The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rangers is right. The amount of memory is THE factor when it comes to Average Joe. I work in a certain country where less than 0.5% of PC owners know what they are buying. They just go for the big numbers, and 512MB and 1GB sure sound great. They think that's where the performance lies. (And who could blame them with all the numbering, Xs Ts)

How many of these average joe's are going to be buying a £400 graphics card? When it comes to enthusiast parts it is more to do with performance, as most of these people are technical and know that more memory doesnt necessarily equal more speed.

As for my case, from the bracket to the end of the hard drive enclosure in the front, which has a big thick fan on it as well I get around 14 inches, probably be 16 inches with just a plain hard drive instead on an enclosure. Besides, anyone buying this card who has a small cheap case deserves whats coming to them :devilish:

12 inches in the biggest of cases right now the harddrives can't be infront of the graphics cards. So thats really big, and not many cases will be able to fit that in.

Well, it's still "cards at a trade show behind closed doors", and no evidence of imminent launch. So it's a bit premature to get too wound up about it. Could be early ES samples or what have you. Doesn't necessarily mean the retail cards will be that size. The 7900GX2 vs 7950GX2 is an example of how that can change between early/OEM and retail.

Well, it's still "cards at a trade show behind closed doors", and no evidence of imminent launch. So it's a bit premature to get too wound up about it.

What about the title of this very thread? Why would you be so sure that it will be the last? :D

What about the title of this very thread? Why would you be so sure that it will be the last? :D

Because I'm a mod and I'm stubborn. I can keep this open for 5,000 pages if necessary. :LOL: (No, I'm not expecting that to be necessary. Besides, I could always make a "the Last LAST" thread. ;)).

GTX is 10.6" with my ruler. Someone once pointed out to me that some spec allowed for up to 12" boards. The problem is, modern cases generally do not. I would guess in my informal survey that a majority (surely not all, however) of current enthusiast chassis would take GTX with varying degrees of sweatin' and swearin'. And that a majority (maybe not all, however) of current enthusiast chassis would NOT take a 12" board. I'll guarantee mine won't.

CMStackers for everyone! I use mine as a footstool.

The average joe buys a X1300 at Best Buy because it has 512MB onboard. And so it must be really good.

"That" average Joe isn't exactly the sort that would spend =/>$600 on a GPU.

Personally I look at it like big round numbers, like 512 bit and 1GB, can only help ATI in the marketing wars. Probably in a decently significant way. If it's 10% faster but had a 384 bit/768 config, that's somehow less impressive than the purity of 10% faster +512/1024 config. The guy who wants the very best will be more drawn to the latter, not to mention implications of better future proofing.

I won't say that I disagree but for those a wee bit better informed, R600 better have more intruiging advantages overall than either just a bigger framebuffer/more bandwidth or just 10% more performance.

GTX is 10.6" with my ruler. Someone once pointed out to me that some spec allowed for up to 12" boards. The problem is, modern cases generally do not. I would guess in my informal survey that a majority (surely not all, however) of current enthusiast chassis would take GTX with varying degrees of sweatin' and swearin'. And that a majority (maybe not all, however) of current enthusiast chassis would NOT take a 12" board. I'll guarantee mine won't.

Mine would. Remember I've broken all that can be broken already in there ROFL :D Jokes aside that Thermaltake thingy has those special plastic clips instead of screws for add in cards. Those just weren't designed for dual slot GPUs; you break half of it out and voila it fits. I don't know how much space I've left between the GTX PCB and the first HDD, but it's most certainly more than an inch.

Because I'm a mod and I'm stubborn. I can keep this open for 5,000 pages if necessary. :LOL: (No, I'm not expecting that to be necessary. Besides, I could always make a "the Last LAST" thread. ;)).

In mine crystal bowl I see that two months from now you'll open "official R600 thread" ;)

Any decent fortune teller has usually a crystal ball instead of a bowl. In any case if there's any candy in the latter it's of course the preferable variation ;)

:?:
Who mentioned Theo? Although, "sixteen Samsung 32MB memory chips" does equal 512MB. :)
My pal emailed Theo about that memory and this is what he got:

Theo Valich said:
My bad, it's 16 on both sides of the PCB. I didn't completed the sentence...

Its these chips: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Sem.../GDDR4SDRAM/512Mbit/K4U52324QE/K4U52324QE.htm

Theo The Gigabutt

So its 16 chips on both sides of the board. (well at least according to Theo the GB):smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
8 memory chips on each side would make for 1GB in total. They're 64MB chips, not 32MB.

Jawed
That would certainly make more sence, but Gigabutt said it's 16 on both sides. Allthough he propably haven't even seen the bloody card so..:LOL:

I don't understand how you can conclude that from what I said.

I'm not sure what the backplate is meant to be for, for example.

Jawed

Didnt come to a conclusion from what you said.

To "cool" the ram on the otherside of the PCB unless it doesnt need to. Like the 7800GTX for example.

edit - Not quite sure about the thermal output of GDDR4 memory chips compared to GDDR3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back