MS Bumps up the Xbox live games limit

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
I'm pretty sure many will not see this as bad news:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156520

"The Xbox Live Arcade file size was capped at 50 MB to accommodate consumers who purchased the hard drive-less Xbox 360 Core SKU (those consumers had to use one of Microsoft's memory cards). Under condition of anonymity, sources revealed to 1UP that the file size for Xbox Live Arcade titles has been increased from 50 MB to 250 MB and with Microsoft's approval, that size can be expanded to 450 MB. When asked for comment on the reported change to file size, Microsoft said, "We do not comment on rumor and speculation and so we can not confirm that rumor. Aside from the exception we granted for 'Castlevania: Symphony of the Night,' we have not announced any plans to alter the file size standard for Xbox Live Arcade games. However, adjusting the size limit is certainly an option in the future, and as always, we are listening to feedback both from gamers and developers on what will provide the best user experience. Whatever choice we make, we will hold a position that provides for the best possible Xbox Live Arcade gameplay experience."

Definately not bad news in any light. They should just remove the limit, but then you got the core system...

But anyways this is good news for sure.

Finally.

Now, i just hope PC developers start releasing good classic games.

I want stuff like Fallout 2, NFS:porsche and other great games from the past.

=)

How about MS creating a program for windows that you use to log in with your live account and download arcade games and then the program burns them out on a CD or DVD for you to stick into your xbox.

UI'm sure MS could figure out some smart encrypion or somesuch that locks downloads to that particular live account to prevent piracy.

With 450MB arcade games and downloaded movies and TV showss harddrive space will run out almost instantly.

Peac.

Why 450MB and not the CD size 650MB? Or just the Castlevania game is 450MB?

Sorry for the hard efforts of some devs who squeezed it for the 50MB limit!

i personally reckon ms should have made HDD standard. core price is far from $500 ps3, i just don't understand how :devilish:

What I want to know is whay they did bother with bumping up the limit of the Xbox Live Arcade games, for Castlevania SOTN, or any othe rgame, when they could have done something alot more easier, that would haven't changed anything for the Core users with 64MB memory cards.

XBLA description put forth that all it games are easy to picj up and play and require short play times. Castlevania SOTN doesn't fit this definition much, if at all.

Solution, just create a new online game delivery system. This new service would be used for selling the bigger games, more conventional games.
A new service which, in facts, would just another line to the X360 dashboard.

That way, the XBLA service, with the simplier games and old arcade port, would still be available for the Core pack users, with a memory card, while the new service will give the option to the HDD owners to download larger games.

I thought it was kinda cool that they were keeping games under a certain size and price. Also I thought it would be beneficial for devs to work in such a strict envirnment and see what they learn and see how what they learn translates into bigger games. Also I though the smaller size helped to encourage smaller indie devs.
I don't think you need more space for creativity and originality so I don't see what the problem is.
This will mean we will see more expensive bigger budget games,which could make it even harder for indie devs to compete. Which is what I really thought the biggest strength of XBLA would be. Not that it's really lived up to that promise all that well anyway,but the vision seems to be really watered down now.
Who knows maybe this will encourage more devs to make more new original games(ya right) which won't be a bad thing. I can't help but wonder when MS will inevitably lift the limit completely and the promise of XBLA is a place for small,unique and original games will disappear completely. :sleep:

I thought it was kinda cool that they were keeping games under a certain size and price. Also I thought it would be beneficial for devs to work in such a strict envirnment and see what they learn and see how what they learn translates into bigger games. Also I though the smaller size helped to encourage smaller indie devs.
I don't think you need more space for creativity and originality so I don't see what the problem is.
This will mean we will see more expensive bigger budget games,which could make it even harder for indie devs to compete. Which is what I really thought the biggest strength of XBLA would be. Not that it's really lived up to that promise all that well anyway,but the vision seems to be really watered down now.
Who knows maybe this will encourage more devs to make more new original games(ya right) which won't be a bad thing. I can't help but wonder when MS will inevitably lift the limit completely and the promise of XBLA is a place for small,unique and original games will disappear completely. :sleep:

Completely agree. Essentially indie pocket game.

XBLA description put forth that all it games are easy to picj up and play and require short play times. Castlevania SOTN doesn't fit this definition much, if at all.

Solution, just create a new online game delivery system.
That's the most sensible solution. I guess MS didn't want to add more options to confuse pundits with though. Live! Arcade already has a reputation for delivering download games. Furthermore you may still get quick 'pick up and play' games that exceed 50 MB, which would fit into Arcade. So overall, up the limit and reduce the definition of Arcade titles.

It would be nice for another delivery system instead of increasing the size limit on Live Arcade, but I don't see it happening with the Community Arcade(XNA games) just around the corner. I suspect that the Community Arcade is where the true indie games will be found.

BTW, there may be another reason why the limit might be increasing. They may not be getting as many games coming in under 50MB. There's just so many retro games that people can take. :) So they're probably increasing the limit in order to keep the flow of original Arcade games coming.

Tommy McClain

While I loved my Dreamcast, I can already see the phrases that would be thrown around, "Xbox 360 really IS the Dreamcast", "Dreamcast 2.0". Microsoft might be trying to steer away from that stigma, seeing as how so many people, somehow, try to equate MSFT/360 with SEGA/DC.

There are tonnes of DC games that would be perfect for the Arcade, however. Two off the top of my head: Crazy Taxi and Chu Chu Rocket.

Mr Driller too, actually (can't stop at two!)

Back