LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kind of noise, and what one has posted, are pretty different then what's in the Lair screenshot.
One's images are downsized photos, hence the small frequency. The USN picture is well filtered noise too, if it'd be in a video it wouldn't flicker.
Lair's stuff would be a mess of flickering jaggies.

Wrong again, a tsunami or a large wave like a tidal wave could be caused by any number of things that does not necessarily originate from the ocean floor, regardless the cause is irrelevent since it still creates a surface wave that travels at very high speed. You are wrong get over it.

Damn. I just double checked and my recollection of ocean wave propagation was not accurate. I mixed two things up: what constitutes deep water (it's wavelength vs depth, not amplitude vs depth), and which ocean wave propagation model is dispersive (I thought the shallow water model was dispersive).

You are right, a tsunami wave does fit into a surface wave model, but of the shallow water variety (i.e. wavelength comparable to or larger than water depth). In such a model, the wave propagation speed is dependent only on the depth of the water, and out in the middle of the ocean, where the sea is a few km deep, the shallow water wave model does predict propagation speeds of a few hundred km/h.

However, that's only for waves that fit the shallow water model. Most ocean surface waves have wavelengths much smaller than the water depth, and obey the deep water model. This model predicts that wave propagation is slightly dependent on wavelength (i.e. the medium is dispersive). Longer wavelengths propagate faster. The relationship is a square-root. A 25m wave moves about 6 m/s, whereas a 50m wave moves about 8 m/s, a difference in speed equal to an adult walk.

My refresher on ocean wave models still tells me the same thing: Lair's explosion ripples are very wrong. They should not be moving faster than the other waves. In fact, since the explosion ripples have smaller wavelengths than the other waves, they should be propagating a bit more slowly.

Maybe it's time for you to actually watch some military footage of destroyers shooting their canons...or atomic explosions at sea...

I think you're confusing what's a surface wave with the surface disturbance caused by the air shockwave from the explosion.

Those do look great. I think I'll have to pick this up just for the eye-candy-ness of it all!

One thing that does bug me (and I've been trying to put my finger on it for a while) is the seemingly inertia-less dragons. When I ride one of those suckers I want to actually feel like I've got a huge beast weighing X tons under me.*

*A Freudian could have a field day with that!

There are a few things that still is a bit jerky. For one there is the apparent grid in the water, but only when flying at a very high altitude, like 15.000 feet? And secondly the animation on the dragon is a bit floaty when he comes out walking from the stable. Otherwhise it's looks really great and it seems like it have improved alot!

It would be cool though if they added a wide angle camera just behind the rider on the dragon for a closer third person view, that should make it feel more like riding a 5 ton beast.

Thanks!

That snake actually doesn't look that interesting, but it may change when you're playing of course.

Anyway, the final movie is probably the most interesting one.

It does look like a playable demo might be close at hand. Keeping my fingers crossed! It's definitely a massive game.

This game just went from a maybe in my book to a must get. The scale and such seems to be much better and now that they've shown more environments and fighting, it seems definitely to be much bigger. The fire effect and explosions seems improved and they've added more colours. They've even improved the crowd AI so they seem less organized when you get closer.

A few things I want to see fixed :

1. "skating" on the ground. The monsters and troops do this quite noticeably. Especially annoying is when the dragon is fighting the ground troops and they visibly skate away when they are pushed instead of reacting realistically.

2. Flickering shadows.

3. "Choppy" animations on the big flat floating bugs.

The fire seems to have got some tweaking again in some videos, looking better.

Also I like "whipping" by Sixaxis.

imho I'm very disappointed for the crappy frame rate...some sequences from these videos look close to unplayable.

Are you sure that's the game rather than the movie? My PC (Athlon 2500, Radeon 9600) plays 720p movies no bother on the whole, but it creeps and stutters like billy-o on these. Quicktime just stops after a bit. VideoLAN is smoother but still has major issues.

imho I'm very disappointed for the crappy frame rate...some sequences from these videos look close to unplayable.

I think it has pretty decent framerate, some drops here and there what i can see. I will watch these 720p/MP4 on the PS3 later since that machine can run these files more smoothly.

Someting that is more anoying thou is the 2D grass that rotates with the camera, hope they fix that. Looks like something used on the PS1.

Are you sure that's the game rather than the movie? My PC (Athlon 2500, Radeon 9600) plays 720p movies no bother on the whole, but it creeps and stutters like billy-o on these. Quicktime just stops after a bit. VideoLAN is smoother but still has major issues.

i just picked up and played on my ps3...take a look to that bridge gameplay you couldnt notice framerate drops...i hope it's just an mp4 porting from a bad captured source.

The videos were great, especially the Sixaxis one. The game looks top notch, including acting, music, story, etc. It will be great to get something other than the typical shooter or racing games that consoles have been saturated with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back