Firefly Coming to DVD

Babel-17

Veteran
http://slashdot.org/articles/03/04/13/1337242.shtml?tid=129

Firefly Coming to DVD

Posted by CmdrTaco on Sunday April 13, @11:06AM
from the insert-mandarin-quote-here dept.
Kaypro writes "According to the scoop over at Ain't it Cool, it seems that Fox has decided that there's not enough viewers to keep the Firefly series on the air, but somehow there's enough fans to make money off DVD sales. Go figure. Included in the set will be the entire season plus unaired episodes and the original pilot in full 16:9 format. Extras I assume are included as well. No release date has been set as of yet." The missing episodes will be nice. In order will be nice. Such a good show. The last couple of episodes were just awesome.

I'm posting this here at Beyond3D as I know there is at least one avid fan of this now defunct series. This also gives me the chance to thank that person for "pimping" the show in his sig. Because of that I got interested enough to search for the episodes and I was finally able to see them all.

Very nice stuff imo. It's freshness outweighed the bit of "cheese" it had and there were many great elements to it.

Hey, Old thread from the dead, but someone lent me the DVD the other week and I’ve got to say this is one of the most enjoyable programs I’ve seen for a long time – characters, scripting and humour are very well done. Big shame that they cancelled this. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to wait for “Serenityâ€￾.

Why was it cancelled?
What season was it cancelled on?

I love FF. :(

DaveBaumann said:
Hey, Old thread from the dead, but someone lent me the DVD the other week and I’ve got to say this is one of the most enjoyable programs I’ve seen for a long time – characters, scripting and humour are very well done. Big shame that they cancelled this. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to wait for “Serenityâ€￾.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Why was it cancelled?
What season was it cancelled on?

I love FF. :(

About two thirds of the way throught the first season - it didn't even complete one series before the TV company junked it. IIRC, the DVD has the extra episodes that were made but not aired.

The series is already on DVD, I saw it for sale in Blockbuster today not far frome where I live (Sydney, Australia) while I was waiting for my pizzas a couple of shops away. I nearly bought it but I had second thoughts as I've only seen parts of episodes and never whole episodes.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Why was it cancelled?

The usual reason. Clueless 'suits' who are only interested in their own jobs and think their bosses will appreciate perceived savings.

Personally, I wasn't too taken with it to start off with (some sloppy science in there) but it did develop into a quite enjoyable programme and I was disappointed to see it disappear.

When you think of some of the trash which has loads of series, it really does make you wonder what's going on in TV-land...

Isn't it awesome? We never saw it when it was on TV (this would be part of the problem), but love the DVDs. Very American post-Civil War cowboy era in space, with a Chinese twist. Really cool. I kept expecting to hear "I'm a good ole' Rebel" show up in the soundtrack at some point.

It's a crime that Joss Whedon doesn't have a show on TV right now. Tho I suspect part of the reason for that is he does scifi/fantasy and refuses to do them on the cheap. . .and doing them well requires more money than your average sitcom because of the special effects, costumes, makeup, etc.

geo said:
It's a crime that Joss Whedon doesn't have a show on TV right now. Tho I suspect part of the reason for that is he does scifi/fantasy and refuses to do them on the cheap. . .and doing them well requires more money than your average sitcom because of the special effects, costumes, makeup, etc.

But look at how much money you make from a serious fan base. You sell the show all over the world, as well as the DVDs, the mouspads, the books, the spin-off series, etc.

I must say, i was THE BIGGEST Buff+Angel fan, but Firefly just freaking bored me to hell and back. Not sure why it just didn't do anything for me...

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
geo said:

But look at how much money you make from a serious fan base. You sell the show all over the world, as well as the DVDs, the mouspads, the books, the spin-off series, etc.

The question is tho, *who makes the money* for that stuff? The network or the production company? Look at the pricing, and popularity, of Buffy and Angel DVD's. . .they do very, very well, and are very reasonably priced. These two factors have a direct relationship. . .do the networks who aired those shows share in that, and to what degree? If they don't, then they have to make their nut off the original airings and production costs are a significant factor.

We'd love to have the Bab5 DVD's, but won't pay the price they want. . .yet we have all seven seasons of Buffy and all five of Angel.

geo said:
The question is tho, *who makes the money* for that stuff? The network or the production company? Look at the pricing, and popularity, of Buffy and Angel DVD's. . .they do very, very well, and are very reasonably priced. These two factors have a direct relationship. . .do the networks who aired those shows share in that, and to what degree? If they don't, then they have to make their nut off the original airings and production costs are a significant factor.

Depends on the contracts ie who has the rights to what sorts of merchandise, syndication, etc. On the whole, the network studios like Warners or Fox make the big money, because they stumped up the cash to get the series made in the first place and have screwed everyone else on the contracts as much as they can.

Remember it was only a few years back there was all that strike action because the studios weren't paying actors residuals on DVD sales because of a loophole in the original, pre-DVD era.

Even people like JMS claim they made hardly any money on successful shows like B5. Yes, people get paid, but its ususally only the studios that reap the rewards of a big show. It's even more pronounced now that DVD sales can account for up to 50 percent of the profit from the new market that didn't exist a few years back.

That's why you always hear stories of actors on big successful shows striking for more money - they usually get a small amount of cash to begin with, and when the studio is raking in hundreds of millions on a big hit, the actors want to get a small slice of the financial success too.

london-boy said:
I must say, i was THE BIGGEST Buff+Angel fan, but Firefly just freaking bored me to hell and back. Not sure why it just didn't do anything for me...
You prefer gay vampires to kick ass sci-fi?

Sigh, firefly, what a show.

Fox did their utmost to screw that show from the begining and succeded in cancelling something special.

Fox decided that the 2hours pilot was too slow, and skiped it. So we start the show not know alot of the background story, then they prempt the show so you didnt know when the show was going to be on. God they suck so bad.

Im really looking forward to the movie, apperantly they postponed the release to septmber because they are that impressed with the movie.

LB, how many episodes of the show did you watch before you gave up? Did you start from the begining or somewhere into the series?

Firefly ranks in the top 3 shows of all time for me. In no particular order: Firefly, xfiles, family guy.

epic

geo said:
We'd love to have the Bab5 DVD's, but won't pay the price they want. . .yet we have all seven seasons of Buffy and all five of Angel.
Where are you located? UK? £16.99 per season cheap enough for you? In Austrailia they're AUD $54 ($58 with international shipping.) How about Farscape for AUD $54 including international shipping.

Edit: And inspired by this thread I just ordered Firefly for myself. £12.82 shipped was too cheap to pass up. Thanks to Dave for the reminder, as I had been planning to get it for a while.

epicstruggle said:
Sigh, firefly, what a show.

Fox did their utmost to screw that show from the begining and succeded in cancelling something special.

Fox decided that the 2hours pilot was too slow, and skiped it. So we start the show not know alot of the background story, then they prempt the show so you didnt know when the show was going to be on. God they suck so bad.

Im really looking forward to the movie, apperantly they postponed the release to septmber because they are that impressed with the movie.

LB, how many episodes of the show did you watch before you gave up? Did you start from the begining or somewhere into the series?

Firefly ranks in the top 3 shows of all time for me. In no particular order: Firefly, xfiles, family guy.

epic

I fell asleep halfway through the pilot. I had the whole series on my hard drive and deleted it. Just couldn't force myself to watch it.

london-boy said:
I fell asleep halfway through the pilot. I had the whole series on my hard drive and deleted it. Just couldn't force myself to watch it.

It did get much better as the series went on. I, too, thought it pretty weak at the beginning but it wasn't half bad overall.

Mariner said:
london-boy said:

It did get much better as the series went on. I, too, thought it pretty weak at the beginning but it wasn't half bad overall.

Well it took me a few weeks to finish dloading it, and now that i've deleted it without even backing it up, not gonna dload it again anytime soon.

Back