LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great water ! The explosion ripple still looks wierd though. I said it's too fast, some said it's too slow. I don't know how they can improve it (Shifty suggested "remove it !" :) ).

I checked out some WWII photos of exploding war ships. The sea doesn't really ripple at that instance. What's more obvious is the falling debri/water (the splashing !).

OTOH, I kinda like the sea worm video. Can't wait for the demo to experience it for myself.

cool thanks! DL now for streaming to my 360... it looks more like the real game that way. :smile:

For PS3 folks, gametrailers.com is working on MP4 support so that we can download and view it on PS3 directly:
http://forums.gametrailers.com/showpost.php?p=2397262&postcount=24

MP4 is playable on Mac, PC, Linux, iPod, PS3 and Wii (?) anyway. It'll be win-win for them to support it natively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great water ! The explosion ripple still looks wierd though. I said it's too fast, some said it's too slow. I don't know how they can improve it (Shifty suggested "remove it !" :) ).

The explosion ripples clearly move way too fast. They should be moving at the exact same speed as the other waves on the water. Few things bother me more than artists who have no grasp of basic physics.

Yeah, comeon, if that wasn't in game, then my goodness - it is close enough to the minimum that could be expected from next-gen Rockstar game.

i stay neutral on this game but it has been shown many times that this games look scrap when you see still pictures but in motion it look amazing -like the developer walkthru video last month. i want direct feed gamelplay video!!!

PA reads B3D?

20070601.jpg

Some of the new shots on Playsyde feature improved lighting, better terrain textures and a few other advancements.
But for each of these, you get something like this, too...
lowpoly dragon
super noisy water

The good news is that it does get better looks over time. Must be a crazy race against the clock if they don't delay it a bit more; it would certainly help the graphics a lot.

They must've scrapped everything we've seen in the first techdemo, though, that's the only explanation for showing such rushed content that we've seen in the past months...

Some of the new shots on Playsyde feature improved lighting, better terrain textures and a few other advancements.
lowpoly dragon
super noisy water

The good news is that it does get better looks over time. Must be a crazy race against the clock if they don't delay it a bit more; it would certainly help the graphics a lot.

They must've scrapped everything we've seen in the first techdemo, though, that's the only explanation for showing such rushed content that we've seen in the past months...
The pics (are they from the latest build?) are sourced from
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070608/rfl.htm
and the second pic is 1080p actually with armies and dragons fighting each other.
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070608/rfl05.jpg
As long as the water realistically animates when flying by it will be less noticeable depending on angle and height.

134_sun.jpg

OceanEntreyWeb.jpg

Molokini%20Aerial_Molokini%20Crater,%20Maui,%20Hawaii.jpg

lowpoly dragon
super noisy water

the "super noise water" shot is TOO AWSOME, it's full of eyecandies on a seemingly endless scale. and it's still one of the early build.

Looks fine to me (the water close up and far away). The scale is incredible. The color is em... lacking :)

If framerate is smooth, I will spend quite a bit of time exploring the world and testing the boundaries... like swooping under the bridge, bathing in the fire, free falling, etc.

lowpoly dragon
super noisy water

Can you explain a little further what your problem with the Super noisy water is?

I am probably missing the point but it looks like there are hordes of "something" in the water, if not and it is all supposed to be water then it's so bad that I can't believe they released the pic, what's your take?

As I understand it, the water is physics based, so any form it takes will have well thought-through reasoning that allows it to look like what real water would look like no matter how un-artistic. As shown by one, water can and does look like that sometimes.

The one with the low poly dragon does look very bad. I hope its just a matter of LOD, but its also very possible that since its one of the enemy dragons, it has a lower polygon-priority and will end like that in the final game....

As I understand it, the water is physics based, so any form it takes will have well thought-through reasoning that allows it to look like what real water would look like no matter how un-artistic. As shown by one, water can and does look like that sometimes.

Physics based doesn't mean accurate. Unless they are doing a calculation of every single water molecule and taking into account the riverbed's geometry there is definately room for error. I don't know just how they are doing the water, but I have seen a few shots that didn't look quite right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back