The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2887

"What did we learn? Unfortunately, some of the more exciting items are under NDA until CES but we did pick up a few tidbits here and there. It appears the AMD/ATI R600 graphics cards are still on schedule for an early Q1 2007 launch and should provide some very serious competition to the GeForce 8800 series. However, all of the expected benefits and performance improvements of this release will also bring some serious power requirements. We heard power consumption numbers hovering around 430~450W for the high-end CrossFire setup while under full load. Those are power requirements just for the cards according to our sources who said the first silicon spins actually consumed even more power. What the final numbers will be is anyone's guess but be prepared to start looking at 800W+ power supplies in the near future if you want to run extreme performance GPU configurations."

Still on schedule? I doubt it. And 430W, that's a lot of power drain!

8 memory chips on each side would make for 1GB in total.
If that's the case & they're mounted back-to-back, there may be implications for the number of channels/ring-stops as per my previous postulation. I assumed 16 independent chips on the front of the board.

geo said:
Remind me again how many of those Best Buy and New Egg sold? ;)
Huh? Home Depot or Walmart would be more appropriate for imperial/metric steel rules!

The average joe buys a X1300 at Best Buy because it has 512MB onboard. And so it must be really good.

You would think it would be obvious to guage performance based on price, and yet Joe still goes for the 512MB X1300 instead of the 256MB X1600 for the same or similar price.

I consider anything longer than the Voodoo 5 to be unacceptable. I've got a decent sized tower (4 optical, 2 floppy, 4 hard drives) and I cannot fit anything longer than 10" in it without having to remove one of my hard drives. A 12" card would not fit at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it a bit off topic (like many posts in this thread lol) but this will be the platform that the R600 is supposedly geared to run best on.

just a thought

How many of these average joe's are going to be buying a £400 graphics card? When it comes to enthusiast parts it is more to do with performance, as most of these people are technical and know that more memory doesnt necessarily equal more speed.

As for my case, from the bracket to the end of the hard drive enclosure in the front, which has a big thick fan on it as well I get around 14 inches, probably be 16 inches with just a plain hard drive instead on an enclosure. Besides, anyone buying this card who has a small cheap case deserves whats coming to them :devilish:

I wasn't talking about high end cards, average joe never buys high end. It is the low-end and mid-range cards that boast a lot of memory but have no power.

I chose NV over ATI last time around, for two reasons: Single slot (7800GTX) and no delays. Since both are now dual slot, so ATI's delay pretty much does it for me.

Things are going from bad to worse for ATI...

I chose NV over ATI last time around, for two reasons: Single slot (7800GTX) and no delays. Since both are now dual slot, so ATI's delay pretty much does it for me.

Things are going from bad to worse for ATI...

Sorry it may sound off-topic. No offend, but there is noting bad or worse until we see it at the end ;).

It doesn't mean that when one company can supply you a product while the other may come later will mean one is worse to the other! There are also a lot of reason behind the scence!! All in all, I would prefer AMD/ATi to put their product out only if they feel confident on them and it would be less problem as possible on their product. I don't like if it was rush out and found load of problems!! To be honest, there is no DX10 around at the moment and even G80 came out now, the users of it still cannot taste it with the Vista (even the beta one)... but can use it only in DX9 platform. I do not object that 8800GTX is the fastest DX9 around, buy it if you need it. Remember this is a product research and development, there may be unforesee problems occur in the process but this time around seems to apply on ATi side rather than to the NV, probably based on their design objectives different.

Hopefully, this round AMD/ATi will bring up the table a full line to compensate what people shout at them about being late. Also, I don't see that the X1K series are bad too... but I cannot object on it should come out a bit faster especially the laptop SKU...

Edit: Add some more and Typo...
Edit2: Bold on what I did reply on... not about buying decision!!

ATI must really be going for the knockout (1+ghz clocks?) with this revision if the a12 revision is already well faster than 8800 according to level505.

8800GTX's aren't selling anyway, everybody seems to be waiting on ATI for the other shoe to drop, before they usher this gen of cards in. As well, the big games are down the line.

I never said I would buy 8800 just because ATI is late. But I will buy the refresh of 8800 because I'm certain it will be released in the same time ATI gets the R600 out. Or even better, 8800 will be cheaper.

Edit: I'm not buying anything anyways until I see Crysis benchmarks, so the delay really doesn't affect me personally, I'm just talking about the general ATI's trend for delaying products as of late.

i think many people underestimate the importance of first to market when it comes to sales, case in point nv40 line outsold r420 line even tho r420 was faster and had better image quality, g70 outsolde r520 line under the same circumstances. g80 will likely outsell r600.

ATI must really be going for the knockout (1+ghz clocks?) with this revision if the a12 revision is already well faster than 8800 according to level505.

8800GTX's aren't selling anyway, everybody seems to be waiting on ATI for the other shoe to drop, before they usher this gen of cards in. As well, the big games are down the line.

1. The site is junk, hell they even admit to having ties to AMD/ATI
2. You know this how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back