God of War 2 - March 13th

The PS3 has no software renderer, it has the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer built in. Hopefully the PS4 will be designed to render PS2 games with AA and at high resolution, I'd love to play this game looking as good as the bullshots someday.

Aren't there HD filtered shots of PS2 games already floating around from PS3 emulation in early firmware?

The only such screenie I've heard of (and seen) was a FFXII upscaled image. Clearly upscaled, but nicely done.

The PS3 has no software renderer, it has the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer built in. Hopefully the PS4 will be designed to render PS2 games with AA and at high resolution, I'd love to play this game looking as good as the bullshots someday.

:oops: I meant software emulation, I knew GS was still there, but I realise now that because of the GS, we probably should't expect any improvements right?

it's still great looking PS2 game for sure, but AA would really help it.

Hopefully the emulation on Cell is good enough to get rid of tearing wherever framerate might have been held back by the EE, though I'm guessing the framerate issues in GoW2 are more a result of how hard they pushed the graphics. But yeah, as long as they are using the PS2's graphics they can't rightly do anything more to improve the rendering.

I'd hate to resurrect threads, but why havent I heard any GoWII sales news other than the 1m+ pre orders?

I guess its not selling like hotcakes? :eek:

I'd hate to resurrect threads, but why havent I heard any GoWII sales news other than the 1m+ pre orders?

I guess its not selling like hotcakes? :eek:

Since the $129 verion of Halo 3 is seling "like hotcakes" according the other thread and God of War 2 is above it on the list, it's proof!

I just finished the game on normal difficulty. My playtime was 21h, but the clock runs while in menu and I often left it in menu while I was doing something else, so I'd say the real playtime was about 16-17 hours, which is quite a bit longer than the first game.

All in all this really was an enjoyable game and it has some fresh new gameplay elements which were nice additions to the first game. The best things in part two over the first one were the boss fights, which were more numerous this time, and of course the longer playtime was nice too. The second part didn't basically have any annoying parts like the Hades in the first game, and overally this was more balanced and probably playtested a bit more than the first game. Very good game deserving easily over 90p. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes action games and is not afraid of blood and gore which there are plenty of!

The game however is not perfect. I got the feeling that in order to add playtime the dev team had to sacrifice something. While the plot was imo really good it wasn't carried out in the same magnificent way that the plot in the first game was. The plot kind of took a back seat. I think that in the first game there were MUCH more awesome well directed CG movies, which really added to the overall atmosphere of the game. It's hard to say which one actually is the better game, since both have their strong points, so I call it a draw... In my book we are talking about the two best games on playstation 2, so yeah I liked them!

I quess I have to play it through second time on the highest difficulty... There were couple of quite difficult places already on normal difficulty, which might be a pain in the ass on Titan mode.

Oh yeah the ending is very Halo 2 ish, meaning that the third one can't come soon enough... and just like in the case of Halo we probably have to wait years for it :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, don't expect resolution improvements.

You should expect more. Be hopeful don't be a ....Mod of... War. Get it? It is a joke.:LOL:
--------

This game is probably next on my list. I'm halfway through the first GoW and have enjoyed it very much. It totally apes DMC but its production values are top notch.

I got the feeling that in order to add playtime the dev team had to sacrifice something

the bonus disc contains alot of information related to the content that was removed from God of War II during its development. i, too, finished the game recently. great game overall and, yes, the ending is just a rather good setup for God of War III on the PS3. the "End Begins" tagline now makes sense.

Didn't see this posted here.

PS3 GOW:3 Blurp

9:40: Did Barlog just confirm that God of War 3 will be in 1080p with Sixaxis and VIBRATION functions on PS3? He sure did! Whoa! Well, technically he didn't confirm GOW3, but he confirmed Sixaxis and vibration for the future of God of War. Here's hoping he wasn't joking, but it didn't sound that way.

:devilish:

Is 1080p that good news? Actually I'd like the game to go Heavenly Sword route, with graphics ouput at 720p and 30fps (and v-sync enabled), but animations and other stuff calculated at 60Hz. It would be much smoother than GoW1's unstable 60fps with v-sync disabled and it would give us incredible visuals.:D

I'll give you lack of vsync, but I didn't find anything to suggest that GoW's framerate was unstable at all. It was pretty silky smooth from what I can recall.

Either way, if it is 1080P, I still think they'll be able to pull out the same kind of fluidity that the predecessors had and maintaining a pleasing visual flair. 720P would be good too though.

Back