MS upgrades warranty to 1 year for all Xbox 360's

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
ms1year15f7d52fp0.jpg

From Xboxyde's forum.

So it was 90 days, then all 360's from 2005 were given a 1 year warranty, now all 360's have a 1 year warranty and MS will pay any repair costs. On the one hand this is how it SHOULD have been to begin with... on the other hand they deserve some credit for correcting a poor warranty. If they had done this last year they would have avoided bad press and bad feelings.

Now, lets talk about that price drop on the console and on the perephrials...

UPDATE: Official link http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/1222-xbox360warrantyextended.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this is definately great news :D . And I agree that this policy should've been there since the very beginning.

Now I dont have to buy Besy Buy's 2 year warranty when I get a chance to purchase a 360 :LOL:

Hm, isnt it mandatory by law to have like 1 or 2 years warranty for all electronics? I think in europe it is a minimum 2 years warranty for all electronics. I am a bit shocked by this. So if you bought an xbox 360 and then after 4 months it became broken, you would have to buy a new one???

Hm, isnt it mandatory by law to have like 1 or 2 years warranty for all electronics? I think in europe it is a minimum 2 years warranty for all electronics. I am a bit shocked by this. So if you bought an xbox 360 and then after 4 months it became broken, you would have to buy a new one???

No it's mandatory to have a 90 day warranty on electronics in north america. Anything longer is not required.

Does anyone else feel that 1 year is very short for a warranty? Shouldn't we be getting at least 3 years for a product that has a life span of about 5 years?

Does anyone else feel that 1 year is very short for a warranty? Shouldn't we be getting at least 3 years for a product that has a life span of about 5 years?

1 year is standard on most devices (digital cameras, camcorders etc). How else are shops supposed to make money without try to push extended warranties on you when you buy something? :LOL:

I'm thinking you guys have some short-term memory loss. :D Before these latest consoles, the Xbox and PS2 both had 90-day warranties. Don't get me wrong, I love that they're adding a standard 1 year warranty, but it's not something that was common to begin with.

Tommy McClain

Going by that, I wished my TV's warranty was 10 years then because I'll prob own it for 20 ;)

good for you americans.. still far from the european 2years (yeah i had to rub that in again heh)

In Europe this isn't any news, since they have something like a 2 year minimum warranty required on all electronics. However here in the US, this is just amazing news.

This should literally pull every consumer off that ledge who was concerned about faulty units and/or a 90 day warranty. This is only going to drive sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. 90 das warranty for something as expensive as a nextgen games console is just disgraceful. Besides, regardless of how good the product is it speaks badly about the quality as well. If you only guarantee it for 90 days then at least I have the feeling it's built to break after 100. :cool:

Now, if MS decided to stop ripping off people wanting to buy their new vista OS also...

Peace.

official release

Newsflash:
Microsoft Extends
Xbox 360 Warranty to One Year

This holiday season, shoppers can buy with added confidence as Microsoft expands its warranty coverage of the Xbox 360â„¢ video game entertainment console from 90 days to one full year. Microsoft has announced that any Xbox 360 purchased in both the United States and Canada will include this added warranty coverage, and it even applies to those who have already purchased an Xbox 360 console and who are still within their first year of ownership!

Effective today (December 22), the one year warranty is now the standard for all Xbox 360 consoles. Customers that experience hardware issues with their Xbox 360 within one year of purchase will have their consoles repaired at no cost. Moreover, the new warranty policy is retroactive, so consumers that may have already paid for out-of-warranty Xbox 360 repair within one year of the console's purchase will be eligible for reimbursement of their console repair charges.

"Our number one priority for the Xbox 360 is customer satisfaction," said Jeff Bell, Corporate Vice President of Global Marketing for Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business. "Now, in addition to Xbox 360 offering features such as jaw-dropping high definition graphics, an amazing variety of more than 160 games, and social online and entertainment experiences found on Xbox Live®, this warranty upgrade is an exclamation at the end of an already compelling home entertainment offering."

Customers who have already paid for repairs within their first year of ownership can expect reimbursement checks for the amount of their console hardware repair in approximately 10 weeks. These will be automatically distributed, so customers do not need to proactively contact Microsoft. Customers who have any questions regarding this policy change or who have experienced any hardware issues should visit: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/contact/ or call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and speak to an agent.

This warranty extension only applies to the hardware and software of the actual Xbox 360 console itself. It does not apply to any Xbox 360 accessories, including any that may have been packaged with the console at the time of its original purpose. Xbox 360 accessories retain their original 90 day warranties. For full information on the Xbox 360 warranty, click here.

I'm thinking you guys have some short-term memory loss. :D Before these latest consoles, the Xbox and PS2 both had 90-day warranties. Don't get me wrong, I love that they're adding a standard 1 year warranty, but it's not something that was common to begin with.

Tommy McClain

I don't know about those 2, but I know the GCN had a 1 year warranty :smile: I would have been shocked to learn MS and Sony were not at least up to snuff with Nintendo.

pff, should've been one year to begin with. I'm still happy about this. I regretted not buying the MS warranty offer that came with my X360 but now I'm content with one year.

One of the things that was preventing me from buying a 360 was the failure rate that still seemed to be rather high, even on the 2006 units.

The last thing I want to do is spend $600 on electronics and have it brick after 6 months when my warranty is only for 3.

Extending the warranty to a year is certainly more palatable.

Back