OS upgrade question

linthat22

Regular
Since Vista is really expensive and I don't want to shell out the money. It seems Novell is doing a pretty good job at a comparison between Vista and their Suse Linux OS (corporate edition that is).

What are some good alternative that ya'll could suggest? I don't know how long MS will support XP and it seems that as far as gaming goes, we'll be seeing DirectX 10 only games in the future. I do enjoy playing PC games, but I'm tired of supporting MS.

So what ya'll say?

Why not continue using what you have right now? If it's not broken, don't fix it. XP will continue to be supported by MS for years to come.

XP is a viable system for a very long time. In fact, my experience with Vista has lead me personally to think XP is a better OS in certain aspects. Games will not turn Direct X 10 only for at least another year and a half, probably a bit longer.

If you are interested in using Linux though I would suggest you do not buy or pay for a corporate version. Often times you're paying for technical support, which really is not a whole lot better than what you'll find online. If you are interested though I suggest looking into Ubuntu, Fedora Core, and checking out DistroWatch and looking at their various pages for tons and tons of the distros out there. DistroWatch is a great place to find links to reviews, screenshots, downloads, and other useful information.

XP will still be supported for a while, and if you enjoy gaming I wouldn`t reccomend going to Linux, be it any kind of Linux.

XP will still be supported for a while, and if you enjoy gaming I wouldn`t reccomend going to Linux, be it any kind of Linux.

This is very true to a point. There are a number of games that run well in Wine (Counter Strike: Source, the game I play on a regular basis). Other times though, and especially new games it just simply does not work. It is also why I keep XP installed and just simply use Linux for everything else.

I'm sorry about my first post. I didn't mean that I was going to get rid of XP. I just know now that it's days are numbered. That's why I was asking about viable alternatives. I was thinking Mac, but they're too expensive.

XP's days aren't numbered. They just tried to stop support NT (right?), and dropped win98 last year or so.. XP has a huge user base, so expect to get updates and support for at least 5 years, but I'd guess more 10 years, or so...

And till then, Vista got cheap, too.. (and evolved)

And we were posting to say XP's days are NOT numbered ... not in the practical sense. It will remain supported for at least 4 years, more likely somewhere around 7-10 years. Corporations are NOT switching over to Vista; if they're running WinXP, they will remain on WinXP for at least 3 years. The major financial institution I work for still has heaps of Win2K deployed.

Back