The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spectator Mode

If you’re not quite up to racing on one particular day, or if you just want to watch how someone really good drives, the "Spectator" mode is very useful. You can watch other users driving LIVE, as if you were watching their replay. This is another way to enjoy Gran Turismo, that’s a bit different than before.

I like this feature a lot. Do any other racing games currently offer spectator mode for online races?

Cheers

There are 200 “premium” cars which “take the final count past the 1000 mark”.

So this is why GT5 has been delayed so long. PD and Sony were plotting how to divide the game into 'on-disc' content and 'pay extra on release day' "premium" content.

How much would it cost me to get the full GT5 experience if I cared to support the terrible abuse of microtransactions? $200? $300? $1000?

How long does it take to model a premium car ?

Do you really want the full GT5 experience ? I think some gamers want to race in their own cars, which is understandable; collecting all the cars in premium quality would be rather hardcore. Many of them are average class sedans right ?

So this is why GT5 has been delayed so long. PD and Sony were plotting how to divide the game into 'on-disc' content and 'pay extra on release day' "premium" content.

How much would it cost me to get the full GT5 experience if I cared to support the terrible abuse of microtransactions? $200? $300? $1000?

Have you even read any of this thread? At all? All of this is included on the disc, and none of it is done through microtransactions. Seriously...

And why are you getting tire-squeal when on the dirt bank at the side of the road?

I am not sure. The squeal may come from another demo station on the show floor. If you look at the standard cars trailer below, the cars didn't make any squealing sound on gravel.

Here we go:

Premium Cars

Standard Cars

Both of those videos have been previously posted, but watching them back-to-back provides a nice comparison.

Have you even read any of this thread? At all? All of this is included on the disc, and none of it is done through microtransactions. Seriously...

No, I haven't read the relevant portions of this 165 page thread regarding that. If the premium cars aren't required to be purchased as dlc, then I was wrong. The prospect of seeing a huge list of cars as dlc priced at $rip.off apiece when I finally fire up GT5 startled me badly enough that I felt the need to post about it.

It´s becoming clear that the high amount of time PD employed in its game is paying dividends. Obviously the tracks show tricks, and some shortcomings can be found here and there, but the overall quality is simply erasing each and every doubt that I could have.

The main question now seems to be how many cars will have interiors modelled. Well, I suspect that the issue of downloadable content is around us...but at the same time we have the evidence of Prologue, that showed some "cheap" cars with beatifully rendered cockpits... My bet is that the users of Prologue will import the interiors of these cars for free (that´s almost a given, if the data is compatible why not allow that?), and beyond that who knows...

In any case, the modelling of 1.000 cars seems too demanding even for Polyphony. No offense, but I found car´s interiors in Forza 3 less detailed (at least, in-game) than Prologue´s. The effort is there, of course, but I imagine that artist working with 3D editors spent more time per car in PD that in Turn10, and that´s money. At the same time, I don´t know if some form of prebacked lighting is patched into GT5 cockpits. If that´s the case, more time/money has to be taken into account. The tweaking of that has the smell of napalm burning in the brain of the artist at dawn, you know.

I live in Madrid and frankly the videos and images of the circuit seems so accurate that I have to admit that GT is definitely a day one... It´s not the raw effort, nor the resolution, nor the numbers... is the apparently insane care of PD that has sold the game to me. Ok, they have the time, the founds that others haven´t, but.... the results are simply awesome, at least from what we can see now.

It´s like I HAVE TO support that effort. It´s so unusual to choose care over profitability that I feel guilty if I don´t buy the damn game. If GT5 is not a critical success Yamauchi may be in a trouble, but... I subjectivly agree with his approach to gaming.

I live in Madrid and frankly the videos and images of the circuit seems so accurate that I have to admit that GT is definitely a day one... It´s not the raw effort, nor the resolution, nor the numbers... is the apparently insane care of PD that has sold the game to me. Ok, they have the time, the founds that others haven´t, but.... the results are simply awesome, at least from what we can see now.

You're the second person who tells me this. A GAF poster in Rome made the same comment about the Rome track. ^_^

You're the second person who tells me this. A GAF poster in Rome made the same comment about the Rome track. ^_^

Believe me, it´s just absurd how REAL (accurate) seems to be the track. OK, some flat corners, "photoshopped buildings" and so on if you look at the end of that intersection, but I use to go with my camera around during some evenings (I like photography) and man, they have it right.

If the goal is to make you really feel that you´re racing in the streets that looked at you during the last twenty attrocious traffic jams definitely my revenge is on its way... I´ve been looking at the Metropolis building for hours along all those years... just eating smoke of tired cars... la Gran Via and the Castellana crossroad could put you near Michael Douglas performing Day of Fury ;-). Beautiful place in any case... better by foot in a pleasant evening.

Yes, the screens are great.

It's been a few years since I last went to the Nurburgring and drove their myself, but I still distinctly remembered how much more impressive the tracks many strong elevation changes look in real-life versus on screen, thanks to real life being in perfect 3D and on screen being a rather flat affair in comparison.

Today I've been there again with my father for his 60th birthday, and we did four laps total, and again this difference stood out in a major way. It really is the biggest component yet missing from the simulation (it's interesting to note that I made my father practice the Ring on both GT4 and Forza 3 first)
, with the only remaining thing being the two or three sections of the track where you go from diving down quickly into a steep climb and you feel like you're being crushed into the ground and unable to breathe because of the G-forces! And we drove a 59HP Fiat Panda from 2005 (weighs 835kg, plus of course the 160kg that we weigh between us), imagine what that's like in a fast car. ;)

But it only really comes into play in a few places, and it will be a difficult thing to simulate aff mordably. Other than that though - fantastic experience. And I'm now starting to get really excited about getting to play GT5 in 3D in the not-too-distant future!

I hope you also got him to ride shotgun with him on one of the track drivers? In the bmw m5?(the car might have changed). Costed like €70, and you had to book in advance or get lucky.

PD doesnt seem to care much about the WRC mode. Is it just the cars and drivers that they are taking from the WRC license?

PD doesnt seem to care much about the WRC mode. Is it just the cars and drivers that they are taking from the WRC license?

The optomist in me is thinking PD are talking NASCAR at E3 and will hopefully annonce the WRC features at the european event in Germany.

Ack! I mean, it's very nice and all, but why are they adding lens flare when it's supposed to be a driver's view?! Eye candy gone mad.

I wonder how dynamic that lighting system is, does the sun move in the sky, do the shadows lengthen and shorten and change their orientation, or are they simply changing the brightness of a fixed light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back