-eng chips outside the company. Of course that might have changed since. The whole batch was at least one full wafer.

Sad thing you cannot try on a real test. I remember a similar situation with the Pyramid3D sold on ebay long time ago.. do you remember?

Back