LG to debut dual format Blu-ray & HD DVD player at CES

Arty

KEPLER
Veteran
Dual format player & discs set to debut at CES

From Engadget.

Most interesting (exciting) thing I'm looking forward to, be prepared for a price premium. Maybe Toshiba can shock us with cheaper HD DVD players. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
More links:
LG Officially Announces HD DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Player to launch in Q1 2007
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home...rst-blurayhd-dvd-dualformat-player-225924.php
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/Engnews/20070104/660000000020070104110044E0.html

Great news for HD DVD! If you were a studio and you knew that both formats had both approximately the same userbase due to combo players, which would you release in? The one more expensive to replicate (Blu-Ray) or the one cheaper to replicate (HD DVD)?

In the end though, this is the best news for US! Kudos to LG!

So, has common sense prevailed? Surely not! Such a dual-format device would make decisions much too easy for the consumer so I don't doubt something bad will happen before it is released! :p

Some may argue that a dual format player is worse for consumers because there's no need for two formats at the first place. If there's no format war, the consumers can settle on a one format solution which is supposed to be cheaper.

Although IMHO since the format war is already there and there's no clear winner in the near future, a dual format player, if reasonably priced, is the best thing we can expect.

The material cost of making a dual format player shouldn't be too much more than a single format player. There are already dual format driver chips and decoder chips, and the video/audio codecs for both formats are common. The only big differences are in the "software" side (e.g. the interactive functions), but it's mostly a development cost thing. However, licensing cost is another issue.

By the way, here's the press release from LG Electronics.

Warner to Unveil First Blu-ray/HD DVD Hybrid Discs at CES

In a surprise leak of what could well turn out to be the biggest high-def news to come out of this year's CES, The New York Times is reporting that Warner Home Video is set to bring the first Blu-ray/HD DVD hybrid discs to market in 2007.

According to the story, the studio is hoping to both calm consumers' fears over the competing next-gen formats as well as spur high-def hardware sales by creating a Blu-ray/HD DVD hybrid, which the studio is dubbing a "Total HD" disc.

“The next best thing is to recognize that there will be two formats, and to make that not a negative for the consumer," said Meyer. "We [Warner] felt that the most significant constituency for us to satisfy was the consumer first, and the retailer second. The retailer wants to sell hardware and doesn't want to be forced into stocking two formats for everything. This is ideal for them."
Either this or the dual format player will become redudant. :runaway:

I'm really happy to see a CE and a Content company put their foot forward to end this war with products and not politics. I wish them both well.

If Warner can make those discs affordably and still keep the A/V quality higher, it would be great and hopefully other studios will jump onboard in the near future.

All dual format players will do is drag out the format war. I simply will not buy discs until I know they won't become coasters in the short term.

The dual format discs help in that regard but what's the cost of the compromise?

All dual format players will do is drag out the format war. I simply will not buy discs until I know they won't become coasters in the short term.

Yep thats the problem that the players wont solve. So you can play one or the other, doesnt change the fact that one will become garbage. If you buy a large library, going to tie yourself to having to buy machines that can play both for the life of the format? How useful would a VHS/Betamax player of been? This is just another move to sucker in consumers to early adopt which is just as stupid now as it was before in my opinion.

Surely dual-format players would make the format war irrelevant? Assuming you can play anything released whatever the format, why should you care who 'wins'?

It makes it somewhat less risky, but not entirely. At least not initially. Let's say for example that the player supports both formats A and B. Format A ends up 'losing' the format war during 2007 and no studios are supporting it from 2008 forward. Meanwhile, only a few million discs of Format A are in in the wild. Format B, victorious, really starts kicking butt on the sales front as hesitant consumers who were waiting for the shake-out finally jump in the market.

Fast forward to 2009 when your neighbor's 5 yr old drips melted ice cream in the vents of your hybrid player, killing it dead, dead, dead. Now, when you go to the store, how likely are you to find in 2009 that hybrid players that will play Format A for you are still being made/sold given the facts I stated above?

So, yeah, hybrid players are certainly a step forward, but they aren't quite a panacea, at least until we're sure that both formats have achieved enough mass and pentetration so that both survive long-term, or at least the "loser" has enough penetration to ensure that legacy support is an economically worthwhile thing for player makers to support indefinitely on a go-forward basis.

Samsung had announced the very same thing in mid 2006, and it fell through, maybe it will come true this time.....it's the best for everybody really, nobody gets excluded, both formats can thrive and co-exist in harmony

While this is great news for early adopters and enthusiasts, it does complicate the war a bit more. The one proper way it could work out is end user transparency. Say that Universal players become the norm a year from now.

Then studios could use the HD30 media for a lot of their releases and anything longer, they could use BD50's. The end user would have no idea. The problem here clearly is that this would leave the PS3 somewhat useless for movie playback (unless it can be firmware updated to support HD DVD). The above scenario is a valid one but will never happen due to the politics involved.

For the next year, this war will be a bit of mess. My personal hope is that by the time CEDIA rolls around, sept 2007, we have a clear picture going forward. If the BR camp can hold strong, keep their advantage and press forward very strong: entry level players, exclusive studios releasing desireable titles and lots of them, they should be able to pull away from HD DVD and never look back. However if HD DVD can pull some CE and content support and more importantly get entry level players, $299 or below, with proper marketing behind them, they should be able to win over the general consumer based on pricing.

Fast forward to 2009 when your neighbor's 5 yr old drips melted ice cream in the vents of your hybrid player, killing it dead, dead, dead. Now, when you go to the store, how likely are you to find in 2009 that hybrid players that will play Format A for you are still being made/sold given the facts I stated above?

Good point, but I don't doubt that in 5 years time, Blu-ray/HD-DVD rippers a la DeCSS will be in circulation so you'll be able to rip any disk to your computer's 5 TB hard disk and play from there! :p

Ugly. I hope thats not the final look of it.

$1,199.00
8203311_sa.jpg

8203311_ra.jpg

8203311_ba.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat87100050009&id=1165610378688

Back