The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riiiiiiiight, so the GTX is a cut-down G80 now?
So PS3 really is more powerful than the 8800 since it's the full-G80 and not the cut-down G80 they have in the 8800? :runaway:

Also, don't forget those with access to x-ray machines and G80 cores--they would have said something if there really were missing ALUs in there.

ATI R600 coming in March or April
ATI is preparing for the release of its high-end graphic chip, the R600, with the chip expected to hit the market between the end of March and beginning of April, according to Taiwan-based graphic card makers.

The R600, which will compete head to head against Nvidia's G80, is manufactured on 80nm node, supports DirectX10 and features DDR4, the Taiwan makers added.

The R600 will come in four models targeting different market segments. The high-end part will have power consumption of 270 Watts and target OEM partners, such as Dell, sources said. ...

The other models (including XTX, XT, XL) will target channel markets and will have a power consumption lower than 240 Watts, added the sources.
:?:
Sounds a little bit senseless.

With the "high end part" going to OEM's, does that mean that the OEM version of the card will be faster than the consumer XTX model?

Fuad reading the OCW table out loud. He references the OCW table but with a funny

Just before we posted this one we received this link here that matches our information.
Inq is getting very slow these days. They were the last ones to leak G80 specs too. :sly:

So now they are saying it's 128 "shaders"? They got that from the OCW table, they've been saying 64 "shaders" this far. :LOL:

I don't know. 25% more shaders doesn't sound unbelievable for their next high-end part, as long as it's on 80nm. The bump up to 160 shader pipelines would certainly be a feather in nVidia's cap. It is, perhaps, more likely that we'll have to wait until their full-on refresh for a part that offers more than 128 shaders (probably this fall sometime). But it doesn't sound so out of the question now.

Seems kind of dumb to release a chip with 25% of the units shut off. Unless they had wicked yield issues and wanted to fast track the chip out the door.

Seems kind of dumb to release a chip with 25% of the units shut off. Unless they had wicked yield issues and wanted to fast track the chip out the door.
Oh, I don't think nVidia did that. I'm just commenting that a move to 80nm might potentially allow a 25% increase in ALU's without increasing the overall die size. It seems unlikely to me that such a change will happen until the next major refresh, but not out of the question.

Russell - fair enough. To add another possibility: maybe the target is 25% more shader performance and that got turned into 25% more shaders while passing through the grapevine. So maybe 8900 is really just a respin to get to ~1.68GHz shader clock (and presumably some kind of boost to the slower clock domain as well).

Hey! That's a cited quote! Blame Rahul Sood if R600 doesn't do a "oh nooes, there goes Tokyo!" imitation! I don't *know* that VoodooPC got a sample and/or a briefing. I'd think they'd be a highly interested party tho, and given they are part of the HP family now, a party with better than average chances of getting sneak peaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back