Ando, king of instant ramen, dies ;_;

As an instant ramen lover (though only once in a while), this was a very sad day indeed. :cry: But to make it to 94 he probably didn't eat instant Ramen regularily.

A few years back, I decided to save money by eating nothing but Ramen for a summer. After some weeks I waent out to eat more and more often so I ended up spending more then I would've if I'd had a more diverse food supply at home. I modified my grocery list but still ate plenty of ramen.

And I still like ramen soup. I prefer to microwave it with a limited amount of water-- so all the water is soaked up by the noodles. I also mix in an egg or two; that makes it a more filling meal and adds to the flavor.

Anyone else have any tricks to spice up their ramen?

A few years back, I decided to save money by eating nothing but Ramen for a summer. After some weeks I waent out to eat more and more often so I ended up spending more then I would've if I'd had a more diverse food supply at home. I modified my grocery list but still ate plenty of ramen.

And I still like ramen soup. I prefer to microwave it with a limited amount of water-- so all the water is soaked up by the noodles. I also mix in an egg or two; that makes it a more filling meal and adds to the flavor.

Anyone else have any tricks to spice up their ramen?

Hells yeah! My favorite is to take a pork chop, glaze it on both sides, cube that, and add it to a bowl of ramen without much broth. If you make it with only just barely enough water to cover the noodles, you can add half of the seasoning and have particularly yummy ramen (lazy solution to this is use any amount of water, then drain before seasoning). I like to add green onion and furikake when I have some on hand (often, since I've been in China). My #1 bit of advice: shop at your local asian foods market. Most places in the US at least have them hidden (or not so hidden) away in asian immigrant areas. They're cheap, and are likely to carry a ton of asian specialty ramen, which are much, much better than the types more often sold in the US. Nissin makes a bunch that come with sesame seeds and/or sesame oil, which is just great with ramen & pork. :9

A few other tips to pimp instant ramen:

* adding miso-soup (there's also an instant version :p )
* spice it up. (chilis, etc.)

A few other tips to pimp instant ramen:

* adding miso-soup (there's also an instant version :p )
* spice it up. (chilis, etc.)

Absolutely! A great tip for all you geek-chefs who want some more japanese yumminess with minimal effort, check out the asian markets or ethnic foods section of your supermarket for boxed miso. it comes as a thick paste, and basically all you need to do is add the following to a couple of tablespoons of paste:

-boiling water
-a few drops of sesame oil
-cooked noodles
-spring onions or anything else you desire

they're all a little different so the exact recipes will vary, but miso is a great flavoring that goes with ramen, udon, soba, or pretty much anything. i use it in a fair amount of western dishes, too, in place of some salt and/or tomato paste.

But to make it to 94 he probably didn't eat instant Ramen regularily.

A news report says he ate instant noodles every day. Not as dinner, I presume.
Most people think (rightly) that eating too much instant noodles is not a healthy practice, though.

First my respect to Mr. Momofuku Ando.

Absolutely! A great tip for all you geek-chefs who want some more japanese yumminess with minimal effort, check out the asian markets or ethnic foods section of your supermarket for boxed miso. it comes as a thick paste, and basically all you need to do is add the following to a couple of tablespoons of paste:

-boiling water
-a few drops of sesame oil
-cooked noodles
-spring onions or anything else you desire

they're all a little different so the exact recipes will vary, but miso is a great flavoring that goes with ramen, udon, soba, or pretty much anything. i use it in a fair amount of western dishes, too, in place of some salt and/or tomato paste.
I usually use some french onions (of chinese origin).

Back