PS3 Euro launch TBA

Tap In

Legend
might as well get the party started... :D

PS3 launch plan just weeks away

16:00, Jan 12th by Ben Parfitt

Sony is preparing to announce the full and final European PS3 launch details at the end of this month, MCV has learned.

Whilst industry speculation that PS3’s European arrival could be pushed back as far as September continues, Sony insists that a March launch is still on the cards, with concrete details to be revealed to the public shortly.

MCV has also been led to believe that there is still no intention to launch the 20Gb model in this territory and that the launch price remains at or around £425.

Sony revealed last September that its plans to launch PS3 globally in November were to be scrapped, blaming the production issues surrounding the console’s Blu-Ray diodes on the European delay..... more

PS3 launch plan just weeks away
I misread that as "PS3 launch just weeks away".
Looks like Euros may have to wait some more..

Uf Sony's seriously considering a march launch (and not just lying through its teeth again :cool:) they're certainly pushing it rather close with the preparations and disclosure of any firm details.

As far as I know there hasn't been any advertising being done yet for example.

Peace.

Not to launch in March would simply be suicide. They literally won't be able to afford launching in September. The PS3 can only sell so many at 499/599 in the U.S., so they need to move on to Europe quick, where they will be able to sell a fair amount for that price too. Also, they wait till September the 360 is going to go down to 299/399, and it will be too late then also. Finally, they will lose more Europeans to the 360 if they wait much longer, not to mention the Wii. And lastly, the publishers will kill them - you can see how many releases target March now, and they need to get their games on the European market.

I'm guessing that whenever they make the exact date known, I the PS3 will launch six weeks later.

The PS3 can only sell so many at 499/599 in the U.S., so they need to move on to Europe quick, where they will be able to sell a fair amount for that price too.

is that how much £425 = in US dollars?

edit: I know.... google is my friend.... let me look.

whoa!

that can't be right $928 US dollars? and if the web site made a mistake and meant Euros then $675 dollars?

whoa!

that can't be right $928 US dollars? and if the web site made a mistake and meant Euros then $675 dollars?
It's more like 830 USD. But the brits do get shafted extra hard. For the rest of Europe it's roughly 775$ USD for the 60GB version.

xe.com/ucc/ deserves Google's top spot for "currency converter", but Google can also do it alone.

In Australia we are paying the equiv of $780 US. But it doesn't really mean much considering I don't get paid in US dollars.

Reactions: Sis
Bleh. I'm guessing it'll be a late-March launch - say, March 31st. Technically, it'll be a March launch, but what does that mean? Not much when you can't play for the whole month.

Not dissimilar to the "1million units in 2006", when there was a huge New Years Eve shipment. Talk about book-cooking :p

Can we have a bit more faith in them, if is true that they are delaying the console i dont think is their intention to do so, on the other hand they said that they will reach 6 millions by the end of March 07 and the only way to do it is through Europe.

As long as they're on the boat come the press conference all will be well in Sony land... now comes the "selling" part ...;)

whoa!

I know that it seems farfetched for americans but we EUs are used to it and doesnt seem THAT huge for most. Not that is not pricy. The price doesnt sound the same way as it sounds for you since your currency is different. Real wage is considerably enough for us to consumer games despite that in general prices are more expensive for videogames

The PS2 launched for 500€(645.220 US Dollar) in Finland back in the day, bought it on launch day. This is why I don't consider PS3 all that pricy even if its around 650€(838.786 US Dollar). In anycase, I'll be buying mine this fall when the heavy hitters should start hitting the console!

Can we have a bit more faith in them, if is true that they are delaying the console i dont think is their intention to do so, on the other hand they said that they will reach 6 millions by the end of March 07.
They've said a lot of things which haven't come to pass, which is why people haven't got faith in them. Sony have a reputation for giving out information that doesn't follow through, such as launch dates, services and peripherals. They've no-one to blame for not being trusted but themselves.

The Euro/Sterling to US $ conversions seem much worse right now because the dollar has greatly depreciated vs most world currencies in the past couple of months.

Sony better have hedged against exchange rate risk because they will be taking much more of a reaming than they already are.

Anyway, I don't hold my hopes up for the Euro launch - when I see it I'll believe it. However Sony's promise to the BDA means they simply have to launch the PS3 in good numbers across Europe (>500K at least) relatively soon in order to over-run any chance of HD-DVD getting a beachhead in the territory.

Anyway, I don't hold my hopes up for the Euro launch - when I see it I'll believe it. However Sony's promise to the BDA means they simply have to launch the PS3 in good numbers across Europe (>500K at least) relatively soon in order to over-run any chance of HD-DVD getting a beachhead in the territory.

I don't think they have to worry about HDDVD that much if at all. Right now the general interest in Europe for HD players is about zero. People know about the HDTV, duh, but I don't think I know a single person that even knows about the HD format wars and what not...

I haven't seen a single HD player, neither HD-DVD nor Blu-ray, in any of the electronics stores I've visited recently. Neither have I seen any HD movies being sold anywhere, except online.
Clearly, the retailers are waiting for the PS3 to start the "HD-era".

I don't think they have to worry about HDDVD that much if at all. Right now the general interest in Europe for HD players is about zero. People know about the HDTV, duh, but I don't think I know a single person that even knows about the HD format wars and what not...

Among several of my friends the knowledge about HD formats are generally good.
I'm not saying that the knowledge is any good in general, but I can see it improving fast (to a level of crappy ;)). Players _are_ comming out in the stores now and a few days ago Aktuellt (swedish news progam) had a 2 minute clip about Blu-ray.

Back