LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe gesture controls for games are harder to program well than people have been giving them credit for.

I don't know why people expect developers to magically grasp new technology in a few months. This is something that's never been done before, but it has the potential to be great once people fully understand how to do it. After all, in the 20 year history of gaming, it's only now that we have people trying out motion controls, so I don't expect miracles the next day.

Well... to be fair, F5 could have dropped a couple of features and focus on a few key moves to deepen or polish the game.

e.g.,

If dragon ram doesn't work well, drop it and focus on dragon melee instead.

Dropping human and then zoom in to his fall is also superfluous. Dropping rhino heads and then zoom in to the drop is better, but still gimmicky in my view. There are so many things going on in the game, F5 should help the player focus instead of introducing more distractions.

I just realize I forgot to slow down the dragon for the first 5 levels. If I can do that, the dragon flight controls even better.

Gamespot review is up

Gamespot review is up, and its 4.5

Now, can we all accept the following:

1. None of the mayor sites are "biased" against Lair\Factor 5
  2. There is no conspiracy theory
  3. The game is not very good (most people would say, not even "good")

Stop believing the marketing\hype train for a game, rather than the opinions of people who have actually played the game.

Stop believing the marketing\hype train for a game, rather than the opinions of people who have actually played the game.

I can't believe GS gave Nascar08 a 6.0 (which is the most horrible demo I ever played) and Lair 4.5

GS: NASCAR 08 is a decent racer, but it feels like a classic example of a game where the developer put in limited effort because of the lack of competition.

But I do agree that the tilt sensor sucks, almost all implementation of this function sucks.

Is this game really that bad?

yeah, i believe thousands of lair owners who much enjoyed the game over couple of dudes who runs a reveiw site. would b getting it the moment it hits Australia for sure.

I am depressed... that flowchart accurately describes most threads argueing about reviews :cry:

yeah, i believe thousands of lair owners who much enjoyed the game over couple of dudes who runs a reveiw site. would b getting it the moment it hits Australia for sure.

A poor review doesn't mean a game isn't fun or won't appeal to certain gamers. Reviews are an "opinion" art based on some basic criteria and critical approach. The scores are relative to a lot of things (games on the platform, the broader market, the genre, etc). A low score, like a 5, can mean something different everywhere. Some places, like Edge, a 5 is average, Other places it is horrible.

Anyhow, less those thousand Lair owners have the same gaming tastes you do why would their opinion be any more valid? One the one hand, critically, it is less valuable. From a "we like the same games" approach it may be more valuable. And from a fan perspective and the current PS3 lineup and what motived a lot of early adopters there may be some invested interest by many consumers to pick it up and enjoy it. And it may be enjoyable, just not as good as expected or hoped.

A score should never prevent anyone from enjoying a game; scores only give us a relative general barometer of how the critics evaluated it. Sales tell us how marketing was effective and whether consumers were compelled (hype, renting, catchy graphics, previews, critical acclaim, etc) to buy it.

You can like a game, agree on the specific issues the game has, and disagree with how your personal enjoyment relates to an arbitrary number that is only there to give a relevant means to gauge a games quality relative to other factors. Your enjoyment doesn't negate the issues or how it relates to the market though. e.g. I am more inclined to like a certain game in a small genre, even if significantly flawed, because it is unique. Relative to the market it has huge problems, but it offers me, personally, something I want.

Yeah, reviewers are always wrong and this must be a good game... because... what?

Yeah, reviewers are always wrong and this must be a good game... because... what?
now dont b silly, i never said reviewers wre always wrong. it's just in lair particular almost every single lair owners hav good to excellent impressions from the game which contradict greatly to the review sites. and that's definetly saying somefin. there're many factors involved like Joshua has mentioned. and Kevin from GS might simply b an individual who particularly doesnt cope well with the control or he hates the very idea of the 6axis.
and aside from the obvious such as epic feel, impressive graphics and sound. Lair is good because i love dragons and LOTR and Lair happens to fit into that genre perfectly. i will make further judgments till i get the copy.

now dont b silly, i never said reviewers wre always wrong. it's just in lair particular almost every single lair owners hav good to excellent impressions from the game which contradict greatly to the review sites. and that's definetly saying somefin. there're many factors involved like Joshua has mentioned. and Kevin from GS might simply b an individual who particularly doesnt cope well with the control or he hates the very idea of the 6axis.
and aside from the obvious such as epic feel, impressive graphics and sound. Lair is good because i love dragons and LOTR and Lair happens to fit into that genre perfectly. i will make further judgments till i get the copy.
Firefox has spell check!

The funny thing is I played the game (half way) and has the opposite experience as the reviewer. It is a major concern because it stopped him from enjoying the game.

I am very curious and surprised at how wide the experience can swing. If I were Sony, I will conduct a detailed study of the reviewers' SIXAXIS, how they played the game, and the settings (1080p ?), etc. I played the game on 720p.

kopio0 said:
Is this game really that bad?

The game is decent without the control issues. There are some dubious moments. The graphics varies from great to mediocre, mostly good. I stand by my previous comments about the game.

Someone mentioned you can play the game using non-SIXAXIS controllers, but I have not tried it yet.

wco81 said:
I remember MLB 07 The Show got very weak reviews everywhere.

But there are gamers who swear by that game.

The interesting thing is the polarized feedback about SIXAXIS in Lair.
I don't particularly swear by this game, other than I love the idea and some of the production values. The implementation does not flesh out the concept as well as I hope.

EDIT:
Just checked gamerankings.com, the average is about 6/10 now.

Here's another user review: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7646768&postcount=1420

Last edited by a moderator:

I am disappointed with that Patsu would give this game only a seven.

However, consider for a moment the comments on the control scheme using the sixaxis in the various reviews. You're going to have to agree with me that this is a pretty important aspect of a reviewer's enjoyment of this game.

Now I will ask you a simple question. Do you trust Patsu's review of the control scheme?

For me, that answer is simple. I loved super rub-a-duck, play Motorstorm with motion control only, and with some amusement have watched several people slowly change their mind about Warhawk's motion controls (which now that I got the game, they behave as expected - I'm only having some slight trouble adjusting to the hover mode, but considering what you can do with the plane in that mode, it's not that surprising - it's simply the aspect of the game with the most depth in terms of controls.)

That doesn't mean patsu can't be wrong. But based on previous experience, I have every reason to trust him better than most reviewers. Which means that they are quite a way off. It's a lot like some of the reviews of PS2 games released on PSP - if you never played the original then many of those are incredible experiences on a handheld. But reviewers have invariably always played the PS2 original and always end up comparing the two. In this case, it'll be a while before reviewers 'get' the sixaxis controls, I guess. Until that time, game creators are probably better off supporting both schemes, for the purpose of placating die-hard gamers who can't change their game. They remind me a lot of gamers who stick with the d-pad for a game like GT because they can't get used to driving with a wheel. I ask you ...

Personally, I loved motion sensing in Motorstorm, and can't play without it......It's just a matter of leaving the habit of the stick. Some people are impatient and switch back to the analog stick and that explains the bad reviews. coz the only reason they are giving for the low scores is the controls. If they play long enough before writing a review and let the game sink in and become natural, the scores will change.

Maybe alot of the reviewers aren't yet used to six axis\motion control and that is having a negative impact on their outlook.

Perhaps they should do some training with super rub-a-dub first just to get out of that ingrained\old style control pad usage.

It seems like the reviewers are trying to beat each other who can give the lowest score on this game.

:oops: Yeah, like that sort of conspiracy wouldn't get blown off the hinges by the first reviewer who thought it was unethical. For crying out loud, Matt C. has no problem throwing his own coworkers under the bus for minor issues, you think people like him would just let something so... nefarious... go unchecked?

Maybe the game is severely flawed and only people highly inclined to like the style & "good stuff" will enjoy it?

Can we just stop commenting on how all the reviewers are wrong? By all means post scores and valuable comments. Post your own comments and, even better, reviews. Even discuss points you may disagree with.

But this whole, "Everyone is against us" fanaticism is going nowhere and is totally childish. The whole conspiracy / "trying to sink the ship" mindset has no valuable input to the forum at all and makes it nearly impossible to take some of you remotely serious... on a forum where insightful comments and technical/market savvy are the expectation.

I'm glad that we've finally come to a consensus that all reviews with average/low scores are not conspirating or out on a crusade... or is there still those raving about "evil" reviews?

Joshua: EGM dropped the ball with the 5.0+ 6.0, then IGN came with the 4.9 review and now Gamespot with 4.5 - what's next, Gametrailers with a 4.0 / 10 review? :LOL:

If a reviewer come out with a postive review like 8-9/10 now I bet folks would think it's biased.

This game is this years biggest flopp for sure.

Joshua: EGM dropped the ball with the 5.0+ 6.0, then IGN came with the 4.9 review and now Gamespot with 4.5 - what's next, Gametrailers with a 4.0 / 10 review? :LOL:

This game is this years biggest flopp for sure.

Have it occured to you that EGM may have been to generous with their Lair score? ;)

If a reviewer come out with a postive review like 8-9/10 now I bet folks would think it's biased.

Somebody HAS to like the game, even "shitty" games have buyers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back