Why not Anti-Reflective coating for LCD HDTV ?

pascal

Veteran
LCD HDTVs have an Anti-Glare treatment for their screens much like what most PC monitors have.
My XBlack PC monitor has this crystal clear like visual looks for the image which I like very much :love:
because of the Anti-Reflective treatment.

To understand the difference between Anti-Reflective and Anti-Glare see this page: http://www.screentekinc.com/pixelbright-lcds.shtml

Most LCD screens use an anti-glare (AG) treatment on their top surface to diffuse the reflected light from external lighting sources. This is also true of some older CRT monitors. This treatment consists of laminating a matte (rough) surface layer to the LCD. When light hits this rough surface it bounces off at different angles which reduces the intensity of light reflecting off of the surface and hitting your eyes. While this reduces the intensity of light, it does, however, leave a hazy image of the reflection which may block the onscreen image. Unfortunately, this treatment also distorts the image generated by the LCD.

An anti-reflective LCD screen does not have a rough matte anti-glare surface. Instead, it has a coating of an anti-reflective (AR) chemical (mganesium fluoride) that actually reduces reflected light by lowering the Refractive Index of the surface of the LCD panel to a number closer to that of air. This process is known as index matching. This reduces the reflection and refraction of ambient light as it hits the surface of the LCD display. Also, because the surface of an anti-reflective LCD has a smooth gloss finish, the image is crystal clear rather than distorted.

In fact this crystal transperency adds so much that sometimes I thing my PC monitor looks better than my LCD HDTV.

Why the LCD HDTVs manufacturers dont offer us some models with Anti-Reflective treatment? This could great specially with top LCD HDTV.
IIRC some plasmas from Panasonic have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
LCD HDTVs have an Anti-Glare treatment for their screens much like what most PC monitors have.
My XBlack PC monitor has this crystal clear like visual looks for the image which I like very much :love:

To unsertand the difference between Anti-Reflective and Anti-Glare see this page: http://www.screentekinc.com/pixelbright-lcds.shtml

In fact this crystal transperency adds so much that sometimes I thing my PC monitor looks better than my LCD HDTV.

Why the LCD HDTVs manufacturers dont offer us some models with Anti-Reflective treatment? This could great specially with top LCD HDTV.

Mmm Plasmas are reflective cause the screen is actually made of glass (last time i checked), instead of plastic on LCD.

Why the LCD HDTVs manufacturers dont offer us some models with Anti-Reflective treatment?
Because, while antireflective screens may actually reduce the amount of light reflected – compared to coatings that attempt to disperse the reflections – the perceived effect is somewhat opposite. When the screen is dark, a high-gloss anti-reflective LCD us basically a mirror, and I can easily see how this might be objectionable to many users under typical lighting conditions when, say, watching dark scenes in a movie.

Now, under ideal conditions it would bring an improvement, but I don't think the tradeoff is worth it on TVs (on laptops/PC-monitors, on the other hand, the marked has (understandably) decided different, but I still wish for a matte screen sometimes when watching movies on travel).

Because, while antireflective screens may actually reduce the amount of light reflected – compared to coatings that attempt to disperse the reflections – the perceived effect is somewhat opposite. When the screen is dark, a high-gloss anti-reflective LCD us basically a mirror, and I can easily see how this might be objectionable to many users under typical lighting conditions when, say, watching dark scenes in a movie.

Now, under ideal conditions it would bring an improvement, but I don't think the tradeoff is worth it on TVs (on laptops/PC-monitors, on the other hand, the marked has (understandably) decided different, but I still wish for a matte screen sometimes when watching movies on travel).
I not saying that all HDTVs should have an anti-reflective treatment, I am saying we could have an option, and some models could have this look. This could be usefull in an controlled environment or when the user doesnt worry about it.

My trinitrons TVs have a flat reflective surfaces, my LCD monitor too. I am used to it.

My guess it's sort of like the BrightView option you see on notebooks.

The glossy reflection makes the LCD seem more black when the room is lit, as it doesn't scatter part of the incoming light towards the viewer. Unfortunately, when a light is directly behind you, then you do see a reflection and need to change your TV's orientation or your viewing position. That's where the matte anti-reflection coatings are better, because they diffuse everything. For TV's it's good to have the matte anti-glare because you might have windows or lamps behind the TV that give an annoying reflection in an anti-reflective coating. Putting AR on a TV might result in more returns.

In my office I was shocked how good my notebook's LCD looked compared to the CRTs with the lights on. Once you turn the lights off, however, it's a completely different story, with the CRT being almost pitch black and the LCD emitting a nasty blue-grey. AR would definately sell notebooks and LCD monitors in, say, Best Buy.

Mmm Plasmas are reflective cause the screen is actually made of glass (last time i checked), instead of plastic on LCD.

Most if not all plasmas have a plastic coating over the glass. This plastic coating can be made to function as a AR filter if needed.

To understand the difference between Anti-Reflective and Anti-Glare see this page: http://www.screentekinc.com/pixelbright-lcds.shtml

AR coatings have been used on eyeglasses, binoculars, camera lenses etc for decades. The problem is you can see almost everything reflected off of the high gloss coating if there is any ambient light around.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO

I must say that I reeaaly don't like those glossy screens. A friend has a laptop with such a screen, and yes the blacks can be really black. But every time he want's to show something, I have to bob around my head to find a spot where there are no reflections. And usually, I need to move the head when I want to see another part of the screen. The only environment where it would work is a pitch black one. (And then there would be no use with any anti-reflective coating.)

I'd take Anti-Glare treatment over that any day.

IMOThe only environment where it would work is a pitch black one. (And then there would be no use with any anti-reflective coating.)

I'd take Anti-Glare treatment over that any day.

True but the matte finish of AG treatmeats causes slight blurring that the gloss screens don't in a dark environment. They both have their advantages/disadvantages.

Samsung M86/87 now have reflective "Super Clear Panel" tech.

The review http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M86BD/
Contrast Ratio
The contrast ratio also received a welcome boost as a result of the Super Clear Panelâ„¢: not only does the Samsung LE40M86BD maintain LCD's characteristic brightness, black level has now extended low enough to rival the best of plasma TVs. In fact, the Samsung LE40M86BD cleared 1200:1 effortlessly, making it the HDTV with the highest calibrated dynamic contrast ratio among all that we've tested.

A good discussion thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511377

i was wondering what the difference was between ag neovo's patent pending neoV optical glass, compared to things like nec's opticlear, and sony's xbrite?

that may be a stupid question, but i'm asking people who know more than i do.

anyways, my nec opticlear (20wgmx2) was disappointing b/c it has poor blacks, when it was supposed to have great blacks.

do pva panels without an opticlear equivalent have better blacks?

i think my opticlear is an as-ips.

i was wondering what the difference was between ag neovo's patent pending neoV optical glass, compared to things like nec's opticlear, and sony's xbrite?
Interresting technology this neoV: http://www.neovo-usa.com/Innovation/features.htm
Anti-reflective, high transmitance with a hard surface.

anyways, my nec opticlear (20wgmx2) was disappointing b/c it has poor blacks, when it was supposed to have great blacks.

do pva panels without an opticlear equivalent have better blacks?

i think my opticlear is an as-ips.
Hard to answer that. Maybe the new pva panels have better shadows, which is not exactlly deeper blacks.

Back