The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/user/FRONTmedienTV#p/u/3/q3kV1YJtLoA
http://www.youtube.com/user/FRONTmedienTV#p/u/2/VFkfq8eXtpM
http://www.youtube.com/user/FRONTmedienTV#p/u/1/g7qMABV9S1Y

These are the source of the vids, i would of linked to GT Planet but it won`t load on my browser. There are some pics showing pretty amazing differences between this latest build and previous build footage also!

I agree it looks fantastic. It is interesting how by far the most of the trees are still two textures stuck together at opposite angles, but now they are being lit dynamically (sort of like Ico) and it makes a world of difference. And of course the overall detail is much improved everywhere. Great stuff.

I like this full lap in-car view best.

I agree it looks fantastic. It is interesting how by far the most of the trees are still two textures stuck together at opposite angles, but now they are being lit dynamically (sort of like Ico) and it makes a world of difference. And of course the overall detail is much improved everywhere. Great stuff.

I like this full lap in-car view best.

The shadows from the trees on the dashboard looked really low res. Would they be able to make it look better in the future?

Looking good.

I always wanted PD to do a driving test app in GT5 since it has household cars.

In US, we take these tests (online or offline) to remove our traffic violation records. They are usually done in Flash + video, and very dry. Would be cool to do it in GT5 (20 bucks for each test).

EDIT: Those shadows have been there for a long time now.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/a...n_turismo_5_tested_out_at_the_nrburgring.html

Drive your car on track, then race yourself afterwards. That’s the promise of a future upgrade on selected Lexus and Toyota models, which will let you download your track day action and replay it on the forthcoming version of legendary race game Gran Turismo.

The cars use GPS satellite tracking to trace your route, and everything from lateral and vertical g-forces to engine revs, and even each wheel’s individual speed, is logged by the on-board computer.

The real-life hot laps can then be uploaded via a USB memory stick on to a PlayStation, allowing the driver to race their ‘ghost’, attempt to beat the lap time and work out how to improve their performance on track next time.

I'm not so sure how well that would work. People drive a lot better in video games than in reality.

It'd be interesting though to see the replay through the cockpit view.

I'm not so sure how well that would work. People drive a lot better in video games than in reality.

It'd be interesting though to see the replay through the cockpit view.
If the physics are accurate, it'll help drivers see that they are holding themselves back and if they were fearless, they could go faster. Which will probably lead to more horrific accidents too, but it will lead to faster lap-times... :p

Night racing round Nurburg Nord is in!!! A secret demo was shown at the recent (still ongoing?) motor show. 24hr race confirmed!

I totally forgot about it.

The AutoExpress article's headline highlights the Nürburgring track (the 24 hour circuit), but I'm no racer and only focus on the game's features :p

Ive just read theyre adding 3d to GT5!!!
I cant believe it, are they trying not to release this game at all? Terrible terrible decision, Its obvious this console cycle is gonna drag out 2or3 more years, they should of released it 6months ago + then with GT6 added 3d or whatever, if they stick everything and the kitchen sink into GT5 it means unlikely theres gonna be a GT6 this generation. Bad management decisions

Well, hopefully it was in the works for some time and that the original delay (in Japan) was due to the implementation of 3D so there won't be any further delay. I'm still fairly confident that it will be released this year. I think Sony and PD HAVE to release it this year. Fans are obviously getting very impatient. We used to get two GT's per generation, now it seems were only getting one. With that said, this seems to be the most complete GT to date and is really the only one we'll need this generation. Listening to Kazanouri's comments, it seems like that's what they're going for in GT5. It was nice to see the progression of GT from GTHD until now. GTHD impressed, but they have come a long way since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the bottleneck should be destruction since they need to rig so many models specially for damage ?

They seem to put a lot of effort into large scale races (keep mentioning the complex racing rules), and online too.

3D and head tracking sound less involving than the above. I think they may have to spice up the tracks more for stereoscopic 3D presentation.

3D and head tracking sound less involving than the above. I think they may have to spice up the tracks more for stereoscopic 3D presentation.

It's been a few years since I last went to the Nurburgring and drove their myself, but I still distinctly remembered how much more impressive the tracks many strong elevation changes look in real-life versus on screen, thanks to real life being in perfect 3D and on screen being a rather flat affair in comparison.

Today I've been there again with my father for his 60th birthday, and we did four laps total, and again this difference stood out in a major way. It really is the biggest component yet missing from the simulation (it's interesting to note that I made my father practice the Ring on both GT4 and Forza 3 first)
, with the only remaining thing being the two or three sections of the track where you go from diving down quickly into a steep climb and you feel like you're being crushed into the ground and unable to breathe because of the G-forces! And we drove a 59HP Fiat Panda from 2005 (weighs 835kg, plus of course the 160kg that we weigh between us), imagine what that's like in a fast car. ;)

But it only really comes into play in a few places, and it will be a difficult thing to simulate affordably. Other than that though - fantastic experience. And I'm now starting to get really excited about getting to play GT5 in 3D in the not-too-distant future!

Ive just read theyre adding 3d to GT5!!!
I cant believe it, are they trying not to release this game at all? Terrible terrible decision, Its obvious this console cycle is gonna drag out 2or3 more years, they should of released it 6months ago + then with GT6 added 3d or whatever, if they stick everything and the kitchen sink into GT5 it means unlikely theres gonna be a GT6 this generation. Bad management decisions

I'm almost sure that GT6 will be PS4 game.

Personally, I hope there will never be a GT6, but that GT will become a 'service' instead, so that whatever they finish they can release very soon after. The releases now simply take too long, and I can't believe this is very efficient, even if it is understandable that they are going to add 3D to it ... I remember that the first time I truly wanted a widescreen TV was when I saw screenshots of GT3 running in widescreen mode, and I set myself a target price that once I could get a 100hz widescreen tv of 82cm for that price, I'd get it to play GT3 on it. And I think particularly in the first year I played hundreds of ours of GT3 on that TV, probably more than I watched TV.

http://picasaweb.google.de/Arwin.van.Arum/Nurburgring?feat=directlink

I thought the bottleneck should be destruction since they need to rig so many models specially for damage ?

They seem to put a lot of effort into large scale races (keep mentioning the complex racing rules), and online too.

According to here:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39126/Gran-Turismo-5-supports-Move-3D

3D and Move integration caused the recent delay. :p

Have you not seen stereoscopic 3D? Everything looks like it's a billboard. It is basically taking a bunch of pieces of an image (which are all 2D) and then giving them "depth" but essentially it's still 2D images on different "planes" so to speak. I don't think it'll really matter at all.

It's two 2D views of the same 3D scene from different positions. Which is exactly how eyes work in real life... ;)

I'm wondering about calibration, as to get the perfect effect you need to specify an eye separation (distance between the two cameras) and focal range (distance at which the two camera views cross), and the ideal can be different for different people. In NASCAR Racing 2003 in 3D it took a few minutes to dial in the perfect settings, but once I had the results were amazing.

I think the closer you are to something the more true 3D the effect will be, for instance the planet in stardust is supposed to look great. The further in the distance something is the less information you get from looking at it from each angle and so your eyes rely more and more on visual cues like how an object is lit instead. If things in S3D are not lit properly the futher away they are the more they will look like cardboard cutouts rather than solid 3d objects. The good news is that current 3d games use lighting, shadows etc as there only tools to create a 3D effect and thus have got quite good at it, so it shouldnt be an issue. If an object looks 3D in 2D it should still look 3D in 3D, and the closer it is the more benefit it will recieve from the added information from S3D too look even better.

Exactly. A huge amount of how we perceive depth in real life is through visual clues such as highlights, shadows, parallax. Games have been relying solely on these tricks to make 3D scenes look 3D on a 2D monitor for decades, and we can judge depth on a 2D screen pretty well already using only these clues.

That's not true for billboard or simple-mesh trees. GT has always got away with simple tree models, but they will look like pieces of flat card stuck together in 3D, if the 3D is at all effective. Like a wardboard cutout of a person. Viewed from a distance it'll look convincing, but up close you know it's flat. Anywhere this gen that flat sprites have been used, such as crowds, will break in 3D if the player can get close enough.

I think it'll be less of an issue in 3D. There's one really obvious (jarring, even) appearance of a 2D tree in the centre of the first tight hairpin on the Indy road course:

Which they even use to get a camera effect looking through the 2D branches:

However, the "2D-ness" of this tree would be reduced in 3D because you would be focusing through the tree rather than relying solely on motion blur to "hide" it.

Looking at a flat object (or in this case, two intersecting flat objects) in 3D is no different to e.g. looking at a road sign as you approach and pass it. I think "billboard" is the wrong word to use as a billboard in 3D graphics is a special case which always directly faces the camera, and is distracting even in 2D. I can't think of a recent game using billboards for scenery, they're only really used nowadays for directionless effects where it doesn't matter, like smoke, or elements which should always be square on to the screen by design, like overlays. If you have something which should vary its appearance depending on the angle you look at it, then billboards break down really quickly (see how ents like dead bodies, candelabras and health kits always face the camera and 'spin' as the camera turns here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-lQZzevwA#t=1m7s)

It's actually something of a problem. How do you get convincing 3D trees when they are such costly geometry to do right? I wonder is some sort of randomised displacement in the depth with maybe a second layer of billboard will work?

You can create layers at the expense of an alpha hit, or model them at the expense of a geometry hit. I think for a certain kind of tree, the blurrier you can make them the better, because it hides unnatural polygon edges and also, how can I put this, doesn't give you enough information to see how bad they look! I'm firmly of the opinion that you should do the minimum that works for your game. If you're making a game set in a forest, well, good luck with that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back