Another 360 Ring of Death :(

jpr27

Regular
Well I just got home after a tough day at work and looking to take a little frustration out online and just my luck, after I switch on my Xbox 360, pop in Rainbow Six Vegas I download the patch and bang my system locks. The following reboot gives me the dreaded Red ring :( I then went through all the processes for testing, correcting, etc but no go. This will be the second time I am sending in the Xbox 360 back for repairs (or another refurb 360 :/) not to mention it is the second time my 360 has locked AFTER I did a patch for a particular game (Last time it was Rockstar Table Tennis). What timing, right before the holidays with two 3 day holiday weekends going back to back (Xmas and New Years both falling on Monday). I'm sure glad I got the warranty from MS after the issues with early models. Problem is I will likely receive ANOTHER refurbished unit (I did put a small note requesting a new one but doubt it will help) which I have no faith in now. This on top of the 10-15 day turn around time (after they receive the system) made me do something I loath doing which is buying another system even though I have a warranty through MS.

I just couldnt wait on the 10-15 day turnaround time (and I didnt want to miss out on the fresh newcomers over the holiday weekends :)) with Xbox 360's now readily available, I'm not going to miss these next few holiday weekends without a 360. So I broke down and bought a new 360 from Best Buy with an extended warranty. (No more refurbs and missed game time due to system repairs for me anymore). I'll use the refurb for my backup or maybe dedicated server or let friends use when they come to visit. I certainly learned my lesson I guess. I will be using Store warranty and replacements from now on.

Sorry for the rambling just a little irked :)

I’m not discrediting your post or anything…

But,

Why are so many people having problems with their Xbox 360?

I have never experience any of these problems with neither of my Xbox 360 or any other console for that fact.

Never had to replace any of these:
NES: No Problems…occasional crash…other than that…works great.
Sega Genesis = No Problem
Sega CD = No Problem
Turbo Duo = No Problem
Neo Geo (2) = No Problem
N64 = No Problem
Atari Jaguar = No Problem
Atari Jaguar CD = No Problem
3DO (2) = No Problem
PS1 = No Problem
PS2 = No Problem
Xbox 360 Premium (2) = No Problem
PS3 60GB (2) = No Problem

Things too keep your system in perfect physical & working condition (IMO):
1) Keep small kids away
2) Keep clumsy friends away
3) Dust your systems regularly
4) Do not leave console lying around on carpeted floors.
5) Use a good power conditioner
6) Keep systems in a well ventilated area.

Dude. Send your 360 back to MS to be repaired for free. Keep the one from Bestbuy. When the 360 from MS comes back in 14 days or so take the one you bought from Bestbuy back (you have a 30 day return policy). Problem solved ;)

Your lucky then, but just because you have not experience a problem does not mean others have not. Also, he's been sent refurbished units, which is a common occurrence for replacements. For example, BFG Tech send me three bad 6800s in a row, before that I thought people were screwing things up when they told me stories about that many units in a row being bad, but it happened to me.

Nerve,

I agree with your post. This is the first console I have ever owned that I have had to return for replacement or fixed. I have been playing games since the Atari 2600 days and must tell you I am stumped myself. I even have the Original Xbox with a thompson drive and it still works fine.

One thing I can tell you as it relates to me is that it seems although I get the ring of death (which is said to signal a hardware issue) my systems have gone down after applying a game patch every time. Not through normal gameplay or long sessions. I am very cautious about cleaning, proper ventilation etc. so I know that is not the issue. I've played marathon weekends with friends and no issues but it seems once a patch gets to me bam !

Patches seem to be kind of russian roulette and I dont know what it is whether software, or changes in materials or design in consoles over the systems life, just seems strange. They need a function that you can take out patches without having to format your hard drive.

I have heard Wii and PS3 have had patch or firmware update issues as well. Anyone confirm or deny this also has effected them too? I have yet to get either yet.

Dude. Send your 360 back to MS to be repaired for free. Keep the one from Bestbuy. When the 360 from MS comes back in 14 days or so take the one you bought from Bestbuy back (you have a 30 day return policy). Problem solved ;)

I had a friend try this once with a modem, back in the day. They checked the serial number ;)

My Xbox 360 died the other day, and with no warning signs. I've never had the unreadable disk errors or any crashes. I switch it on and poof, three red lights and a strange rattling sound like something's loose when I move it around.

The good: I got through to a nice Indian lady from MS customer support in less than 2 minutes, she e-mailed me a UPS return label less than an hour later. Now I've got to pack it safely in an unmarked box and arrange for a pickup.

It was a launch console though, manufacture date 2-11-2005; inevitable.

I have had a terrible time with the 360 and in the UK anyway the advice I would give you is DO NOT send the console back to MS. Take it back to the shop where you bought and they will in most instances exchange for a brand new one. My first console from launch had the ring of death, I had to send it with the HD (so I lost all my games saves) to be repaired. When the machine was returned in was a different one, it wasn't new it was obviously refurbished (probably doing a rolling repair so you don't have to wait) the new machine lasted 1 week then I had the ring of death again. Sent the machine off again (this time told to keep the HD) once again sent a different machine back again refurbed (the number on the console was so badly scratched I could register the thing). This machine lasted a bit long but then the DVD drive failed, it would not open, close or read any discs. This time I asked to speak to someone senior in CS. It took over 2 weeks for someone to phone me, this time I was promised a new machine. The console I received was a refurb again, this one is still working, just, it constantly give disks errors on all media DVD,CDS and games but I have had enough. I spoke to the manager in CS and demanded a new machine he stated they would look at the one I had and if they deemed it had a problem they would repair it. I just went nuts I told where they could stick they’re repairs. I demanded that they sent me a new console, a refund for LIVE which for a least 2 months I wasn't able to use as the console was constantly off for repair. He again only offered the repair service (funny thing is he said we will send you a box for you to pack your console off in, I told him I already had 3 of these boxes from the previous repairs so he need not bother, he actually chuckled on phone) and nothing else. I told he could stick it, I returned my console to GAME received a new one no problem (the shop was great about it). So MS CS UK if your rereading this you have my knackered console back now I have a new one and you had to re-supply GAME with one new console for free.

Back