The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh the infamous missing mul rears its head. ;)
I don't know. 25% more shaders doesn't sound unbelievable for their next high-end part, as long as it's on 80nm. The bump up to 160 shader pipelines would certainly be a feather in nVidia's cap. It is, perhaps, more likely that we'll have to wait until their full-on refresh for a part that offers more than 128 shaders (probably this fall sometime). But it doesn't sound so out of the question now.

There's a generational difference between my 8800GTX and the X1900XT it replaced. I think it would be a bit much to expect R600 to wallop 8800GTX on the same kind of scale as 8800GTX generally walloped X19xx. I've enjoyed my 8800GTX for 3 months now, and it will be more than 4, it appears, by the time R600 hits the scene.

By how much percent % R600 has to be faster then G80 in order for you to upgrade ?

[Edit: But just remember somebody is going to have faster/ better then what you currently have in short time of period, and you will not have the best video card anymore :) and every time you look at your video card and will know somebody will have something better then what you own right now! :) :)]

Last edited by a moderator:
trini - I guess the reasoning would be that it's currently "cut down" to get acceptable yield and that they've been stockpiling completely perfect dies for the r600 launch. I suppose it's possible... but then again this little nugget popped out of the horse's rear of news sites. IMO if an 8900 even gets released in the near future, then 80nm seems more likely (after all they must have ported the major elements of the g80 design to 80nm a long time ago for the midrange cards).

By how much percent % R600 has to be faster then G80 in order for you to upgrade ?

Dunno, man. I'm more of an IQ slut than an FPS slut. :smile: Often 30% FPS isn't going to do all that much for me if that's all it brings. Tho there are exceptions --I bought a "vanilla" 6800 to play FarCry with and then sold it on ebay to a Euro within a week (and kept the FarCry that came with it) to buy a 6800GT instead, as it just made enough of a difference in the settings I could play at to make me do it. Otoh, I had an X1800XL AIW that I was quite content to wait for X1900XT to get to a price level where I couldn't resist it anymore.

Dunno, man. I'm more of an IQ slut than an FPS slut. :smile: Often 30% FPS isn't going to do all that much for me if that's all it brings.

But you will not have the best! :) and somebody will :) :) it's ok I was just joking from very beginning :).

best regards,

Shtal....

trini - I guess the reasoning would be that it's currently "cut down" to get acceptable yield and that they've been stockpiling completely perfect dies for the r600 launch. I suppose it's possible... but then again this little nugget popped out of the horse's rear of news sites.

To be fair, at no point did Fuad insist that this was the case. He merely said that if this new card (which may or may not exist, but I'm sure nVidia will release something) is using the G80 core, then that means that there have been hidden shaders all along. Unlike most of the bullshit he makes up, he's actually honestly speculating for once (instead of speculating and passing it off as the truth).

But you will not have the best! :) and somebody will :) :) it's ok I was just joking from very beginning :).

best regards,

Shtal....

To put things into perspective (since I have the feeling you missed his point) his best would be the sollution that delivers primarily the highest image quality and not a couple of meaningless fps more.

He obviously didn't mean anything about the G80 or R600 in that regard, it's just that his personal preferences (just like mine) are more concentrated in the IQ direction. If R600 should deliver higher image quality even at lower performance than a G80, he'd most likely jump for it without a second thought.

inq just reported the r600 retail will support a vapochill solution.. 1x6&1x8 is only for overdriver.

That would indicate that peak power consumption is going to be close to 200 wats. Now it's not just global warming, but also local warming. :yep2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back