Wii Crappiest Console Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonic

Regular
I dont normally come to the Console forum, having a PC myself. But my bro got himself a Wii and I decided to have a crack at it the past 3 days.

Thoughts.

Graphics:

I had to laugh initally at the graphics, they are the worst ever. When am I playing? Certainly not in '06-07. I look at other consoles like Xbox360 and PS3. Definately not impressed at all. Hell, some of the characters have stupid cartoony faces and no feet! Nothing for me to be excited about.

Sound:

Pretty much pling pling and pling blong. Can this console actually do great sound? Compared to the other 2, its a 4th.

Playability:

I've seen and played, that in single player games. This has no longetivity. I've been playing and watching Zelda and I get bored pretty quickly. This is a new console and Oblivion on the PC which came out months ago. Totally destroys it. Where are the narratives? All Im seeing is just text, which I have to push a button to read through. Talk about the simplistic gameplay as well. What a yawnfest. Red Steal and that Monkey game... well these are going right back to the store. Believe me on that one.

Controllers:

For some games, Nintendo gets it right. On others for example the Tennis. No matter what you do, you just do a stroke. I spent an hour and a half on playing against the computer. So many times I could have wiped the floor with it, but no. With the controller all I could do was place the ball at the other players feet. What a complete joke. I ended up being frustrated in endless volleys and my arm getting hurt.

Conclusion:

To sum up. Im glad it wasnt my money that was spent on this. The only way I would get one, is if someone bought it for me as a present and I got the games another way (like someone buying me them ;) ). I for one cant see high calibur games coming out for this and if they actually sorted the controller out there that didnt cover all range of motions to equal one thing, then they might actually have a winner. But since the graphics are rubish. Nintendo deserves 3rd place!

Finally, I havent yet played with the strap. But I have yet to actually let go of it. Who does that, I dunno. Maybe those people have something missing from the front portion of their brains! :p

This message should probably be moved into the Wii thread, and this one locked/deleted.

I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience with the Wii and that it's apparently amazing controller scheme couldn't compensate for all its visual faults.

Graphics:

I had to laugh initally at the graphics, they are the worst ever. When am I playing? Certainly not in '06-07. I look at other consoles like Xbox360 and PS3. Definately not impressed at all. Hell, some of the characters have stupid cartoony faces and no feet! Nothing for me to be excited about.

:runaway:

I would change the troll friendly title. As for worst graphics, travel back in time or just pick up a Jaguar. I think those had the worst graphics for its time of any major console release.

I would change the troll friendly title. As for worst graphics, travel back in time or just pick up a Jaguar. I think those had the worst graphics for its time of any major console release.

I actually know someone that bought a jaguar, I think it was a jaguar = i remember it had a lot of buttons.

Actually, the tennis seemed too easy, at least on the kiosk, you would usually finish off the point after two strokes. Computer wasn't much of an opponent but supposedly it gets more difficult.

Even if it gets harder, there doesn't seem to be much depth. Yes it's a game to demo the controller more than a full-fledged game.

But for one thing, you don't even have to pretend to swing the racket. It will register any motion. I was flicking my wrist in front of my body and it would swing it. More economic motion makes for less tiring sessions but not realistic.

A
But for one thing, you don't even have to pretend to swing the racket. It will register any motion. I was flicking my wrist in front of my body and it would swing it. More economic motion makes for less tiring sessions but not realistic.

But... That's the entire point! All the Wii commercials show people standing up while playing and swinging the controller around in 'realistic' motions.

As far as I can tell, 'realistic' motions are not required... you can do all the same things by sitting down (instead of standing) and flipping your wrist instead of actually swinging your whole arm.

Theres nothing wrong with this except for the fact that it eventually comes back to the entire mechanic of playing video games. You don't have to swing the controller this way or that way or lunge or duck, or do any of those things.

If you actually know what it is you are doing, you'll do better playing on the Wii while you sit on the couch, as opposed to the people who don't know what they are doing who are standing up and swinging the controller around and need a wrist band in order to not punch a hole in your TV!

That makes the controllers not better.. it just makes them different. And that means all the 'fun' that is happening isn't because there's anything new involved, it's fun because they have to re-learn how to play and that makes the games more challenging.. until they learn how to play and then its more rewarding because they feel like they've accomplished something.

I don't think the controller is capable of tracking idiosyncratic motions. For instance, in tennis, if you can two hand the back hand sometimes or put backspin or topspin depending on the situation.

In baseball, it would be nice to pitch with a three-quarter or even side-arm motion.

If it actually promoted and reinforced good mechanics, it would be much more interesting to me.

I understand that for kids, it may be fun to pretend.

Situation:

I bought the Wii to get used in our club, where you can play billard, dart, pc games, chill out, watch tv, dance, eat, drink, etc.., and for myself. Depending on game, and daytime, and all...

Gameplay:

After some weeks and a ton of people playing it I can talk a bit about the gameplay with the controller: It's great. But it's not done yet. Games that are realistic are bowling, and golf. Games that have _parts_ realistic are baseball, and, still, tennis. Yes you can 'cheat' the movement in them, based on a lack on detail on what exactly the movement has to be, but it's enough to be complicated enough for a lot of people.
Fun fact: Hardcore gamers in general, especially PC hardcore gamers are much worse than their girlfriends, I'd say about .. 80 to 90% of the times. this is just too cool :)

Graphics:

Really, anyone talking about Wii Sports to judge the graphics is just dump at all. I mean, yeah... Oh, and everyone (and I really mean everyone) _loves_ the graphics after we created his/her own Mii, which then got part of the team in baseball, or a background character f.e. in bowling. Interestingly, people identify with those characters very much.
Hint: Could it be those graphics where actually _PLANNED THAT WAY_??! :) (yes, they where).
Graphics in Zelda: Uhm, it's a gamecube game, ported over. And this is documented _everywhere_. They could have just pimped up the graphics some bit (and actually did by doing some full screen lighting effects that add quite a bit to the mood of the game), but that would have meant a lot of additional recreations for all the artists, that would then have to be retested if it all everywhere fits nicely, etc, and, in the end would have looked possibly worse in style.
They could have added bump maps with specular everywhere trough the game, but it would be huge work in a late stage of the development, and wouldn't gain anything _for the ordinary gamer_. It would have been just another check box feature. That way, they could synchronize everything with the gamecube, with minor differences, and go on. But the graphics style, mood, and, for me the most important thing, detail-consistency all over geometry, textures, _animation_ (!! gears of war is much worse f.e. with sliding feat, etc), design, compactness, correctness, structure, etc is much better than most PC, and that makes the graphics in the end look much better than quite some high end games. I'm no buzzword fan, simply put. I prefer good graphics.

Oh, and the wii can do much more in terms of graphics. At least if i look towards the next mario game, where everything _is_ pixel shaded, with some phong style lighting equation, bumpmapping, and different interesting shaders. There'll be more. Right now, all we see are gamecube games. I have to take a look at COD later, which a friend bought. But first, zelda has to be done.

Sound:
So far I'm not impressed, but thats logical. Wii Sports, again, is a cartoon style game, why should sound be that perfect?
Zelda was always sorta awkward with the sound. You may love that it has no vocals, you may think it's just dump. I like it, gives another way to identify with your character, as you don't listen to him at any time in the game, like watching a movie, but every time have to think about what he would say in your words, making more identification with the character. But I know there are enough people too brainwashed today to understand such game play-details. They could made all audio, no problem (See Resident Evil 4 on gamecube, that is perfectly possible). The music in zelda is awesome, but always sort of reminds the original midi sounds, sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. But people that played zelda over (10s of) years in general love it that way. Some of my friends are happily co-playing right now on the wii the new zelda and the original first one (over virtual console), loving both the same way, not actually "seeing" a difference, just because gameplay rocks on both.

The Fazit:

The Wii isn't for everyone. It's for everyone except PC gamers, PS3 and Xbox lovers because of the fancy graphics, and the ones brainwashed into shooters, rts, and Wow. This last phrase was sorta-rantish because of some personal experience towards these things. But it has some true point.

Graphics aren't high end. They are still, if done right, beautiful, and everyone agrees. Except the ones that'll prefer to pay 2x or more the price for a ps3 to ... watch bluray (_THEY SAY THAT ACTUALLY_!!).
Gameplay is different. Not the clicketiclick from any pc game, you have to move. This made a lot of stress for some geeks here, and is, just because of that, great :D They deserve it. (Stupid Wow-addict stole my girl.. grr.. :)).

And, the most important thing that everyone realises that critisises the Wii. _THIS ALL IS JUST THE BEGINNING_. We'll see where it goes, but, as it can only get better (if worse I just won't buy anything new ... :)), it can only get great.

Oh, and, get out with wii. People love it. Ordinary people. Girls. Older people, children, computer-game-haters, etc. And from this moment where you're in a couple of people, it's self-running. You all know table-soccer? those are filled the whole night in about every bar. Why? Because everyone tries to be better than the one before. Wii has the same addiction. Bowling, Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Boxing... They are all addicting.

I actually know someone that bought a jaguar, I think it was a jaguar = i remember it had a lot of buttons.

I bought a Jaguar. Early on no less. I remember I ordered it out of the back of VG&CE. 249 IIRC. It missed several promised ship dates so I kept calling the company, and talking to a man with a thick middle eastern accent, or was it New York accent, I cant even remember.

Actually, some Jag games like AVP (3D), were way above what SNES/Genny could do. Others, like TrevorMcFur, were completetly awful, not really like games at all. It was a sidescrolling shooter with STATIC backgrounds. The SNES definitly easily dusted Jag games like those in 2D graphics. Probably because the Jag games looked like someones garage project.

I lived in a small town, there were no Jag games to buy anywhere, but amazingly, one local very small video store had a gamer on staff, and unbeliavably, they actually put up several jag games for rent, in hicksville basically.

Total waste of money. Crazy thing is I probably still have that working Jaguar somewhere at my parents house. The only thing is the cable that hooked to the TV had started fritzing badly, but the actual console base unit worked fine several years later.

Other thing about the Jag was the horrible pimping of it by the awful Gamefan (who pimped every game and system, basically)..which included the famous line "Atari is back.. come pet the cat".

Cybermorph I recall as a competent game, but it was a terrible tease, as only a few parts showed the assumed graphics power of the system. I remember the input your initials screen was really cool, but the rest of the game was bleh graphically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back