LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ships are "packed with explosives", and I personally haven't seen the effect of something large exploding on deep water. Have you? That effect might be fairly accurately simulated for all I know.

That doesn't mean that those ships should explode like a fire crackers. I seen real footage of WWII ship attacks and nothing in Lair mimicks that. Most people don't have actual experience of how wooden war ships explode but we've all been conditioned by movies that ships whether new or 1000s of years old don't simply disintegrate into dust from one big explosion.

This is not a simulation game.
It's the game that gives you an imaginative and fun world.
Gamers always want bigger guns and explosions. I think this game provides that. It doesn't have to be accurate otherwise it's not fun any more.

That doesn't mean that those ships should explode like a fire crackers. I seen real footage of WWII ship attacks and nothing in Lair mimicks that. Most people don't have actual experience of how wooden war ships explode but we've all been conditioned by movies that ships whether new or 1000s of years old don't simply disintegrate into dust from one big explosion.

I see some debris flying around in this gif.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/wowsham/1.gif

Regardless. I'm not an expert but i'm pretty sure video games aren't real ;)

I think he means that the boat wreck just disappears in the explosion instead of leaving wreck parts/debris that sink.

The graphics in this game are the least of it's problems IMO. How it's gameplay looks is a whole different can of worms.

Of course a game can be too accurate to be fun.
Of course a game can be too inaccurate to be fun.

But as long as you only preach one of those, you'd be better off saying nothing.

Lol, do you guys remember the lightbulb "discussion" in the Resistance thread ?

Ok, there are flaws in this game (which is still not released fyi) and I also had my part in pointing out some things that bug me. But some stuff in here is over the top imo.

It's a game that appears to have no (or very selective) gravity, which doesn't fit in well with the notion of these being very physical creatures.

The dragon i have faced most times had no problem hovering (phase 2) and she was just as big as these dragons.. her deep breath hurt alot though and it seems these dragons exchanged that for a more point specific kind of damamge.

why even debate this, its a game its meant to be unrealistic
Au contraire, mon ami! The developers have stated numerous times they're going for realism. They want these animals to feel like physical animals with a physical presence. They've chosen physical attacks instead of fireballing everything, to add to that realism. By that same token, they should go for realistic animation and motion too. You can't have an illusion of a large, heavy animals without incorporating their physical respnose to natural forces. This doesn't need to affect gameplay at all either. I've played games (mostly space shooters) where you can hover on the spot shooting at a target, and I personally prefer games that force forward motion where you have to straffe targets, pulling away in the last minute to avoid collisions. If Factor 5 want the game to have hovering, that's fine - that's their game design. It should just have some beating of the wings to show the dragon's physically lifting itself into the air. As it is, the dragon flies along at 200 mph, getting lift obviously, whether it's truly aerodynamic or not, and then slows to 5 mph and still gets enough lift to stay in the air. Don't you think it'd look a lot cooler and more convincing of mass if as the dragon slowed down, it beat it's wings with deep, hollow 'whoofs'?

From dev video I understood they use "bullit time" a la Max Payne to slow down time and let you do more stuff while the enemy acts like in slow motion.

Couldn't this be what happens in the video when the dragon kind of freeze in mid air?

From dev video I understood they use "bullit time" a la Max Payne to slow down time and let you do more stuff while the enemy acts like in slow motion.

Couldn't this be what happens in the video when the dragon kind of freeze in mid air?

No it's the same with or without "slo-mo" mode.

Pulling away in the last minute to avoid collisions. If Factor 5 want the game to have hovering, that's fine - that's their game design. It should just have some beating of the wings to show the dragon's physically lifting itself into the air. As it is, the dragon flies along at 200 mph, getting lift obviously, whether it's truly aerodynamic or not, and then slows to 5 mph and still gets enough lift to stay in the air. Don't you think it'd look a lot cooler and more convincing of mass if as the dragon slowed down, it beat it's wings with deep, hollow 'whoofs'?

Quoted for truth, makes one percept the dragons as huge, fierce and heavy beasts.

Hungry Dragon - Where is the food?

Au contraire, mon ami! The developers have stated numerous times they're going for realism. They want these animals to feel like physical animals with a physical presence. They've chosen physical attacks instead of fireballing everything, to add to that realism. By that same token, they should go for realistic animation and motion too. You can't have an illusion of a large, heavy animals without incorporating their physical respnose to natural forces. This doesn't need to affect gameplay at all either. I've played games (mostly space shooters) where you can hover on the spot shooting at a target, and I personally prefer games that force forward motion where you have to straffe targets, pulling away in the last minute to avoid collisions. If Factor 5 want the game to have hovering, that's fine - that's their game design. It should just have some beating of the wings to show the dragon's physically lifting itself into the air. As it is, the dragon flies along at 200 mph, getting lift obviously, whether it's truly aerodynamic or not, and then slows to 5 mph and still gets enough lift to stay in the air. Don't you think it'd look a lot cooler and more convincing of mass if as the dragon slowed down, it beat it's wings with deep, hollow 'whoofs'?

I think disappearing ship is unfortunate but many "realistic" fps games have disappearing bodies so this is normal in games. Still I prefer garbage in water than disappearance of ships.

Flight of dragon is not so difficult to believe without magic. 500 sq (50 ft wing span, 10 feet avg chord) feet wing area is enough for 5000 lbs dragon to hover. Real problem for dragon is too high metabolism. This is a lot of food. So biggest problem for Lair is not flying dragon but hungry dragon!

A powerful enough explosion can all-but-vaporize the container of the explosives. Didn't anyone see that episode of Mythbusters where they destroyed a cement-mixer truck??

Wouldn't be the first time. I went to an informal game workshop yesterday in Stanford U. Some attendee mentioned that people were arguing about magic arrow realism in another forum.

I'm just hoping for good SIXAXIS control... and fix the issues highlighted in the Wired article. The other eye candies will have to wait (in my book). I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. I didn't expect to "play the original trailer" anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back