Do you think we will get Killzone CG level graphics next gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they're awesome, but they have a lot of 2D image processing tricks going on there too :)

Assets already look somewhat better in Gears, it's the rendering technology that has some feature and performance problems: AA, texture filtering, volumetric smoke and fire effects, raytraced global illumination, and overall scene complexity. Don't expect such viewing distances with the amount of detail, nor that many (dozens) detailed characters running around at the same time...

And lets not forget all the crazy detail like each character having animated hair and vehicles the blow up into many little parts. And then there is the insane contextual animations... even the best hacks will fall far short of the CGI.

But of course expect IGN to making statements like, "Looked like the CGI" and such in a newspost near you soon!

How would you like to die?

I don't know.. But i do know that i don't have to choose;) .

I'm 100% confident that the PS3 WILL achieved killzone CG quality visual. No..., the PS3 WILL achieve Killzone CG quality visual:D . Just wait and see

I don't know.. But i do know that i don't have to choose;) .

I'm 100% confident that the PS3 WILL achieved killzone CG quality visual. No..., the PS3 WILL achieve Killzone CG quality visual:D . Just wait and see

Nevermind. :)

Animation is part of the graphics.

I don't disagree. It is just helpful to break things down a little.

I believe Killzone 2 will have ingame models and textures that are approximate to the CG movie.

But the animation and AI will not be at the level of the movie.

Now in online multiplayer a scene similar to what we saw in the CG is possible because real players will be making those moves and the AI won't be important.

I remember at the time of E32005 and the infamous Killzone2 CG a lot of people said the Gears of War trailer looked just as good.

Now that Gears of War has been released and appears to be pretty close to the E32005 trailer, I find it surprising that people think the Killzone CG is still out of reach.

Even in the original discussion here on B3D about the KZ CG a lot of people believed that it would be possible to achieve similar results this gen, even on the 360.

As an Xbox360 and PS3 owner games like Motorstorm and Gears of War look fantastic. I sure they are only the tip of the iceberg of what is possible this gen.

I believe Killzone 2 will have ingame models and textures that are approximate to the CG movie.

But the animation and AI will not be at the level of the movie.

But your breakdown misses the most vital part of CGI: Rendering. A game model w/ textures in a game engine (e.g. UE3) compared against a Raytraced GI renderer is going look inferior.

Now in online multiplayer a scene similar to what we saw in the CG is possible because real players will be making those moves and the AI won't be important.

There is still the issue of animation. e.g. Where is the button to "Wave arm and say 'lets go!'"? And all the nuanced reactions/adjustments to the environment that mocap completely lack.

I remember at the time of E32005 and the infamous Killzone2 CG a lot of people said the Gears of War trailer looked just as good.

Only people who didn't know what they were talking about. I guess if they ment "good" as in terms of "wow, cool game" that is subjective. If they ment, "Technically on par" then absolutely not.

Now that Gears of War has been released and appears to be pretty close to the E32005 trailer, I find it surprising that people think the Killzone CG is still out of reach.

Maybe because GOW was running on a GPU configuration within a general ballpark of the Xbox 360 and Killzone was rendered offline with computational power and techniques well outside the bounds of the PS3?

Even in the original discussion here on B3D about the KZ CG a lot of people believed that it would be possible to achieve similar results this gen, even on the 360.

"A lot of people" doesn't mean much when they are casual fans. There were people here who absolutely called people "in the know" liars for saying it was CGI. Doesn't mean they were right.

As an Xbox360 and PS3 owner games like Motorstorm and Gears of War look fantastic. I sure they are only the tip of the iceberg of what is possible this gen.

Well, we can agree on this :)

Aka on xbox720/PS4?

Or perhaps better if you think so?

And why/why not?

That's all.

the trailer uses raytracing.

so the question is not simply about assets, animation etc
for the actual gen the answer is NO, the ps3 will never run a raytracing game at 30 fps with those assets

and you have to add IA, physics, game code etc

in general thinking forget about raytracing quality in games on actual gen consoles/pc, this is only dreaming

for future, I bet on new consoles capable to accelerate raytracing, the x720 for example I think will have a central PU (no more cpu+gpu) suited to generate this kind of graphic
will see in 2010

the trailer uses raytracing.

so the question is not simply about assets, animation etc
for the actual gen the answer is NO, the ps3 will never run a raytracing game at 30 fps with those assets

and you have to add IA, physics, game code etc

in general thinking forget about raytracing quality in games on actual gen consoles/pc, this is only dreaming

for future, I bet on new consoles capable to accelerate raytracing, the x720 for example I think will have a central PU (no more cpu+gpu) suited to generate this kind of graphic
will see in 2010

You don't need raytracing ,GI or any offline stuff to make a game look as good as the KZ CG trailer.You need talent and supersampling.The answer to the thread title range from 'Hell yes' to 'Hell not' depanding on , generaly ,where you are on a scale between average joe mass customer and the CG industry guy.

The thing is I see PARTS of games today that look individually close, but nothing on the whole yet.

I think, it's been said a lot, but the animation will be hardest to achieve. It seems even as graphics scale higher we still see stiff animation comparitivly (as in Gears and Crysis, spectacular graphics but animation not near that trailer).

I am wondering if that level of animation is almost an unpassable barrier for real time games..

I am wondering if that level of animation is almost an unpassable barrier for real time games..

I think at least in theory the Cell should be able to do some serious work in that area, but I am certainly not an expert on animation, so I could definitely be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back