LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just downloaded and watched the E3 trailer from the PSN Store. Colour me impressed! I've never been impressed with this game until now. It looks absolutely incredible now!

After the Ninja Gaiden Sigma "full 1080P" stuff I don't trust any 1080P claims. I don't see how a game of this scope can run at 1080P with AA and not be 15 fps. I hope it's true, but I'd rather it be a good game and not sacrifice anything for 1080P.

What does one developer capabilities/talents have to do with another? IMO Factor 5 is far more capable of pulling “stuffâ€￾ out of the PS3 than Tecmo.

After the Ninja Gaiden Sigma "full 1080P" stuff I don't trust any 1080P claims. I don't see how a game of this scope can run at 1080P with AA and not be 15 fps. I hope it's true, but I'd rather it be a good game and not sacrifice anything for 1080P.

I'm nothing to do with the game so it's not a 'Factor 5' claim or anything, it's what the damn image is made up of. It's pretty effing obvious when you look at 1080p Ninja Gaiden Sigma screenshots that it's not rendered at 1920x1080,

On one of the pre-E3 1Up Yours podcasts I think they already mentioned having seen the latest Lair build and being really impressed by it technically, if not everyone liked the art-direction (Laa-Yosh has some friends there then ;) ).

Some updated impressions from E3 demo from Gamespot:

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6174463&pid=929230&tag=top_stories;title;22

Paying attention to the gameplay was a tough task though, mostly because Lair is simply stunning to look at. The draw distance is fantastic, and the enormous maps are rendered down to the last detail. We saw plenty of gorgeous details, from beautiful water shaders to lovely motion blurring when we did a 180-degree turn. Even more amazingly, Lair pulled it off without a single hitch in framerate, making for plenty of smooth flight. And as you can imagine for a game featuring so much fire, the flame effects are some of the best we've ever seen.

Well they arent on the money there. Lair looks to be a title that may have come off a little raw. The cinematic presentation was great but when moving into gameplay it became somewhat dull and repetitive. Outside of the scope of the title nothing comes off as impressive. Large empty environments with repetitive enemy engagements only to move to a city-esque landscape with very poor draw distance (the bridge sequence was very poor with poor AI and extremely similar character builds). Framerate issues did pop up throughout the gameplay. The fire effects whiel impressive are not the industries best. Reasonably impressive builds throughout the title are hampered by what looked to be poor shader and texture work. The media (screenshots, trailers) of this title is definitely not a good reference to gameplay that was on the floor.

Honestly Lair was the least impressive playable title amongst Sony excellent Fall lineup. (imo)

-This is just a personal impression and may differ there was definitely mixed feelings on the title on the show floor and amongst the media.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the hands on ! I will adjust my expectation accordingly. It remains an intriguing title for me because I want to know how far the developers can push PS3 at this point. Can you truly fly anywhere in the game ? e.g., Can I perch somewhere in the city and look out into the ocean ?

Thanks for the hands on ! I will adjust my expectation accordingly. It remains an intriguing title for me because I want to know how far the developers can push PS3 at this point. Can you truly fly anywhere in the game ? e.g., Can I perch somewhere in the city and look out into the ocean ?

Im not trying to give the "this is how it is approach" as of course opinions are going to differ. Although I feel that many of these other statements from media may have played a different game than I did at the show.

From what I played it was pretty linear in terms of where on can and cannot fly. A portion of the map was allocated to any given goal within this area free flight was capable but I dont think one can just fly around or at least that not the impression I got. Im not aware of any "perching" capabilities. Although I only had a chance to play for a few minutes on a couple of occasions.

Im not trying to give the "this is how it is approach" as of course opinions are going to differ. Although I feel that many of these other statements from media may have played a different game than I did at the show.

From what I played it was pretty linear in terms of where on can and cannot fly. A portion of the map was allocated to any given goal within this area free flight was capable but I dont think one can just fly around or at least that not the impression I got. Im not aware of any "perching" capabilities. Although I only had a chance to play for a few minutes on a couple of occasions.

Right ! I was asking whether one can roam freely within a level and how big that level is (The entire map is definitely too big to fit in). By perching, I also meant "Land the dragon" or hover above some vista point. :) Anyway the game will be out soon, I will provide my own impressions if the board is not already overloaded with Lair comments.

Play Magazine has eccentric taste in games. By "eccentric" I mean "crappy".

I've seen them rave about some real stinkers. They gushed over Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness for two pages.

What does one developer capabilities/talents have to do with another? IMO Factor 5 is far more capable of pulling “stuff” out of the PS3 than Tecmo.

I doubt Factor 5 are any better than the main Tecmo team, if both where to be given the same budget.

I wouldn't judge Tecmo's ability based on how their B team ported an Xbox 1 game to the PS3. Tecmo has, just like Factor 5, proven themselves to make not only good games, but also very good looking games. (Ninja Gaiden:Black is imo one of the best looking games on the xbox.)

I doubt Factor 5 are any better than the main Tecmo team, if both where to be given the same budget.

I wouldn't judge Tecmo's ability based on how their B team ported an Xbox 1 game to the PS3. Tecmo has, just like Factor 5, proven themselves to make not only good games, but also very good looking games. (Ninja Gaiden:Black is imo one of the best looking games on the xbox.)
Well, no offense but both Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike are way superior to NG in the graphics department.

Play Magazine has eccentric taste in games. By "eccentric" I mean "crappy".

I've seen them rave about some real stinkers. They gushed over Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness for two pages.

When you read this review, the words don't match up with the score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back