Wii games recommendation

Kaylzy99

Banned
Well, at the weekend I got my Nintendo Wii.. but I’m not allowed it until Christmas :( lol. Anyways, what games can anyone recommend for it? So far, all I’ve got is Super Monkey Ball.

Zelda, seconded. It's absolutely awesome. I'm now in the last castle, making myself ready for the final fight. But I haven't seen all of it yet, by far.. It's beautiful, amazing, worth buying the actual console.. :D So yes, you should get it, as you have the console yet :D

Zelda is a given.

If you are in Europe, Wii Play is surprisingly fun, and costs only 10€ more than the extra Wiimote it comes with, so it's a good opportunity. If you are in the US, Trauma Center and Elebits are apparently good games that use the Wiimote well. And I heard Excite Trucks is pretty good. Also, Rayman Raving Rabbids is pretty fun if you are into Wario Ware-like mini-games.

I bought Red Steel and find it a decent title, but can't recommend it wholehearteadly though. You would have to try it.

Are the Wii games region locked?

Yes, they are. VC titles as well. The GCN titles work with Freeloader on Wii, as far as I've heard, though.

Anyway, if you like American football you might wanna give Madden a try, it got pretty good reviews so far.

The GCN titles work with Freeloader on Wii, as far as I've heard, though.

No such luck for European Wiis, sadly. My US GC titles don't work on my European Wii (Freeloader disc is not recognised by the Wii). I'm pondering rebuying some of those GC titles in bargain bins.

No such luck for European Wiis, sadly. My US GC titles don't work on my European Wii (Freeloader disc is not recognised by the Wii). I'm pondering rebuying some of those GC titles in bargain bins.
Why not just play them on your GC?

Put in another vote for Rayman. I have Zelda, Monkey Ball, Rayman, and of course Wii sports. Rayman is without a doubt my favorite game so far. Monkey ball was a bit disappointing to be honest. I've heard good things about Elebits though.

Is there any cohesion to the gameplay of Rayman? Am I wrong in having the impression it's mostyl just a bunch of minigames lumped together, or are there also actual levels where you run/jump through to get to the end?

Peace.

Is there any cohesion to the gameplay of Rayman? Am I wrong in having the impression it's mostyl just a bunch of minigames lumped together, or are there also actual levels where you run/jump through to get to the end?

Peace.

There's no actual platforming in it. It's all minigames for the most part. There are some "main" minigames, though. For example, the (awesome!) shooting stages where you go through a stage shooting plungers at rabbids. Also, you play the music game at regular intervals.

Peace.
As Rayman, you are kidnapped and imprisoned by these raving rabbits. Everyday, you go to the stadium and have to pass at least 3 out of 4 test (mini-games) to get the the "main" mini-game. When you pass that, you get a plunger. So you keep collecting plungers for plunging into the wall as a makeshift ladder, to escape out a very high window. That's the story.

Anyway, the mini-games are a lot of fun... some are easy, and some are very hard.

Are there any Wii games that actually use the controller as it was promoted, a device capable of sensing accurate motion and projecting your motions into the game? Every Wii game I've tried except for that truck driving game and Red Steel, uses the controller movement as nothing more then a substitute for a button press, pure gesture recognition (and that's being generous). And Red Steel's "control" of the gun leaves much to be desired, meanwhile, the sword fighting is *nothing* like what I'd expect from such a controller. Has no one played real sword-fighting sims in arcades where it precisely tracks every movement and you feel as if your arm is extended inside the game?

Even tennis, where I'd expect control better than Top Spin or Rock Star Pong, so that I can precisely put spin on the ball based on my swing, feels like nothing more than a cheap mapping between gyro motion and button presses in a traditional game.

In short, I haven't see any Wii games that show the "true promise" of the controller, as opposed to an device that converts crude gestures into canned animations. I mean, if I am holding a gun or sword, why can it react to every single yaw, pitch, and roll, every motion through space? Why the need to playback canned motions?

Are there any Wii games that actually use the controller as it was promoted, a device capable of sensing accurate motion and projecting your motions into the game? Every Wii game I've tried except for that truck driving game and Red Steel, uses the controller movement as nothing more then a substitute for a button press, pure gesture recognition (and that's being generous).
That's got to count for something, right?
DemoCoder said:
And Red Steel's "control" of the gun leaves much to be desired, meanwhile, the sword fighting is *nothing* like what I'd expect from such a controller. Has no one played real sword-fighting sims in arcades where it precisely tracks every movement and you feel as if your arm is extended inside the game?
I haven't played those arcade games you mentioned. However I can understand why the game is so reduced. They work a lot with patterns and with forcing the player into block => counter-attack sequences, and for that gameplay style the player must also be following clear patterns of motions. If the motion was freeform, we'd be back at the drawing board, that just wasn't their plan for gameplay. If the sword motion was freeform only in visuals but the underlying logic was based on gestures, it would be very confusing. As it is now, it's not confusing, it's a fun mini-game with moderate depth, it's "only" too hard. The combo system is difficult as hell.
Red Steel's Katana handling feels rushed, yes, not dysfunctional but rushed. While you have a good point criticizing that, you're ignoring the other bits of control that Red Steel pulls off well. I found shooting control to be excellent. Care to elaborate on why it "leaves much to be desired"?
DemoCoder said:
Even tennis, where I'd expect control better than Top Spin or Rock Star Pong, so that I can precisely put spin on the ball based on my swing, feels like nothing more than a cheap mapping between gyro motion and button presses in a traditional game.
You can spin the ball and you have lots of influence over force. Try the TV advert clown thing, stand up and swing a forehand with all your might. It really does something. Far beyond a button press.
DemoCoder said:
In short, I haven't see any Wii games that show the "true promise" of the controller, as opposed to an device that converts crude gestures into canned animations. I mean, if I am holding a gun or sword, why can it react to every single yaw, pitch, and roll, every motion through space? Why the need to playback canned motions?
a)You're overlooking some mappings that are there to arrive at that conclusion.
b)These aren't VR sims, but games. When something obvious for the controller to support isn't implemented, please entertain the thought that it is most likely a compromise to make a better game. Because the sensors can quite completely capture motion. It's not a hardware limitation.

To me, gesture recognition doesn't make a better game, it's a gimmick. "Hiking" a football, or motioning with my arm to throw instead of pressing a button doesn't change gameplay.

What changes gameplay is superior control, freedom, and immersion. When Revolution was announced, we read all kinds of hype filled articles where people talked about how FPS's would be radically better (Red Steel has worse feeling controls than analog sticks IMHO), or how the sword fighting felt so real. These forums were flooded by all kinds of speculative talk about what kinds of amazing stuff the controller would enable, and IMHO, the launch titles fall far short. The one major title that shows promise, ExciteTruck, doesn't really work any better than some of the SIXAXIS race demos, and is hardly a replacement for a real steering wheel.

I'm sorry, but the WiiMote still feels "gimmicky" like the EyeToy.

To me, gesture recognition doesn't make a better game, it's a gimmick. "Hiking" a football, or motioning with my arm to throw instead of pressing a button doesn't change gameplay.

What changes gameplay is superior control, freedom, and immersion. When Revolution was announced, we read all kinds of hype filled articles where people talked about how FPS's would be radically better (Red Steel has worse feeling controls than analog sticks IMHO), or how the sword fighting felt so real. These forums were flooded by all kinds of speculative talk about what kinds of amazing stuff the controller would enable, and IMHO, the launch titles fall far short. The one major title that shows promise, ExciteTruck, doesn't really work any better than some of the SIXAXIS race demos, and is hardly a replacement for a real steering wheel.

I much prefer using the Remote in Red Steel than using analog sticks in other console shooters. I'd probably be more motivated to finish playing Gears solo if I could do so with my Wii Remote. But it does take some time to adjust to the controls and learn how to play a shooter with the Remote, but then it also took time to learn how to play with an analog stick and with a mouse. I feel that Red Steel is only fun because of the Remote. On any other system, it would be regarded as shovelware and wouldn't be worth talking about.

And while the tilt function wouldn't be able to replace a proper steering wheel, it's still a lot more immersive and realistic-feeling than using analog sticks. The fact that the Remote (or Remote+Nunchuk combo) offers up so many different methods for controlling games should be commended. Like the DS, it's pointless to shoot down a feature because you don't like how it's used in a game, when it can be used to better effect in other games by more competent developers. It's a good thing to have that versatililty and range of functionality. So what if most games don't use the DS's mic, if even a few manage to use it well.

And I find it laughable that some people complain about how a Wii Sports game doesn't play close enough to the real thing and write off the system because of that. Wii Sports is a pack-in that's meant to be an introduction to the controller and a proof of concept. Those kids and grannies that are having a blast with Wii Sports would be turned off if it had been made into a sim as complex and demanding as traditional console games. And there's nothing in the licensing that restricts 3rd parties from making full-fledge sports sims.

You're still making it sound as if all Wii games present and future just recognize gestures to transform into digital triggers, and that's simply not true. Force does count, direction does count, even twists along your path of motion count.

Yes you can make "little" forceful motions but if you do that it gets harder to be precise with direction and twist. It can balance itself out in a way that encourages "realistic" motions as the path of least resistance, and IMO, AFAICS, Wii Sports is doing it well. I have no idea how Madden plays because, frankly, nobody cares about American football over here and I'm not an exception, but I have read that, there too, you actually have more influence over the throw than you would with a button press.
DemoCoder said:

I think you're personally disappointed, which isn't something I can (nor want to) talk you out of, but you overcompensate into not seeing the good things that really are there.

You're still making it sound as if all Wii games present...just recognize gestures to transform into digital triggers, and that's simply not true. Force does count, direction does count, even twists along your path of motion count.
In the case of Wii Sports, that's not at all apparent. If I smash down right with my arm, and the ball is hit to the left, it's no different to a button press. Similarly if I punch high and the glove punches low. Similarly twists of the Wiimote when bowling didn't add spin in a realistic way beyond what I feel could be managed with a tap of an L1/R1 spin button.

Future games may (hopefully!) improve upon this, but for present titles I side with Demo that the Wii control, from what I see and hear of it, is more or less guesture recognition replacing button presses. With some obvious exceptions of course!

In the case of Wii Sports, that's not at all apparent. If I smash down right with my arm, and the ball is hit to the left, it's no different to a button press. Similarly if I punch high and the glove punches low. Similarly twists of the Wiimote when bowling didn't add spin in a realistic way beyond what I feel could be managed with a tap of an L1/R1 spin button.

Future games may (hopefully!) improve upon this, but for present titles I side with Demo that the Wii control, from what I see and hear of it, is more or less guesture recognition replacing button presses. With some obvious exceptions of course!

I think you are misunderstanding the control mechanics they put into Wii Sports....

Tennis is built around purely timing shots, there is no directionality implemented. The earlier or later you time your shot determines where it goes. This is actually something I've seen before, implemented in a virtual tennis game on the PC over 10 years ago. And it is very playable and very satisfying to get into the rhythm of the game and send thundering slices off at extreme angles purely due to really good timing.
Similarly spin: Both tennis and bowling have well implemented spin. The slower the ball is moving, the more effect spin has. If you thunder a bowl it'll go nearly straight on no matter how much spin you are attempting to impart. Same applies to a tennis shot. Try attempting a really gentle drop shot in the tennis, and putting some cross-wise spin on it: The ball will not only curve in the air, it'll leap off the ground in a very visible (and actually nicely realistic) spin effect.
Boxing is something I still haven't figured out, and I accept that movement towards the screen feels less precise than twists or movement in the plane of the screen, but I'm not writing it off yet: I expect to find more nuance in it when I actually put some time into it (currently enjoying the tennis in the time I have to play).

Back