Crunch, Pop, Spray, Crack, Ooze, and NEXT-GEN!

I think Heavenly Sword could be very beautiful with the blood and gore.

I think it fits in perfectly!

Quite an oxymoron (unless you consider blood & gore beautiful....o_O). For example...God of War is an amazing looking game, arguably the best PS2 game ever made, but I don't think people consider it "beautiful". "Awesome" and "Amazing" comes to mind but I don't think beautiful is the usual word of choice. But if some one does describe it with that word I doubt they are referring to the blood and gore.

babcat,

I can't believe you're still carrying on with the blood and gore talk. I can't see anyone agreeing with the silly notion that blood and gore makes a game better. I might have agreed when I was 12 years old, but now not... Please give it a rest. I don't think there's an intelligent argument you can make to state what about blood and gore would make any game noticeably better.

btw I saw the texas chainsaw massacre... and I thought it was a pretty stupid gore movie. I'd take a movie with a good plot over that garbage any day... I've seen scarier comedy's.

In a general sense of wanting to translate the environment to the gameworld realistically I can understand the desire to have all aspects to be represented realistically in the game world. This medium is different than all others though in you as the player have direct control on what happens and hence what is shown. Movies offer a controlled environment and what you see is intentional from the Director.

I think for the most part Games devs have done a good job of representing reality while not going over the top. Some have gone the route of censorship/not bothering with such details.

I think representing the general idea of what is happening onscreen in games that are attempting to provide a realistic interpritation of the events is appropriate. Many are not attempting to do so or are stylized on some form or fashion. Depends on the intent of the developer.

I must say I do miss the vomit inducing gut punches from sf2 in modern fighters.:smile:

Realistical graphical violence is a niche market, and blood and gore just for the sake of it, it's even more limited, since it will be appealing only to borderline personalities or people with some kind of emotional/psychological disturbancies.
Games are made with a market in mind, and I am certain in the forseeble future, this market will be too small to be considered by a game publisher/developer.

Atempts have been made - I remember the game Postal was advertised as hell by it's publisher some 2-3 years ago - and it didnt fly.

I also remember Manhunt dot doing so well just because in many peoples eye the game was too graphical in violence (and gratuitous I might add - you were awarded for killing your victims in the most gruesome way).

In God of War the violence is more style that realistic, and that's why everybody loved it. This is the kind of violence that has a good market, and it sets some sort of a standard of where violent games shoulde tend to position themselves.

Realistical graphical violence is a niche market, and blood and gore just for the sake of it, it's even more limited, since it will be appealing only to borderline personalities or people with some kind of emotional/psychological disturbancies.
Games are made with a market in mind, and I am certain in the forseeble future, this market will be too small to be considered by a game publisher/developer.

Atempts have been made - I remember the game Postal was advertised as hell by it's publisher some 2-3 years ago - and it didnt fly.

I also remember Manhunt dot doing so well just because in many peoples eye the game was too graphical in violence (and gratuitous I might add - you were awarded for killing your victims in the most gruesome way).

In God of War the violence is more style that realistic, and that's why everybody loved it. This is the kind of violence that has a good market, and it sets some sort of a standard of where violent games shoulde tend to position themselves.

Great post. Agreed.

I am of the opinion that increased detail in interactivity is needed in games. This blood guts etc would be an aspect of this detail but is also disturbing if taken to realistic levels. Games such as FF where the Hero wields a 6 ft long sword slashed across his enemy would result in a very different game if reality were represented. Then again a character as small as the typical FF Hero slashing anyone with a sword that heavy is a bit unrealistic as well.

In short:
Detail = Good
Detail != Reality/realistic

I just watched a trailer of "The Darkness" and it showed a man having half of his head bitten off. Now, in a horror like game with monsters that is what we need to see happening. Why? Because it's realistic.

In the same way in a game like Heavenly Sword where giant swords are being swung around people need to get sliced up. Thankfully, it seems like Heavenly Sword is going to have blood and is going to be an MA game.

babcat,

I can't believe you're still carrying on with the blood and gore talk. I can't see anyone agreeing with the silly notion that blood and gore makes a game better. I might have agreed when I was 12 years old, but now not... Please give it a rest. I don't think there's an intelligent argument you can make to state what about blood and gore would make any game noticeably better.

btw I saw the texas chainsaw massacre... and I thought it was a pretty stupid gore movie. I'd take a movie with a good plot over that garbage any day... I've seen scarier comedy's.
whilst im agreement about the blood and gore stuff it is childish
i disagree about texas chainsaw massacre, its one of the best 10 horror films ever, + still has amazing impact, eg the first time u see leatherface when he comes out the door and baps that girl over the head with a mallet and is gone, amazing. then hangs her up on the meat hook, the table scene at the end (alluded to in the recent rob zombie flick, house of 1000 corpses) the whole film was a true genre defining movie statement. coupled with great camera work throughout, all filmed on a very limited budget. true it wasnt really a scary film but horrors dont necessarily have to be

Dunno if this works, but there is a game comming out called dark sector for both the ps3 and the xts.
Erm, does anyone know how to embed movies from GT into post?

Dark Sector

bab would like the game...

Back