Wii games recommendation

I'm totally lost on how to apply spin in wii tennis. Any help? Maybe there are some videos around showing how to swing? I try to hit as I would with a tennis racket, sliding it in to get up spin or swqinging the special kind of curve to make forwards spin... to no effect. I'm trying various ways to make side spin but to no effect. I have seen my girlfriend ONCE making a very impressive side spin shot but that was by accident and we couldn't reproduce it.

So how?

Oh and I haven't really figured out the spin in wii bowling either. I seem to get spin to the left if I aim right from center and spin to the right if I aim left from center. Isn't similar swinging throw supposed to result the ball to spin to the same direction no matter where I stand or aim before the throw?

It's very unintuitive to me.... but still great fun. Now if I only understood the logic.

I'm totally lost on how to apply spin in wii tennis. Any help? Maybe there are some videos around showing how to swing? I try to hit as I would with a tennis racket, sliding it in to get up spin or swqinging the special kind of curve to make forwards spin... to no effect. I'm trying various ways to make side spin but to no effect. I have seen my girlfriend ONCE making a very impressive side spin shot but that was by accident and we couldn't reproduce it.

So how?

For spin, you twist your wrist either clockwise or counterclockwise during the swing. It's a little different from real tennis. So, to get top spin in real tennis = you change your grip on the racket to give yourself an angle and swing. In Wii Tennis = you keep the same grip and twist your wrist during the motion of the swing.

Same goes for bowling, during the motion of bowling = twist your wrist clockwise or counterclockwise. Just over exaggerate to get crazy spin, something that would probably break your wrist in real bowling. The other trick with bowling is letting go of the ball late = strait ball (even if you try to put spin on the ball). Letting go of the ball early and twisting your wrist = great spin.

Tennis is fantastic. As others have pointed out, trying to beat opponents with ratings of 1500+ with just timing skills, doesn't work. This game has a good amount of depth to it. I don't have a problem directing my shots at all. Depending on how you swing: You can control speed of the ball, direction of the ball (left - right, front - back) and you can control spin. Not sure what else you want.

It could be better, but it is just a demo, a demo that i find myself playing just as much as Zelda.

So does any one like Golf? I enjoy this one just as much as Tennis and can't wait for a dedicated golf game like Tiger Woods or something.

How about VC games?

Personally I would recommend Gunstar Heros....
I got Gunstar Heroes after Metal Slug Anthology, and now it's hard for me to load up Gunstar. To me, the Metal Slug series represents the pinnacle of 2D sidescrolling shooters, and while Gunstar may have been the best in its day, it's since been eclipsed. On the GBA, though, that's a different story...

If you haven't played it in a while, get Mario 64. Super Castlevania 4 will probably be more enjoyable to me now with the Wii's savestate feature. Street Fighter 2 is amusing for a while, but I found myself craving a more updated version (I really hope Super SF2 gets released in the not too distant future). Bomberman '93 is loads of fun in multiplayer, with support for up to 5 players (though you'll need at least one GC controller in the mix).

It's hard for me to recommend anything else at the moment. Mean Bean Machine is the only Genesis release I've so far gotten any enjoyment out of. I don't feel Super Mario Bros. is worth paying so much for in its old age. I'm tempted to get R-type, but I'm kinda waiting to see if any better shooters are on the horizon. EU has Donkey Kong Country, which I'd recommend, but it hasn't been released on my side of the pond so far.

Shot speed is important, and twisting the bat is important. It's mostly in the wrist, not in the swing. To be honest, table tennis is actually probably better practice for Wii Tennis than real tennis, since table tennis teaches you how those wrist flicks are used to impart spin on the ball, whereas tennis is about using the arm and keeping the wrist more stable.

Take a slice (back spin) shot: basically you swing the bat forwards, and rotate the wrist from vertical to horizontal (palm of hand facing upwards) over the course of the swing. Now most slices are being used for a fast shot low over the net, so you are combining the flick of the wrist with a firm forward motion. But you don't need that wild a swing, and the key is the flick of the wrist.

And yes, I am able to play Wii tennis well enough. Beating 1500-2000 ranked AI isn't that hard, really, as long as you are good at both aggressive back court shots and good at timing smashes from the front player.

Having just played another 6 hours of Wii Sports with friends, the fact they're entertaining games isn't in dispute, but likewise they're not as intuitive as they could really do with being. Talk of timing be critical in where a tennis shot goes is pretty much nonsense IMO. If I hold the racket so the face is pointing 45 degrees to the right, when the ball hits the face, it'll bounce to the right. And if I turn the racket to the left, the ball would go left. This doesn't happen in Wii Tennis and though it's fun to have a rally, it would be better if you had better control over placement of shots through the natural way of play....

if you swing the racket while the ball is in front of you, it will pull the ball towards your off hand. If you swing at the ball as it is passing you it will go the other way. You can actually place shots fairly well, though I haven't played the tennis too much.

Well, at the weekend I got my Nintendo Wii.. but I’m not allowed it until Christmas :( lol. Anyways, what games can anyone recommend for it? So far, all I’ve got is Super Monkey Ball.

The best games I've heard about from my friends and reviews are Rayman, Zelda, Excite Truck, Wii Play, Elebits, and Trauma Center. You've already got Wii Sports and Super Monkey Ball, but they had high points on those games too. Dunno if you agree though. :)

The Proper Wii games are just not there yet. Not what I've played. Try to playe Elebits after coming off some Lost Planet... it ain't happenin.

The VC is a different story. If you are the type of gamer who has no trouble going back in the graphics department, the following games hold up the best:

Sonic: Alot of people holding out for the sequals. No use in my oppinion. Sonic one is the most elemental of the series. It's missing some of the flash from Sonic 2, but the level desine is tighter. Especially in the first half of the game. Another thing folks overlook in Sonic is that it's pure Naka in structure and offers severl transparent "modes" of play. If you last played it as a child, you may want to try it again.

Bomberman: Frozen in time, this game is always a riot. As long as you ever have three or four friends who want to kill some time, this will be there for you. Seriosuly, even two hours of the multiplayer is well worth 6 bucks. They money will not buy more entertainment for 4 people. Unless you're in Mexico.

Super Mario Bros/ Legend of Zelda: These game hold up, but are especially worthy if you have a seriosu interest in game design. By carefully taking in the lessons rolled into these games you can really savor them in a way that was impossible as a child.

Super Mario 64: Same as above for would be game designers. Otherwise, this game has been copied so many times, and coppied so closely, that It can seem overly familiar.

R-Type: Super R-Type is still the definitive home game, but this TG16 version actually handles significantly better....

Military Madness: I still haven't played it, but have no qualms reccomending it as I've heard nothign but good.

Castlevania 4: As long as you don't expect the post-SOTN exploratory gameplay, this game will please. It's an early SNES game so performance is a little iffy but it's simply sweet to see and hear. This was approaching the upper echelon of side scrollers.

Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: Don't be so quick to write it off. This is actually the game Puyo-Puyo. One of the best tetris-alikes ever made. You may also know it as Kirby's avalanche. 2 player mode is especially nice.

My girlfriend dumped me: No shit. Just called out of the blue and said it's over. It's okay tho, because I have a PS3.

Gunstar Heroes: This deserves all the praise it gets, but you may not be hooked right away. Key to appreciation is the fine control response.

F-Zero: Simplistic but the style holds up very well (better than Mario Kart by a sight) and the difficulty curve is masterfull.

Sim City: It's a shame they didn't adapt it for pointer support. After fond memories of later Sim Cities, this one is pretty darn unsophisticated and dull. They core game is the same, and extremly well executed in this SNES version, but there's just not enough to do. I recommend it because it's makes a sweet interactive screen saver.

Alien Crush: Just get it. The more it sells, the more likely we are to get the superior Devil's Crush- Altho this game is no slouch! I have put more time into this than any other VC game. You probably already know whether or not you are into video pinball. If you don't, then this is a perfect way to find out.

if you swing the racket while the ball is in front of you, it will pull the ball towards your off hand. If you swing at the ball as it is passing you it will go the other way. You can actually place shots fairly well, though I haven't played the tennis too much.
Yes, you can place shots, but not using obvious, intuitive methods. In real life if you face a racket to the right, and swing right, the ball hit will go right. One of the key-elements to Wii is that you shouldn't need to learn any skills to play games. The skills needed are motor skills you've developed as a toddler and refined over your entire life. Sure you have to practice to get good, but the game mechanics should be transparent if you want everyone to be able to play the game without worrying about how they are to play it. What's been lacking so far in my experience is that 'it works like real life' interface. There's motion control, but it's motion control you have to learn still.

Military Madness: I still haven't played it, but have no qualms reccomending it as I've heard nothign but good.
It's a little tough if you've played Advance Wars ...
The design is solid, but there are accessibility issues and technically it's not quite up there either. I.e. it starts scrolling for a while at predefined cursor positions, and during that scrolling the music breaks up. Not good.
It's also not so nice that you can't see how far a unit can move (or attack) without actually selecting it, but that won't work either for enemy units, or for units that already have moved in the turn. The movement rate ("shift") can be displayed, but I find it too hard to memorize all the terrain effects on movement.

They've done a lot of things right with the game but I wouldn't really recommend this game to someone who could spend the time and money to play Advance Wars.
F-Zero: Simplistic but the style holds up very well (better than Mario Kart by a sight) and the difficulty curve is masterfull.
I have to disagree on the "holding up". F-Zero GX so utterly blows this away in all respects. Playing F-Zero without analog controls just doesn't make any sense to me anymore. But you don't even have to know GX. Once the release F-Zero X (N64) for the VC noone's going to care about the SNES F-Zero ever again -- which probably explains why they released F-Zero first.

And now I just want to have my Wii points dammit!

That's your opinion. It may not be the opinion of other Wii gamers or the OP.

I'd like to state for the record that unless otherwise specified, things I say are "my opinion". Sorry, I took for granted that it was implied!

That said, other than the suprising success of Wii sports the obvious goodness of Zelda, there's not much out there for the Wii. Especially if you want something to sink your teeth into. It's made for the non-gamer and boy does it show. The highest quality origional games for it are Rayman Rabbids and Warioware. Both minigame collections. Ughh....

I'd like to state for the record that unless otherwise specified, things I say are "my opinion". Sorry, I took for granted that it was implied!
That's absolutely true and I took that as read, but it is a convention to tag 'IMO's here and there just to remind people ;)

That's absolutely true and I took that as read, but it is a convention to tag 'IMO's here and there just to remind people ;)

Have you noticed that I leave out the smilies even in cases of severe sarcasm? I've hurt some feelings along the way but it's that much funnier for those that can read between the lines. They're the ones who deserve to laugh at the expense of others!

I can't do too many emoticons, lol's, imho's or the like. It's just not my style.

=) =D =p <<< Except these ones. I :love: these ones.

My point being that the comment about those games not being deep, or allowing you to sink your teeth into them isn't really true. For you, maybe. But that's a personal judgment of those games. Others have differing opinions. You also state that those games are made for the non-gamer, and boy does it show. Again, that's a rather hard and binding statement to make for something that should merely be opinion.

It's all about the language :p

Honestly, no harm no foul. Just making an observation.

I can't do too many emoticons, lol's, imho's or the like. It's just not my style.
I never used to use them (including back in the days of text based entry before emoticons!) but I've taken to using them because it's a requirement of the language. Forum chatter is written in the vernacular but without much of the needed elements of communication. The result is misunderstandings and people getting their toes trodden on. Some people may be happy to 'be themselves' and not worry about fitting in with social mores, and I counted myself amongst them, but to be frank that's actually just rude. As an exmaple, if you come from a society that insults each other for humour, and then move to a society that's very respectful, you can't carry on with your old ways as you'll just offend them, and it's arrogant to expect everyone to adapt to your culture rather than you adapt to theirs. So either you do change, or you carry on regardless upsetting people and cultivating negative relationships.

The society of internet chatter is one of emoticons, and if you want to be a part of that, you should use the local customs, or at least be sure to express yourself in a way that circumvents the need for emoticons. The whole point in writing is to communicate. If your not communicating effectively, such as using sarcasm that's lost on people, you're talking to no-one but yourself. Or being elitest, writing without regard for those not as clever/quick/awake etc. as you.

For the record, I have seen posts from you that left me thinking you something of a chump on some matters. If they were sarcasm, a smiley would have made that point. Otherwise, without knowing you personally, I don't know whether the points made were sincere or for fun, and I don't know whether to think of you as 'chump' or 'smartass'! ;)

Consider me well advised, sir! Thank you.

Edit: On the sarcastic comments I'm sorry to say that they are just everywhere up and down my posts. And I'm aware that many of them probably amuse noone but myself. For what it's worth, I'm like that in person. Thanks again for the constructive advice.

My point being that the comment about those games not being deep, or allowing you to sink your teeth into them isn't really true. For you, maybe. But that's a personal judgment of those games. Others have differing opinions. You also state that those games are made for the non-gamer, and boy does it show. Again, that's a rather hard and binding statement to make for something that should merely be opinion.

It's all about the language :p

Honestly, no harm no foul. Just making an observation.

It's fair to say my ideas came across a little pushy. They are pushy. They're strong opinions, but they're certainly not facts. I can only speak form my point of veiw, after all.

And if you have any suggestions for substantial Wii games, please let me know because I am dyin here!

It's fair to say my ideas came across a little pushy. They are pushy. They're strong opinions, but they're certainly not facts. I can only speak form my point of veiw, after all.

And if you have any suggestions for substantial Wii games, please let me know because I am dyin here!

If you are not in EU, then Trauma Center is a serious contender. The gameplay is very good, and it is a very "meaty" game with a high level of challenge. I don't have the Wii version yet, but I played the DS version a lot.

Back