The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had an intersting though! - Maybe the delay of R600 again for May 2007 was because R600 has no problem too out-performing 8800GTX, and also Nvidia 8900GTX is also around the corner. So ATI wanted to surprise Nvidia 8900GTX with an ATI R600 X2900XTX, and ATI does not wanted to show right now to Nvidia what R600 is capable of.

hmm that might be right :???: , I guess that would mean they don't care about sales of thier high end cards this quarter too and possible sales in the future since some people won't upgrade for quite some time ;) :?:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/02/28/amd_690g_launch/

AMD moved to squash mumbles of manufacturing problems with the R600 GPU, which has been delayed "a few weeks". It wheeled out a teraflop-capable desktop working off GPU-enabled "stream computing". Researchers at Stanford were already writing supercomputing applications for the beast, which has two R600s on board. (mike?)

"R600 is doing very well and there's a reason we're going to launch it when we're going to launch it...I'll take the blame", Richard said.

Dual R600 for GPGPU?

bye

I don't think the G80 Vista driver can be called non functional, its working perfectly fine for me on Vista32 and an 8800GTS. Its WHQL certified, purevideo works fine, games work fine, dual view works fine and speed/stability seem, well... fine!

Stability is my only slight concern as I do get a bit of crashing but its generally in modded games so I can't hold nvidia completely to blame. Plus its generally in menus or as the game quits, not in gameplay and doesn't effect windows - I simply restart the app.

I doubt casual users would have any idea at all that there are supposed problems with nvidia's G80 drivers in Vista.

You must be in the minority..... My progressively is getting worse with each "beta" release. Nothing like crashing every hour, or less with this error. I won't even start with the game issues.

driverstoperror.jpg

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/02/28/amd_690g_launch/

AMD moved to squash mumbles of manufacturing problems with the R600 GPU, which has been delayed "a few weeks". It wheeled out a teraflop-capable desktop working off GPU-enabled "stream computing". Researchers at Stanford were already writing supercomputing applications for the beast, which has two R600s on board. (mike?)

"R600 is doing very well and there's a reason we're going to launch it when we're going to launch it...I'll take the blame", Richard said.

Dual R600 for GPGPU?

bye
Keyword there is desktop. R600 in Crossfire should easily break the 1TFlop barrier.

EETimes also has a story, presumably about the same event:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700269

Separately, AMD gave one of the first public demos of the R600, its next-generation graphics controller that uses 320 multiply-accumulate units. The company showed a Barcelona-based system using two 200W R600 graphics cards to hit a terabit/second benchmark.

Heh, 80 vec4s it is. So it's not that hard to believe R600 can compete with G80 now. I'm still bored out of my gourd with all the waiting, but at least the palpitations have subsided. AMD-ATI may yet live another quarter! ;)

How about triple 8800 GTX (a.k.a "SLI 2.0") ?
Is it enough for the 1TFlop barrier ?
Should be enough, but this thread is about R600. :p

Heh, 80 vec4s it is. So it's not that hard to believe R600 can compete with G80 now. I'm still bored out of my gourd with all the waiting, but at least the palpitations have subsided. AMD-ATI may yet live another quarter! ;)
I think Geo will be one happy cat, he's always pushed for 80, however odd it sounded.

Well, it turns out that 320 is equally divisble into reasonable numbers by both 4 and 5. :D And 5 gives you a linkup to both xbit and Xenos. . .but anyway you look at it, "scalar ahoy!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back