Dual Boot with Win Xp and win 98 Video card problems

technonick

Newcomer
My cousin has Win Xp and Win 98 on his alienware system. When he tried to install the Geforce 4 drivers on his Comp for win 98 and reseted. His computer would boot up but when he selectedf to boot into win 98 it jsut froze. My question is there some sort of conflict with win xp and 98. Even when he jsut has win 98 isntalled on his system ity still doesn't work. He has win xp and win 98 on differnt partions on the c drive. Its not the mobo drivers cause they are installed :cry:

Technonick,

If you really want help you need to start giving details and not just Alienware. What is it AMD or Intel chipset. Whats his powersupply rating, the system may need a BIOS upgrade. Could be a jumper for voltage on the chipset needs to be set..could be just a bad card...there is alot of variables. So put some details on the system in your post.

Hey doom trooper

My cousin has an alienware system 2.4ghz intel 850 chipset 256 ram. 350 watt power supply. It worked fine with xp isntalled on it but when my cousin installed win 98 to dual boot it doesn't work in 98, or when u jsut have win 98 installed on the system. So when u boot into win xp its works. The alienware came with the geforce 4

Chipset drivers for 850 are built into XP. THey are not in 98 (its too old) so you need to download and instazll the latest motheboard chipset drivers.

YOU MUST install the chipset drivers before installing the video card drivers in Windows 98.
SO I would try this if you are freezing entering windows.

1)In Windows Xp have the Windows 98 chipset drivers ready on a floppy or move the file to the 98 Partition and put it in Drive path/windows/desktop
2) Press F5 after selecting Windows 98 as your boot option
3)Choose safe mode
4)Install Win98 Chipset drivers in Safe Mode..should be on the desktop
5)Restart
6)See if you can now install the Geforce 4 drivers.

I would also recommend against installing a Win9X OS <edit>after (NOT BEFORE Doh!</edit> installing XP or 2K as they are far better at creating dual boot configurations.

Uhm, actually, you're supposed to partition your drive, install win98 on the first partition and then isntall 2k/XP on the second partition.

THAT is the best way to do it, because then XP/2k correctly modifies the boot loader.

Yes. I have 2 hard drives. I put 98SE on C: first then XP on D: second. The only thing I had to change was the default OS to 98 rather than XP. Other than that it works perfectly.

Back