Radeon 9600 PRO Overclocking

David G. said:
WTF is this :

@537/300 gets 3816 3DMarks in 3DMark03

@537/340 gets 3860 3DMarks in 3DMArk03 ?!!??!

Only 44 3DMarks with almost 40% overclock ?

Why ??? :? :oops:

40%? How did you get that number? Isn't 300 to 340 a 13% increase? :?: Maybe the 340 is supposed to be 430?

David G. said:
WTF is this :

300 -> 340 is 13% memory overclock... 3D Mark 03 results consist of 4 tests. If the 4 tests are largely not memory bandwidth limited, then you won't get much benefit from the extra bandwidth.

Memory bandwidth should make a difference right?

A 9500Pro vs a 9700 with the same core speed have a big difference in score. The only difference there is memory bandiwdth.

So ... 300MHz memory has enough bandwidth to fully fuel the 4 pipes @ 537 MHz in 3dMark2003??

An underclocked 9600 Pro (275/270) compared to a 9500 non-Pro (4/1) would be an interesting test...

gibz0r said:
Memory bandwidth should make a difference right?

A 9500Pro vs a 9700 with the same core speed have a big difference in score. The only difference there is memory bandiwdth.

So ... 300MHz memory has enough bandwidth to fully fuel the 4 pipes @ 537 MHz in 3dMark2003??
No idea, I'm just giving information :)

But to put it in perspective: 9500 Pro at default clocks = 2.2 gigapixels/sec and 8.6 GB/s. 9600 Pro at 537/340 = 2.1 gigapixels/s and 10.9 GB/s. It's pretty clear that the 9500 Pro is a lot more bandwidth limited than the overclocked 9600 Pro.

OpenGL guy said:
DaveBaumann said:
It's pretty clear that the 9500 Pro is a lot more bandwidth limited than the overclocked 9600 Pro.

Hier-Z does give it quite some alleviation on the BW side though.
It depends completely on what application you are running...
Good point. I'd really like some benchmarks with hyper-z enabled/disabled on the same card. GL_ext_reme and villagemark are nice, but what about real games? I think it's easy enough to switch off hierarchical-z with a tweaker so this could be tested easily. This would answer some questions, for instance if a radeon 8500 with hierarchical-z disabled is still faster than a 9000 at the same clock speeds (everybody just assumes it's faster because of the 2nd texture unit, but I have some doubts there), or if a 9500pro without hier-z would slow down almost to the level of a 9500 non-pro. But then again, maybe I'm the only one who is interested in that :?:

David G. said:
nelg said:
I think some people might owe TSMC an apology. :oops:

Here's something I've red recently @ rage3d forums :

Originally posted by East17
Told you !

I doesn't matter if TSMC makes the chip as it's not manufacturer's blame if the VPU doesn't scales high .

Here's what I've posted more than 2 weeks ago :

Originally posted by East17

Originally posted by demonic
That would be awesome if ATi switched to Intel for producing the R400.. TSMC really should not have been used, after the fiasco with NV3X.

As some of you know , the fact that the R300 design was so succesfully on 0.15 micron technology has also to do with the close relationship between Intel and ATi ... some know what I'm talkiing about ...

Anyway , the important fact is how you design your product and it's generaly your fault if it's not working properly not the manufacturer's .

Look @ the RV350 ... it's doing 400 Mhz in mobile version too . Or let's put it in another way : if the R300 was doing 400 Mhz and even more easily ... do you really think that the RV350 can only do 400 Mhz ? I think that RV350 can even go beyond 500 Mhz !

The design is wat counts ... take the Thoroughberd A and B issue for another example .

As for nVIDIA ... I would be happy if they will get their act together as that would mean smaller prices for the ATi cards and the same 6 month cycle and not a 9 months one .

Have a nice day everybody .

Link

Makes me look very sma*t errrr .... I mean intuistic , doesn't it ? :D

Hehe ... just joking ... ;)

This has nothing to do with TSMC .
Bull crap.
The fab has plenty to do with whether or not a chip works. More than plenty. They provide all the data for the sims you run and if they've got it wrong--then your chip doesn't work as advertized. I worked on a design that spent six months in limbo because the fab wouldn't own up to selling an SRAM cell that was never qualified in production.

Very impressive! >20% across the board from a product that many were disappointed in. It certainly is quite reminiscent of the old Celerons. . .

My goodness, that's an impressive overclock for a card that's not using an external power connector. Perhaps power draw (in addition to profit margins) was the reason for ATi's "conservative" clocking?

Also, have you considered using Tenebrae as a (legal :) ) way to foresee Doom III performance?

The Zalman-cooled Sapphire 9600PU :)D) looks pretty swank, BTW. A 500/330 silent 9600PU is a nice alternative to a noisier, hungrier 9500P, particularly at the same price. I can't wait for 9600P's to begin to drop in price--the 9600 series may turn out to be an excellent and long-lived part for ATi, if Russ' info on TSMC's improved margins is correct.i

Dave, that's an impressive o/c speed.

Can you tell me what the weather/temperature is like in London now? It's pretty hot and humid here in South East Asia (and other parts of the world), a growing market... and this kinda thing are primary disclaimers-inducing stuff when it comes to o/c'ing. While I have no doubt that o/c'ing the 9600PRO is a certainty no matter where you are (even in the Equator-zone countries), what can enthusiasts from such countries/zones gather from this thread?

all I have to say is HOLY MOLY. Those cards are clocking @ >500 with a STOCK heatsink and no external power connecter. Where did nvidia go SOOO wrong with their .13 micron that they could not achieve these same results with any of the FX family members? Is this a sign of things to come with Ati's response to the NV35? :)

OpenGL guy said:
David G. said:
WTF is this :

300 -> 340 is 13% memory overclock... 3D Mark 03 results consist of 4 tests. If the 4 tests are largely not memory bandwidth limited, then you won't get much benefit from the extra bandwidth.

I've pulled that number out of my a** . Sorry guys , I was thinking @ the VPU speed increase .

galperi1 said:
all I have to say is HOLY MOLY. Those cards are clocking @ >500 with a STOCK heatsink and no external power connecter. Where did nvidia go SOOO wrong with their .13 micron that they could not achieve these same results with any of the FX family members? Is this a sign of things to come with Ati's response to the NV35? :)

From what little I know about processors, here's a possible (at least in my mind) reason. Some parts of the chip will be able to run much faster than other parts, but you can only clock it as fast as that slowest part can go. There's probably quite a bit (compared to most chips) of buggy sections of NV30 that limit its overall speed.

Maybe someone with an engineering background and actual knowledge can shed some light on my idea.

Reverend said:
Dave, that's an impressive o/c speed.

Can you tell me what the weather/temperature is like in London now?

Yesterday was the hottest day of the year! 25C+ where I live (which is pretty close to Dave in relation to the size of the known universe). Even the evening was pretty warm...

It was so nice I even went OUTSIDE for a bit. :LOL:

You can see now why M10's "OVERDRIVE" is a marketable feature... the clock headroom is massive, even with very modest cooling.

MuFu.

Yeah, as MuFu says, it was unusually hot for April over here (hottest day in April since records began AFAIK) and the test room was also very toasty. If I were to run it now (morning, and the windows been open all night) there might be a little more to squeeze out of it.

Back