Phil Harrison talks about Rare

http://ncroal.talk.newsweek.com/default.asp?item=414002

For seasoned industry observers, the only surprise about yesterday's news that Rare founders Chris and Tim Stamper had left the company was that it had taken this long. Yes, Microsoft's 2002 purchase of the company surely represents one of the company's least successful acquisitions.

During the course of our Playstation 3 reporting last October, we asked Playstation worldwide studios boss Phil Harrison for his thoughts on Rare. Here's our previously unpublished exchange:

This question is a bit separate from your bailiwick, but I've got to take advantage of your insights while I have you here. Being based in the U.K., you're obviously plugged into the local development scene. Why do you think that Rare hasn't been able to regain its former glory?

[Long pause.] Rare is traditionally a very closely held company, a very secretive company. The founders, the Stamper Brothers, almost never gave interviews. They were very private individuals. In fact, before Rare, they had a company called Ultimate, which made games for the 8-bit home computers that were popular in the the 1980s, like the Spectrum and the Commodore 64. I remember that their approach to journalists and reviewers was that if you want to review our game, well, you can go and buy it in the store. They had their own game publisher, that was very successful.

Then they started working for Nintendo, who were themselves a very secretive organization. And so I think that they became quite insular and quite inward-facing, and they missed some of the trends that were going on in the business generally. Now also, if you sell your company to Microsoft and get hundreds of millions of whatevers, currency in the bank, it does tend to defocus management a little bit. But Rare, and prior to Rare, Ultimate, are responsible for some of the best games ever made. And from an industry point of view, I hope they continue to make good games, because they're an inspiration to many of us in the business. I'm sure they'll get their groove back.

Whenever people speek of Rare, it means pretty much nothing to me as I never owned a platform with their games. But saying that the Stamfords were Ultimate...:oops: They made some key titles in the 8 bit days, and now I can respect them. Only they've left Rare, so once again that company means nothing to me ;)

I guess being secretive, there's absolutely no idea what their new direction is.

I just wish Sony wasnt so secretive. I mean yeah they give interviews by the busload, but damn they rarely release media. Media that could be looked at by their fanbase and then offer suggestions and comments on. Then again, most companies are like that I suppose. Those damn NDA's. :LOL: ;)

Whenever people speek of Rare, it means pretty much nothing to me as I never owned a platform with their games. But saying that the Stamfords were Ultimate...:oops: They made some key titles in the 8 bit days, and now I can respect them. Only they've left Rare, so once again that company means nothing to me ;)

I guess being secretive, there's absolutely no idea what their new direction is.

You've never played Goldeneye? Whoa.

Nothing specifically said about Rare impressed me, but what surprised me is Phill Harrison's knowledge on companies' backround and history. He knows stuff and he knows them in detail.

Phil better get on the ball. Get the Stampers to make games for the PS3. There are lots of secretive dev houses in SCEWWS. I think Sony would grant them some autonomy is they could guarantee they've still got the touch. The last good game of their's I played was Goldeneye, but that's also the last Rare game I've played at all. PEACE.

Phil better get on the ball. Get the Stampers to make games for the PS3. There are lots of secretive dev houses in SCEWWS. I think Sony would grant them some autonomy is they could guarantee they've still got the touch. The last good game of their's I played was Goldeneye, but that's also the last Rare game I've played at all. PEACE.

Shoot look at Heveanly Sword. Hell we have 2 devs on this board and we know 0 (freaking 0%) about what's going on about the game.

Those brothers could be as quiet and secretive as possible and Sony wouldn't care.

The way I understand it, and I got a "nod" from someone who is familiar with Rare and Free Radical, that the Stampers had wanted to cash out a couple years back. Nintendo, as being part owner of Rare and not wanting to pony up millions for something they already had (exclusivity) and concern over their market orientation changing, were not interested. Stampers pressured, and eventually Rare was sold to Microsoft. Of course MS funneled a lot of money into Rare and grew its dev team sizes and that took a bit of coordination. Now that all of that is out of the way the Stampers are doing what they originally set out to do--cash out and do other things. Based on the little I have heard from others a lot of people think this could be a new page for Rare and allow them to be refocused. They have a lot of talent, but obviously have a problem with realistic deadlines as well as some quality issues since their sale.

I thoroughly enjoy Rare's games, and am holding my breath that the Viva Pinata Kart Racing rumor is true, so hopefully this brings good things for Rare in 2007 and beyond.

They have a lot of talent, but obviously have a problem with realistic deadlines as well as some quality issues since their sale.
I feel quality has been lacking for quite a while.

The last really good game I played from them (personal opinion) was Banjo-Kazooie. The title name was dreadful and the character designs almost as completely horrible but it was fun. The humor was sharp, the levels good, music was awesome. Difficulty was a bit frustrating here and there but I actually finished the gamr. Fairly unique for me, at the time I had barely finished a single console game from start to end since super mario bros. :LOL:

Yes, slight overexaggeration.

However since then I felt Rare just kept sliding downwards. Donkey Kong 64 was simply awful, no other way to describe it. Starfox for the cube.. HMM. Maybe it would have been better as a Dino title the way it was originally intended who knows. Perfect Dark wasn't perfect and the 360 version was terrible. Don't know about Conker. When it came out I was somehow convinced the N64 was dead so I missed it completely but I hear people think it was good so that might be true.

No surprise to me to see the Stampers bail. Their ship has been sinking since the late 90s in my opinion. What will they do now does anyone know? Seems they're leaving the gaming industry entirely.

Of course neither of them need to work another day for the rest of their lives.

For rare to have a real future the studio needs to shape up. Get stuff out on time and be good and original. They're bad at maintaining past successes. RC Pro-Am was one of the best NES racers of all time. Killer Instinct was a cool beat em up. They could do gfx that looks like the 1995 arcade version in realtime today on the 360 for sure. Why aren't they?

Peace.

Conkers was one of the best N64 titles. That includes the SP and MP, each stand on their own and together you have an excellent title. One of my favorite games of all time... and I didn't quite enjoy the humor. The gameplay was a ton of fun, perfect party game. Teddyz!

I believe the Stampers are going into retirement.

They have been in the videogame business for a very long time.

Off the top of my head I would say they started around 1981-82.

They produced many excellent games in the UK for the 8bit era home computers, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, BBC B, under the "Ultimate play the game label".

I think they got involved with Nintendo as early as 1985.

These guys are easily in their mid-to-late fifities.

They probably want to relax and enjoy themelves. They have nothing to prove and no need to work.

Not only was there Goldeneye, but there was also Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark(the real one, not the 360 version), and Conkers Bad Fur Day. Conkers actually started out as some really kiddy game called Conkers Quest. You might remember Conker from Diddy Kong Racing, which in it's own right was a rather solid game. Remember that Rare had an early start with awesomeness. Does anyone remember a game called Battletoads for the NES and later Sega. That was all Rare. More recently, before the X360, on the Gamecube, they made StarFox Adventures. I never played the game and didn't hear too much about.

Their management has changed and they have lost some key members as people have already stated. Just looking at their recent games we see Grabbed by the Ghoulies, PD: Zero, Kameo, and Viva Pinata. Their next title to be released for the X360 is Banjo-Kazooie 3, or at least as far as we know. Of the games mentioned recently, Viva Pinata is really the only solid title. Even though it is a great game, it only appeals to a very small audience. I know they were trying to do the whole Animal Crossing thing, but it just didn't happen. My guess is people have lost loyalty to Rare due to their recent past. This has hurt their image and people are reluctant to buy Rare games, especially something as "risky" as Viva Pinata.

One things to note is they are making GBA games and now have Nintendo DS devkits. They have announced Diddy Kong Racing DS. I don't know any of their GBA games or if they have any currently released DS games.

I don't know what is going on with Rare and I hope they get things back in order. Looking at the future titles announced, I just don't see anything great coming from them. They had a great chance with Kameo and PD: Zero, and they ruined it. The games weren't terrible, but they weren't great either. They were just acceptable. Kameo, while it was a fun game was just too short and it in general felt like there should have been more there.

Conkers was one of the best N64 titles. That includes the SP and MP, each stand on their own and together you have an excellent title. One of my favorite games of all time... and I didn't quite enjoy the humor. The gameplay was a ton of fun, perfect party game. Teddyz!

Surprisingly enough, I don't know if people remember this, Conkers actually went on tour with Playboy. If I remember correctly, it was some contest where you could win prizes. They went to bars around the U.S. and maybe elsewhere. The contest had you play the gametype where you were the Squirrels vs the Teddyz at either Omaha or Normandy Beach. The Squirrels were located in the side of a mountain, bunkered in with a heavy machine gun. The Squirrels were to prevent the Teddyz from gaining entrance to a tunnel located directly below their bunker. That was an awesome game mode which didn't make it into the Xbox version of the game. This was very surprising since it was amazingly fun and loved by the original Conker fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of Rare's titles of late (Kameo, Conker, PD0) have been okay to date... however I think they still have their magical touch due to a wonderful game called Viva Pinata. VP is just an awesome awesome game with so much charm and depth. I still have faith in Rare. :smile:

<...> on the Gamecube, they made StarFox Adventures. I never played the game and didn't hear too much about.
Ultra-generic unfun by-the-numbers meh action adventure with issues and awesome visuals. That should do it justice.

Back