The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this cooling solution (longer than the PCB) can be better than a PCB long cooling solution (or little (0.5-1inch) longer) , there is a huge airflow area where there is nothing what need air cooling,
r600cooling0uw.jpg

and i don't think, this longer AIR channel solution can be better.

Could be a cutaway diagram, with the end piece of the heatsink removed to show what's beneath (or to give a better view of the PCB or length speculation).

Or something... I don't really care, I just want my honking big bracketed R600 to thwack into my excessively large Stacker with its plenitude of 120mm fans to keep the damn thing cool and happy.

;)

Maybe they just wanted more advertising space on their cards?

I still can't figure out why those power connectors are pointing downwards instead of outwards unless it's to show what they are.

It's rendered, and it obviously lacks details. The circled area is where there usually is some power circuitry. That needs cooling and likely have its own heatsink.

r600xtx.jpg

I made some adjustment to be more believable! :)

I think this looks better.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a nice chance, with the company now being amd and all that, to drop the silly naming scheme.

X2800XTX? how many Xs do you need before the name is ackward beyond help?

Edit: spelling and more accurate words

We might consider another reason why an OEM would be willing to take a longer card that is less refined than it's retail brother...price. If AMD had a fair amount of these longer cards (A12) and then decided midstream to switch all production to A15 (for obvious reasons like size and heat), then they would have a problem. They would be left with A12 cards they couldn't sell while they waited for stock to be built up on the new A15 respin as the R600 release. With this A15 being the x2800 XTX reference dsign, the A12 cards wouldn't have a home in the retail channel. What to do?

Well it seems obvious to me. I would get on the phone and call my favorite OEM(s) and see who wanted to be "first" to offer the new R600 x2800 XTX in their high end desktops? The catch would be that while the A12 cards have the same clock speeds and performance as the A15 cards, they are different. They are longer and hotter but we have provided suffecient cooling. You can market them as R600 cores with the same clock speeds and performance as the x2800 XTX which will be released into the retail channel shortly. So I give you first shot along with a great price and you help me out by taking these non-reference design cards off my hands. Sound good?

How Crossfire and mobos figure into this I do not pretend to know but seems like AMD is trying to get some return on their A12 silicon even though they went with A15. Is this unheard of? Are there other examples of this?

We might consider another reason why an OEM would be willing to take a longer card that is less refined than it's retail brother...price. If AMD had a fair amount of these longer cards (A12) and then decided midstream to switch all production to A15 (for obvious reasons like size and heat), then they would have a problem. They would be left with A12 cards they couldn't sell while they waited for stock to be built up on the new A15 respin as the R600 release. With this A15 being the x2800 XTX reference dsign, the A12 cards wouldn't have a home in the retail channel. What to do?

Well it seems obvious to me. I would get on the phone and call my favorite OEM(s) and see who wanted to be "first" to offer the new R600 x2800 XTX in their high end desktops? The catch would be that while the A12 cards have the same clock speeds and performance as the A15 cards, they are different. They are longer and hotter but we have provided suffecient cooling. You can market them as R600 cores with the same clock speeds and performance as the x2800 XTX which will be released into the retail channel shortly. So I give you first shot along with a great price and you help me out by taking these non-reference design cards off my hands. Sound good?

How Crossfire and mobos figure into this I do not pretend to know but seems like AMD is trying to get some return on their A12 silicon even though they went with A15. Is this unheard of? Are there other examples of this?

I don't know if it's been done before (other than 7900GX2), but that, in so many words, was what I was thinking. Thanks for the articulation. :)

The only other possible scenario that could make the A12 and A15 both being released plausible is if the XT and/or XL and/or GT using A12 could run at their respective specs/clocks with the smaller (9'') design/cooling. It only seems apparent the XTX cannot. I agree your scenario is most likely though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a nice chance, with the company now being amd and all that, to drop the silly naming scheme.

I agree with you 100%. It's been bad enough in the past... Is it a Roman numeral or is it a letter? One X more means a new generation or simply a slightly improved version of the same model? While NV's naming scheme isn't the most consumer friendly either (at least until they run out of two-and-three letter combinations) I've always found it slightly easier to comprehend.

Roman numeral, they`ve gone through 8500-97(8)00-10(X)800-11(X1)8(9)00 and so on and so forth. And yes, I kindof agree it sucks:)

Judging by that photo it seems as if the card remains at 9 inches long and only the cooler extends to 12.

I wish I had the superman powers too.

All I see is a bit of the cooler of this supposed OEM card, but you are able to see that the retail card will be 9 inches?

I'm impressed.

I wish I had the superman powers too.

All I see is a bit of the cooler of this supposed OEM card, but you are able to see that the retail card will be 9 inches?

I'm impressed.

The fan looks like it has the same diameter as the G80 one.
Since we can tell by this photo where the PCB ends, it's safe to assume that the previous R600 schematic was pretty close to the real deal, and from there we can safely extrapolate to a certain degree.

A non-OEM R600 PCB at 9-inches long seems plausible.

From the VrZone forum, the R600 Fan cooling... for real.... this is the long version...
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showpost.php?p=3178127&postcount=1

at least the cards are still red.

Personally i think the massive cooler is being done to discourage people from purchasing cheaper OEM models from e-tailers rather than being created out of necessity for the cooling of a certain chip version. The PCBs are all going to be the same length, theres absolutly no excuse to have a fan overhanging 4 inches off the back of a card from an engineering point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back