PS3 Euro launch TBA

If I didn't know the price elsewhere in the world, I could see the £425 pricepoint as acceptible for what the box does, if you have the HD set needed to benefit. What makes PS3 look expensive is the international price and competition. A lot of buyers might be blissfully ignorant of the US price, so it'll then just come down to comparisons with XB360. With the BRD, it's not a bad deal. XB360 is £280 (£200 for Core excluding extras like memory card) + £130 for HD DVD drive, which is £410 for an HD movie playing console. And you've no gaurentee you'll ever find an HD DVD drive for your XB360 if you go that route!

... With the BRD, it's not a bad deal. XB360 is £280 (£200 for Core excluding extras like memory card) + £130 for HD DVD drive, which is £410 for an HD movie playing console. And you've no gaurentee you'll ever find an HD DVD drive for your XB360 if you go that route!

of course that still does not bode well for those that want to compare it to a 360 and care not for a hidef DVD format.

I think it is a mistake to not offer the 20 gig to at LEAST get closer to the no-HD DVD X360 in UK.

With the BRD, it's not a bad deal. XB360 is £280 (£200 for Core excluding extras like memory card) + £130 for HD DVD drive, which is £410 for an HD movie playing console. And you've no gaurentee you'll ever find an HD DVD drive for your XB360 if you go that route!

A valid price comparison, but that's assuming you want either console mainly for playing high definition movies, if you mainly want to play games, the comparison is less significant.

It could indeed be argued (and it has been), that by not forcing the hd-dvd format on consumers, and offering it as an add-on, Microsoft gives you the choice. Sony on the other hand, gives you no choice, and are seemingly passing the high cost of BluRay directly on to consumers.

...so does 07/07/07 :cool:

See, you people are still underestimating the power of Playstation. The release date will be 6/6/06 (sounds best)... And will be possible because the flux capacitor in PS3 will make it go back in time. So one of these days we will wake up with a PS3 in our homes, and we will "remember" that the PS3 actually launched on 6/6/06.

It's the perfect plan. Good on you, Sony!

Correct.

£425 sterling is absolutely insane. That's $835 US :oops: :oops:
I'm sure people will still buy it, but only the hardcore early adopters. The regular people out there, with modest incomes, will steer clear.

It's even more than that. Take in account that most people are still playing PS2 games - there are so many very good ones, and quite a few still to come. I am as hardcore a gamer as can be, having played over 120 PS2 games, but I still have a list of about 30 games that I want to ad least try - and I will probably end up playing half of them (mostly RPGs, so many many hours).
For the moment, even though I can easly afford the PS3 (and the 1080p Bravia that is mandatory to it) I rather not get it this year, since I need some closure time with the PS2.

Back