LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um... Try doing this:

Watch tv. Take your hand and place it infront of you, so your blocking about half the screen. Now focus on the tv. Is the hand getting out of focus\blurry? Now watch the hand, is the tv getting out of focus\blurry? There ya go, real life DoF.

Unless you got some kind of supervision, if your focusing your eyes on one thing, the things surrounding it will become blurry etc.

Yes, when my hand is RIGHT in front of my face. Unfortunately, in Lair, there are FEW situations where anything like that happens. The camera is never close enough on the dragon to ONLY focus on the dragon and present that kind of DOF.

Adding in DOF like has been discussed thus far would make the game look Silly, IMO, and entirely too fantasy (think Viva Pinata, Kameo, Madden, etc). It just looks stupid when it's not necessary.

I understand if they are aiming for presentation (i.e. like in Uncharted, when the screen pauses and the DOF kicks in for melee attacks) but having it just because is stupid. There's no reason, when you can present the detail in pristine 1080p with all of that detail, to add unnecessary un-realistic DoF just for the sake of having it.

It has it's places (again, during extreme close up scenes, if needed) but honestly, it's so ridiculously over used that it's stupid. I absolutely HATE it in 90% of my videogames. Replay's only please.

So when you see a movie with a clear guy standing in front of a sharp distant background, it means it is fake (2d background or cut-paste stuff).
This immediately illustrates why I should not continue this discussion with you or anyone else. This is so far off base it's not even funny.

Point blank, DoF in regular flying scenes for Lair would be ridiculous, and the presented focused is used for many reasons, mainly being that you can see the objectives and other dragons off in the distance, rather than hiding all of that wonderful detail that is being shown in 1080p, by a nasty 'blur' filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The soldiers on the bridge is on your side, defending the bridge against the attacking "Mocai" (or whatever they are called). So why would they attack you?

Correct?

Yes correct
On a side note, can we stop talking about DOF its driving me crazy :)

The soldiers on the bridge is on your side, defending the bridge against the attacking "Mocai" (or whatever they are called). So why would they attack you?

Correct?
That, and we shouldn't really expect complex AI from several hundred on screen soldiers/enemies (see Dead Rising, Kameo...).

That, and we shouldn't really expect complex AI from several hundred on screen soldiers/enemies (see Dead Rising, Kameo...).

Maybe we should. See Deano's comments on Heavenly Sword's army AI. Though we can't really fault developers that much either if it's not there.

Correct?

okay, that explains why they where waving but still they don't act like they are on a battlefield under a heavy fire at all.

Depends on what their orders are ...
That's actually true in principle, though I hadn't thought of it before you wrote this (and I do question if it'd actually apply). In the Napoleonic wars, you'd have soldiers form a square against cavalry charges even though they were getting shelled. You'd basically see them standing there getting shot at, and doing nothing about it. You'd also get armies just marching into combat situations. Still, I don't think that'd have a place in a computer game, as no matter how historically accurate it may be, it looks stupid and doesn't jibe with modern sense that if you're under attack, you try to do something about it!

Yes but it`s a fantasy game. I agree that it would look better if there were reactions to attacks, but I just wanted to point out that an army could have an order to stand ground at all costs.
There are modern examples as well (Iwo Jima). Maybe the game`s story tells us more about the background of those cultures.

Not true. A wide-angle lens reduces the amount of out-of-focussed area, as does a small aperture. Combined, you can create images with acceptable focus throughout. Digital composition isn't needed.

Contrary to what people believe a wide-angle lens is still a lens with smaller focus length (an artificial distinction) and it has the same limitations as any, with different parameters. Since I have been using relative and subjective terms, let me be clearer, there is no lens that can focus everywhere at the same time.

If you want to be really specific, no lens can focus on anything but a tiny depth. Everything else is out of focus. It's just out of focus to a tiny amount that looks in focus in the print! (Circle of least confusion in optical terminology)

Plus the only reason I mentioned wide-angle lenses is to counter the absurd notion that in movies you never get near and far objects in focus without composites or hacks. Obviously you wouldn't want a wide-angle lens in a game as it'll make everything look weird with the exaggerated perspective.

Furthermore, games are trying to recreate a movie experience rather than a first-person human-viewing experience. For this reason the game camera is set to mimic a film camera, and thus will have DOF affect the images. In a game these can be set arbitrarily without optical physics getting in the way, and besides it's a hack and not true DOF (blur proportional to distance) anyhow. Ignoring that however, the addition of a little DOF can greatly increase the sense of a movie experience. It's also a great facilitator to the player. To much focussed detail and key objects can get lost. If the fuzz the backgrounds a little, the action can be clearer. I myself dislike games with so much optical whizz-pop the game gets lost in it. Marvel Ultimate Alliance has some pretty crazy dynamic lighting that just gets in the way, along with noisy scenery and not-so-clear characters because of costume options. Bending the rules to make things easier is a good thing IMO. A splash of DOF doesn't make things look false at all. Whereas dodgy flight physics...

If you want to be really specific, no lens can focus on anything but a tiny depth. Everything else is out of focus. It's just out of focus to a tiny amount that looks in focus in the print! (Circle of least confusion in optical terminology)

Plus the only reason I mentioned wide-angle lenses is to counter the absurd notion that in movies you never get near and far objects in focus without composites or hacks.
From my perspective, your objection is totally artificial as near and far are relative terms.
Furthermore, games are trying to recreate a movie experience rather than a first-person human-viewing experience.
That is a misleading statement as it implies a conscious choice. Apart from some artistic aspects, the movie experience is a limitation of 2d medium, and I am pretty sure many would prefer living a movie rather than watching one. Games suffer from the same problem along with freedom of interactivity which adds a totally different dimension, so movie resembles tend to be limited to non-interactive scenes or QTEs which are pretty much same as movies anyway.

Contrary to what people believe a wide-angle lens is still a lens with smaller focus length (an artificial distinction) and it has the same limitations as any, with different parameters. Since I have been using relative and subjective terms, let me be clearer, there is no lens that can focus everywhere at the same time.

Does LAIR differ from the shot below with narrow aperture in terms of depth of field?

aparture.jpg

From my perspective, your objection is totally artificial as near and far are relative terms.
What a load of crock! Your just being obtuse now. You actually said...

So when you see a movie with a clear guy standing in front of a sharp distant background...

That is your example of near and far, and that is the example of near and far I'm talking about. And that's done in camera without jiggery-pokery. When you have a clear guy in front of a sharp distant background, that's obtainable without composites. I've done it myself with my very own camera, thank you very much!

...and I am pretty sure many would prefer living a movie rather than watching one.
Ignoring the fact that if you lived a movie you'd have all sorts of ghastly things happening to you (in this case I'd rather watch a fella riding a dragon in a warzone than be there myself)...in real life, though everything appears in focus as you look at it, everything isn't in focus. You don't see 100% of your FOV in pure clarity 100% of the time. The only bit you see in clarity is the object you're looking at. You can't recreate that in a game because it doesn't know where you're looking, but it's likely you'll be looking at the 'action' and so fuzzing out the background makes sense. It helps with the player's recognition of objects. Without stereoscopic vision to help, we're more dependent on edge detection and parallax to separate on-screen objects. Less 'noise' makes that easier. eg.

photo_example.jpg

In which image is the object of attention clearest? The perfectly clear image on the left, even if that's what the eye saw without limited focal range blurring the background, and without stereoscopic vision also splitting the background into two semi-opaque images overlaid and that contributing to 'blurring', and without the limited scope of the fovea, is not what the viewer would experience. Motion blur and selective viewing would 'pull out' the object of attention, and the background noise would be 'fuzzed into the background' even if that didn't happen with the optics (which it does). In trying to recreate how a person sees with a 2D screen, you'd still need to selectively obscure background details to focus on the objects of interest, as a real life person in that situation would be doing exactly the same.

So in summary, a game that has everything in focus all the time isn't matching human vision, but a movie camera. Lair should also feature large amounts of motion blur as the eye would, or as a camera with small aperture (to bring the background into focus) would (because of a need for a slow shutter). And finally, these are all artistic considerations because in a computer you can do exactly what you want anyway, but for gameplay reasons it'd be recommended to make sure the action stands out from the scenery to aid the player in following what's going on.

What a load of crock! Your just being obtuse now.
I appreciate a mature discussion as I tend to loose control and start insulting people as well.
You actually said...

So when you see a movie with a clear guy standing in front of a sharp distant background...

That is your example of near and far, and that is the example of near and far I'm talking about. And that's done in camera without jiggery-pokery. When you have a clear guy in front of a sharp distant background, that's obtainable without composites. I've done it myself with my very own camera, thank you very much!
No problem.
Even with regular lens you can take picture of a guy in front of a distant background, as the guy can be anywhere between the background and camera. From the context, it should have been clear that I meant close to the camera, so how are "close" and "distant" not relative?
Or do you claim your camera can take all-clear shots of every such setup?

Ignoring the fact that if you lived a movie you'd have all sorts of ghastly things happening to you (in this case I'd rather watch a fella riding a dragon in a warzone than be there myself)...
You can still experience it as a ghost observer there. You don't have to be the hero.
in real life, though everything appears in focus as you look at it, everything isn't in focus.
You don't see 100% of your FOV in pure clarity 100% of the time. The only bit you see in clarity is the object you're looking at. You can't recreate that in a game because it doesn't know where you're looking, but it's likely you'll be looking at the 'action' and so fuzzing out the background makes sense.

It helps with the player's recognition of objects. Without stereoscopic vision to help, we're more dependent on edge detection and parallax to separate on-screen objects. Less 'noise' makes that easier. eg.

photo_example.jpg

In which image is the object of attention clearest? The perfectly clear image on the left, even if that's what the eye saw without limited focal range blurring the background, and without stereoscopic vision also splitting the background into two semi-opaque images overlaid and that contributing to 'blurring', and without the limited scope of the fovea, is not what the viewer would experience. Motion blur and selective viewing would 'pull out' the object of attention, and the background noise would be 'fuzzed into the background' even if that didn't happen with the optics (which it does). In trying to recreate how a person sees with a 2D screen, you'd still need to selectively obscure background details to focus on the objects of interest, as a real life person in that situation would be doing exactly the same.

I wonder if you actually read any of the previous posts or you just like redundancy.

So in summary, a game that has everything in focus all the time isn't matching human vision, but a movie camera.
Wait a second, you are saying since we don't see everything in focus in real life (which is obvious), games are matching a movie camera which always shows everything clearly??
I added the "always" part as without it, sentence doesn't make any sense at all. Of course a movie camera clearly doesn't show everything in focus all the time, so where does this leave us? I am so confused:). It can also make more sense if you meant "a game that doesn't have everything in focus". Please don't explain how DoF can be used to bring attention to certain stuff on screen again.

And since matching doesn't convey an intention, how does it related to "Furthermore, games are trying to recreate a movie experience rather than a first-person human-viewing experience. "?

Or let me ask a simpler question. Does an FPS game for which there is no localized center of attention (focus), still try to recreate a movie experience as opposed to human vision?

Lair should also feature large amounts of motion blur as the eye would, or as a camera with small aperture (to bring the background into focus) would (because of a need for a slow shutter).
Just out of curiosity, if Lair is not matching human vision (whatever that means) why should it feature what eye would do?

What a load of crock! Your just being obtuse now. You actually said...

Ignoring the fact that if you lived a movie you'd have all sorts of ghastly things happening to you (in this case I'd rather watch a fella riding a dragon in a warzone than be there myself)...in real life, though everything appears in focus as you look at it, everything isn't in focus. You don't see 100% of your FOV in pure clarity 100% of the time. The only bit you see in clarity is the object you're looking at. You can't recreate that in a game because it doesn't know where you're looking, but it's likely you'll be looking at the 'action' and so fuzzing out the background makes sense. It helps with the player's recognition of objects. Without stereoscopic vision to help, we're more dependent on edge detection and parallax to separate on-screen objects. Less 'noise' makes that easier. eg.

photo_example.jpg

So in summary, a game that has everything in focus all the time isn't matching human vision, but a movie camera. Lair should also feature large amounts of motion blur as the eye would, or as a camera with small aperture (to bring the background into focus) would (because of a need for a slow shutter). And finally, these are all artistic considerations because in a computer you can do exactly what you want anyway, but for gameplay reasons it'd be recommended to make sure the action stands out from the scenery to aid the player in following what's going on.

This seems illogical. The game should not be responsible for adding fake effects to make it look like it is being viewed by a human - your eyes should do that from the light it receives. With still photography, you have a point because the eye cannot sample across multiple frames to produce its own motion blur. Focus is also an artistic effect designed to draw attention to region(s) of the image. Your eye and brain should also do this without hinting required.

I appreciate a mature discussion as I tend to loose control and start insulting people as well.
As well as who?

From the context, it should have been clear that I meant close to the camera, so how are "close" and "distant" not relative?
Whatever the relative distance, in a movie situation, it's going to be covered by a lens. You can have a person 2 metres from the lens, and have the background (at focal distance infinity) and them in crisp focus. It doesn't need tricks, and I can't see any reason why a movie producer would resort to tricks. Perhaps if you want to get a person on the side of the view in crisp focus so only their eyes fill the vertical frame, and have the rest of the scene populated with backdrop, all in focus, you'll be hard pushed (though a small enough aperture may still be able to resolve that). But how often does a movie do that?

Let's put it another way. You said So when you see a movie with a clear guy standing in front of a sharp distant background... From that I imagine you can see more than just their head, but maybe I misunderstood. Give us some examples of scenes in films (or photographs) where in order to get the close-up with the background, they've actually had to use 2D composites because it's not possible with a lens. Actually give an example to back up your idea - something to contrast with morlock's example which is a great example of what I thought you meant when you spoke of a guy standing in front of a distant background in a movie.

You can still experience it as a ghost observer there. You don't have to be the hero.
You said "living a movie". There's a world of difference between living it, and being an isolated observer. Furthermore I'd still question if people would want to actually be there. Like in war games. On screen it's unrealistic. Do you think most people who play GRAW or one of the WWII shooters would prefer to walk around a real live battlefield with people bleeding and dying and wailing with pain? To do think people would like to really be in a battlefield with people getting ripped in half and burnt alive by dragons? trading through pools of blood, past limbs and innards, and over the half-dead screaming in agony?

Wait a second, you are saying since we don't see everything in focus in real life (which is obvious), games are matching a movie camera which always shows everything clearly??
No, and in part I've muddled arguments in that post, as it wasn't you saying DOF was misplaced in Lair. I've followed on from your talk of distance objects not being focusable alongside near objects, to a separate argument on the points off natural representation of images having blurring. This was more an issue that tha_con raised. the post wasn't 100% targetted at your opinions and yours alone, and in that it wasn't clear.

So I'm saying that a film camera can resolve all parts of the film in focus if the photographer wants to (conditions being suitable) in contrast to your view, and also I'm saying the eye has non-perfect image resolution (contrary to tha_con, rather than yourself who appreciates this), and finally that in a game, on the whole, developers are aiming for a cinematic experience.

Or let me ask a simpler question. Does an FPS game for which there is no localized center of attention (focus), still try to recreate a movie experience as opposed to human vision?
Isn't that exaplined in my above comment? 'On the whole' means most of the time, generally, and certainly not all the time. Added with 'Movie experience rather than first person experience' means that there'll be times when the developers are wanting to recreate the first-person view rather than the movie-camera view, and clearly one of those situations is going to be a first-person shooter! In these cases it's clear trying to recreate the human viewing experience is impossible without eye-tracking, so the best solution, and the solution developers have opted for, is to render everything clearly so the player's eye can wander wherever it wants and have wherever they look in focus.

Just out of curiosity, if Lair is not matching human vision (whatever that means) why should it feature what eye would do?
It shouldn't. My statement covered both examples (as response to tha_con's argument against blurring), that whether it's a human eye viewing Lair, or a movie camera, background blurring will occur, and is generally beneficial to the player. The only time it isn't is if the player wants to stop looking at their dragon and the opponents and instead take in the scenery, where if it's blurred they can't do that.

Can someone explain me what is so wrong with an image that shows everything clearly?

And why is it so necessary and hugely important to recreate and simulate "eyes"?

I am playing a game with beautiful scenery. I want to be able to see that scenery and beautiful graphics clearly as well as whats going on around.

Who gives a penny about "how my eye's or camera's lens" work and their limitations in real life?

Can someone explain me what is so wrong with an image that shows everything clearly?

And why is it so necessary and hugely important to recreate and simulate "eyes"?
It's not. As these are imaginary renderings not confined by physical optics, developers can render however they want to. They can choose to render everything in perfect clarity, or go for a more optically-realistic effect through blur. The latter choice adds to realism and can make it clearer what's happening, but does prevent the player being able to see clearly the far-off distant scenery if they choose to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back