LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been mention here or on the Wired article of the geometry popping? I rewatched the Dev walkthrough in HD and I've noticed that the popping-in of detail is quite noticeable and definitely breaks the illusion. Hopefully they can fix/tweak their progressive mesh priorities along with the other complaints.

2nticl4.jpg

2ic0dqq.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/Stillmatiking/lairleap2-1.gif
http://la.gg/upl/lair_swipe.gif
http://la.gg/upl/lair_grapple.gif
http://i19.tinypic.com/2zxtv9t.gif

Lair has the more impressive visual overall. I mean, draw distance, physics, number of the elments on the screen and level of detail. The realtime cutscenes are so CGish and more impressive than any other realtime game cutscene so far. But in terms of gfx only, Crysis and Uncharted are more impressive.
Crysis, yes. Uncharted? :LOL: god no.

Empty words? My claim is based on my reactions and the reactions of those in this thread. Rogue Squadron II and III were unquestionably tour de force's with the technology they had going on. Lair's tech is good and maybe even great, but it's not unquestionably with the best of the best.

Maybe the competition wasn´t so great on the Nintendo platform so it was easier for F5 to look special. Well.. i was starting to have my doubts about F5 and their technical skills, mostly based on some of the harsh critics in these threads.

The developer videos put all that to shame, i think they are some of the first "whoa" videoes i have seen on the so called next gen platforms. They certainly seem to have nailed the Streaming technique :)

So many things going on on screen, so much details...
Very impressive - and what a beautiful sea !
But, for some reason, I still dislike some of the animation, especially the transtition phase from simply riding the dragon to engaging in combat with another creature...

Well, they have much harsher competition on PS3 than they had on Gamecube.
I'm speaking industry-wide, not console-wide.

Yet you can't mention a better console engine, I bet you would have if you could.
What is it other engines does which the Lair engine doesn't? Where is it outperformed?
I have no need to overcome your challenge, as if I am wrong unless I can. Now, if you would like to contradict what I've said and prove I'm wrong, that's fine.

But there's the fact that the parts the GS and GT videos share with the IGN videos the IGN videos look worse.
Fine. I'm just saying that lighting is so variable anymore that, shot to shot, the apparent quality and look of the game can vary greatly.

I don't think it was necessary to start making comparisons about this game with others. The game looks fantastic but it obviously has kinks to be worked out (AI and LOD were ones I noticed as well). I'm still hoping it will be a solid title, though Factor 5 were never very strong in the gameplay department.

Lost planet looks great outdoors, and some of the lobbies are beautiful, but the character models and some of the indoor stuff leave much to be desired. I don't think this is the place to discuss it though nor any other 360 title.

I can't believe I didn't watch the developer interview until now. All I got to say is WOW. Now this game has renewed my interest. There is however a few things that looks out of place, but I'm sure they'll improve on that.

on the right is the capture from gamespot of the same build as ign

It looks like ign messed up with their capture.

Errr...it looks like different LOD, has nothing to do with capture techniques...

IMO in the developer videos, the LOD was cranked up to "show off" the technology, while the IGN videos showed actual LOD during actual "gameplay".

- right now the ripples caused by the explosion of a ship actually break the illusion, because they look much less realistic than the rest.

Yeah... the ripple is too fast. I wonder what will happen if > 1 boats explode at the same time (Will the ripples overlap ?).

Needless to say, besides chewing up human, I will also drop princesses, knights, horses, rhinos (full or just head only), tree stumps or anything I can find into the sea... just to see what kind of ripple they generate.

EDIT: What was I thinking ? Girls deserve better. I shall slide princesses down the waterfall instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet you can't mention a better console engine, I bet you would have if you could.
What is it other engines does which the Lair engine doesn't? Where is it outperformed?

Alan Wake?

But I'll admit that the video did start to burn a $600 hole in my pocket. I will keep a close eye on this, as I could use a nice tech demo (if gameplay is lacking) for my PS3 (when I get one).

Errr...it looks like different LOD, has nothing to do with capture techniques...

IMO in the developer videos, the LOD was cranked up to "show off" the technology, while the IGN videos showed actual LOD during actual "gameplay".

True and would not be the first time (GDC 06), and I wonder what res it was running on on the developer videos (1080p or 720p). And remember that the AI was almost disabled in the developer video and there where no foot soldiers visible. Just noticed that the pieces flying of the ships when they explode seem to be a shader effect (2D "sprite")!

Edit: Still looks great.

True and would not be the first time (GDC 06), and I wonder what res it was running on on the developer videos (1080p or 720p). And remember that the AI was almost disabled in the developer video and there where no foot soldiers visible. Just noticed that the pieces flying of the ships when they explode seem to be a shader effect (2D "sprite")!

I cannot see that. Where is the disabled AI? I can see that he's fighting ships and other dragons in that videos and that alot of action is going on.

Also, i cannot see your "2D-sprites" as those explosion particles clearly move in 3D and also get bigger the closer he comes. But maybe i watched another video than you did here? ;)

More like you don't know F5 ;)
We have only seen very small environments with very little going on in them so far. Until they show something actually impressive, Lair is far, FAR beyond Uncharted.

no i know very well factor 5 but if you believe that uncharted is only small environments and just enough well you don't know nothing about Nd.So we'll see how look uncharted when it come out :D

I cannot see that. Where is the disabled AI? I can see that he's fighting ships and other dragons in that videos and that alot of action is going on.

Also, i cannot see your "2D-sprites" as those explosion particles clearly move in 3D and also get bigger the closer he comes. But maybe i watched another video than you did here? ;)

Only the nearest dragons seems to shot at him. Moves in 3D doesn't mean it is 3D (object can move in 3D but be 2D in shape!). ;)

Only the nearest dragons seems to shot at him. Moves in 3D doesn't mean it is 3D (object can move in 3D but be 2D in shape!). ;)

Ok, let me be a little bit clearer. They move in 3D, the rotate in 3D and they zoom in 3D, so what makes them a 2D Sprite now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back