Killzone PS3.. in 07?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But didn't that apply to the first 2 games as well? Both of which scored very high graphically with reviewers and gamers alike?

Obviously Halo's art style or colour palette is not holding it back from success!! If these are the 'problems' Nao is referring too, I'd have to disagree that it will affect the success of the final game.

He isnt saying it will hold it back. He is trying to forsee how it will be recieved when compared to other AAA games especially now that GoW and other AAA games with superb art direwction appear in this gen.

Halo1 and 2 were easier forgiven. But now in this generation, not advancing accordingly the art direction but stay static, altough it will still sell like hotcakes, it wont be forgiven or ignore how it stands next to other games.

On Halo's art direction:
It's retarded. Primary colored battle penguins and dayglo laser guns.

And I will take it any day of the week over the "gritty" and "dark" generic looks of almost every other gun-based action game. Halo look pretty rediculous, but the graphics manage to suspend disbelief -somehow- and still look lively and not so depressing.... Playing Resistance and Gears lately has been really driving this home for me. They both take place in this suberbly realized shithole of a war-ravaged world and it's not as entertainging as the lush, gaudy, shiny stuff in Hala. This is especially true in multiplayer. This is a big part of the reason I like Lost Planet more than Gears.

On Killzone 2:
There's not much to say about the game except that those 2005 "target renders" will never -ever- go away. Not that it will matter much in the big picture, but rest assured I'll be spending plenty of time lurking gaf when the real game finally surfaces. It will be an absolute bloodbath.

And on the off chance that KZ2 does turn out looking even close to the CG, I will eat.....

.... A whole chocolate cake. To celebrate. :p

He isnt saying it will hold it back. He is trying to forsee how it will be recieved when compared to other AAA games especially now that GoW and other AAA games with superb art direwction appear in this gen.

Halo1 and 2 were easier forgiven. But now in this generation, not advancing accordingly the art direction but stay static, altough it will still sell like hotcakes, it wont be forgiven or ignore how it stands next to other games.

I buy that. The origional Halo was very much designed to the strengths and limitations of the XBox. In order to stand up to the games of today they need to "fill out" the visuals by quite a bit, while still maintaining the look.

I buy that. The origional Halo was very much designed to the strengths and limitations of the XBox. In order to stand up to the games of today they need to "fill out" the visuals by quite a bit, while still maintaining the look.

Well yeah and I hope they "fill out" the visuals more since what I ve seen so far isnt the advancement I was expecting from this game. Its too similar than I expected to 1 and 2. Especially after they showed the target render commercial there is still a lot to be done.

That's a very contradictory statement, it won't hold it back and will still sell like hotcakes YET it the bad art style will not be forgiven or ignored??

Seems to me if the art style is not 'forgiven' and is a big issue, then it would in fact hold back the game.

Personally I think it's a little ridiculous, look at the Halo announcement trailer, what exactly is bad about that art direction? Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but saying it won't be able to stand up to other next gen games? I don't buy it.

KZ has no real hype outside the internet. It was a B level game that most people have never heard of, let alone played. I'm sure it will have fairly strong hype due to Sony pushing it hard, and the infamous trailer, but not even in the same stratosphere as a Halo, MGS, or GT.

Yup, only over 2 Million sold. Few games hit that.

I actually didn't realize KZ had sold that many copies, doesn't really matter though as the point still stands. There's no way the hype for KZ is anywhere near the other major franchises.

I dont think the hype is, due to the sole reason we havent seen the game for almost 2 years. But I think the anticipation certainly is. Everyone, game sites/magazines/developers, xbox/nintendo/sony fans are ALL interested and wondering in what killzone will look like regardless if it doesnt look like the trailer from way back. I mean every time an exec even mentions killzone's name every gamesite and forum is usually reporting on it; even if it doesnt really tell you anything. This thread would be an example of that.

That said I dont think KZ could ever match the hype for Halo 3 unless some miracle happens. Halo has a following as one of the biggest games last generation. But that doesnt mean it will be a failure in sales (killzone that is).

Last edited by a moderator:
Halo 3 will be awesome, but that's not really what this thread is about.

Killzone was meh IMO. Killzone 2 might have some legs, but it will never live up the hype created by the ridiculous CG trailer and this will hurt it a little. It could still end up being a good game, but I doubt Sony will put it up against Halo 3 though.

This thread has gone for three pages without any useful or effective information about the game itself, what does it tell you about the popularity of this game? The end result might go either way, no one know that but one thing we do know is that this game has all the hype of all the major games of this generation.

This thread has gone for three pages without any useful or effective information about the game itself, what does it tell you about the popularity of this game?

It says nothing about the popularity of the game, it has everything to do with the controversy surrounding the CG movie.

I actually didn't realize KZ had sold that many copies, doesn't really matter though as the point still stands. There's no way the hype for KZ is anywhere near the other major franchises.

No joke. I had no idea. I bought the hype and got the game on release date. I brought it back four days later and told everyone I knew to avoid it as ithad apparently gone gold as an unfinished game. Suprised it was that popular.

I think it was a potentially excellent game that unfortunatly needed more time. It was simply far to rough around the edges.

That's a very contradictory statement, it won't hold it back and will still sell like hotcakes YET it the bad art style will not be forgiven or ignored??

Seems to me if the art style is not 'forgiven' and is a big issue, then it would in fact hold back the game.

Personally I think it's a little ridiculous, look at the Halo announcement trailer, what exactly is bad about that art direction? Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but saying it won't be able to stand up to other next gen games? I don't buy it.

Remember DMC2?

Nobody really knows what Killzone will look like, other than that it will not reach the target renders in all aspects. Sadly, for this reason, no matter how spectacular the game ends up being, Sony will still be slammed for "lying" and deceiving the public with fake trailers. This is the sad truth about console gaming on the internet.

I think it's possible a "Motorstorm effect" will take place. Of course motorstorm never reached the orginal trailer, and took some flack for it. But at the end of the day, motorstorm is a amazing looking game and did on the other hand recieve plenty praise (and still is) for looking so great. Now on killzone, of course it wont hit the trailer, but if it does look amazing (and by that i mean one of the best looking titles around the time it launches), then I think people will forget about the trailer and enjoy the graphics they are getting.

Nobody really knows what Killzone will look like, other than that it will not reach the target renders in all aspects. Sadly, for this reason, no matter how spectacular the game ends up being, Sony will still be slammed for "lying" and deceiving the public with fake trailers. This is the sad truth about console gaming on the internet.

Without seeing the covers of the game you have basically judged it, that is just silly, as always I always reserved my judgment when i play it.

I think it's possible a "Motorstorm effect" will take place. Of course motorstorm never reached the orginal trailer, and took some flack for it. But at the end of the day, motorstorm is a amazing looking game and did on the other hand recieve plenty praise (and still is) for looking so great. Now on killzone, of course it wont hit the trailer, but if it does look amazing (and by that i mean one of the best looking titles around the time it launches), then I think people will forget about the trailer and enjoy the graphics they are getting.

That is a great point. I found myself totally rooting for Motorstrorm to shape up over the last year. Seeing it turn out so good is vindicating! Never really worry about the old trailer unless I'm making a joke about it.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7846169&publicUserId=5519593

Luke Smith from 1UP said:
How Sony Will Counter the Halo 3 Beta

Remember this game? We haven't heard much about Guerilla's Killzone 2 since it appeared in video CG form back at E3 ages ago. The studio and Sony Computer Entertainment went dark on the title after the E3 presentation.

Rumors pointed at the game's intended resurgence at their pre-launch Gamers' Day event last year. Ultimately, if the rumors are to be believed, Sony shelved showing Killzone 2 in favor of spotlighting Insomniac's new shooter franchise (and it will be a franchise) Resistance. The same rumors have pointed to Killzone 2 being much further along than previously expected -- with the apex of the rumor arc concluding that the game has been playable online for almost a year.

Microsoft and Bungie's beta program for Halo 3 is all the rage this Spring. It's garnered countless news stories with its multiple points of entry and even landed a cover in EGM back in November (I expect the beta to be similar but with more weapons and polish to the maps covered in that series of stories).

Aside from the obvious connection between Killzone and Halo being first-party developed shooters and the first Killzone being branded with the unfortunate moniker of "Halo-killer," the ties between these games are going to bind even closer this Spring.

Expect a playable Killzone 2 demo to be released (hmm, Phil Harrison is keynoting at GDC...) before gamers are participating in the beta for Halo 3.

It´s on.. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back