Treasure developing 360 game(s?)

Gollum

Veteran
Didn't see it mentioned yet and thought I'd bring it up, since Treasure is somewhat of a jap. cult-developer, with a known history of creating original games for "dead" platforms (looking at the 360 sales in Japan, no wonder they chose it ;)). There's an interview at 1UP with them about their current projects and future plans. Apparently they're currently working on a new shooter for 360 (3D graphics, 2D gameplay). Some quotes:

1UP: Treasure has made interesting choices in terms of which consoles it has supported in the past. For instance, Treasure put emphasis on the N64 when a lot of the development community shifted to the PS1 because of ease of development or to reduce costs. Why have you decided to develop for the Xbox 360?
MM: Treasure supported N64 because the team wanted to work on the system. I always listen to the team and they basically chose the N64 because they thought it would be easiest for them to create games on. That was the same reason we decided to work on the Xbox 360. When we create games, we don't necessarily think about which platforms are going to have the highest installed base, we think about which platforms are going to be easiest to make games on - or more specifically, our games on.
1UP: So will you eventually do a PS3 title, you think?
MM: It's not like we don't want to, but right now we only have two or three teams to work on projects and I'm not sure when they'd be able to get to it. Then there's the learning curve with the system - the team working on Xbox 360 will likely stick with Xbox 360 for future titles since they've already become familiar with it. Maybe in the future we'll be able to, though.
1UP: How about Nintendo? Treasure has traditionally been very supportive of Nintendo platforms, so we're wondering if you have plans for the Wii.
MM: We love the Wii and want to work on it in the future, but right now we've got our hands full with the 360 and DS. It's just a matter of freeing up people in order to create a team to work on it. But absolutely, in the future, we'll make a Wii game. We've already been in discussions with Nintendo about it. We're just brainstorming right now, but I am already certain we'll be able to do something really unique with it.

It's good to see more japanese development support for the 360.

Treasure is a venerable developer as well and nice to know they're going against the stream so to speak. That generally leads to more inventive gameplay.

Peace.

I think they're only developing 3 or 4 games, actually.
I was referring to the part in the interview, where they said that the team currently working on the 360 (retail) title would likely keep developing for 360 even after that game was done, because they already know the system very well. As for the other teams, he doesn't go into the specifics what they're working on. From his comments, at least one XBLA title in addition to the retail game seems likely though...

Back