The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge difference. Everything has been improved it seems, from the road textures, the grass and the scenery in the distance. Even the lighting looks better.

I'm actually quite surprised. I wasn't expecting much of change, if any at all, for the final game.

Thanks for posting that.

edit: This is going off memory though. I haven't played the time trial for around 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge difference. Everything has been improved it seems, from the road textures, the grass and the scenery in the distance. Even the lighting looks better.

I'm actually quite surprised. I wasn't expecting much of change, if any at all, for the final game.

Thanks for posting that.

edit: This is going off memory though. I haven't played the time trial for around 2 months.

But aint that a different track?

Here are from the finals and same track as Academy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpUoo-9ddKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4Vp2yMEYE

Admittedly there's a big difference in the size/orientation of the track map, but it looks like the same corner to my eyes.

edit. Unless you mean a different track to the academy demo, in which case yeah it is, but it's labelled as GTP vs current build so ... seems like a valid comparison.

Here are from the finals and same track as Academy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpUoo-9ddKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4Vp2yMEYE
It is. I'm basing my comparison from GT5P and the fact that the academy looked more similar to GT5P than it did to that. Considering even the lighting and asphalt textures look different, I'm thinking they'll improve all of the tracks to look more like this new video. The game is still months away.

I think it's safe to say they will harmonize the differences, bringing the old track up to par with the new ones. Otherwise, it would look jarring to the users.

Admittedly there's a big difference in the size/orientation of the track map, but it looks like the same corner to my eyes.

edit. Unless you mean a different track to the academy demo, in which case yeah it is, but it's labelled as GTP vs current build so ... seems like a valid comparison.

Oh I was reffering to the posts edit line which I responded to. Yes between both there is a change in ground texture which looks better with the dirt stenches to highlight grass. Added skidmark detail to road texture and what looks like increased objects/detail at distance and different sun location as fences are not in shadows. Though the newer versions over-exposure/saturation due to photocamera makes it look worse than is. They should take it in such way to not have over-exposure/saturation.

I'd have thought driving a best-case example of 3D's worth, as grey walls contrasting with grey tarmac can make for hard to see corners, whcih depth would solve. though regards the dimmness and difficulty, I was like that with Avatar, and I think I'll prefer the 2D version on a bright TV.

It sounds like it wasn't configured correctly, as I can't imagine anyone not being blown away if it was, especially in a racing game. I used to play Nascar Racing 2003 in 'old school' 3D (glasses with shutters which alternate left and right eye, in sync with the game rendering left and right eye angles on alternate frames), and despite the issues with that approach - much dimmer display and migraine-inducing low refresh rates - the effect was mindblowing and much better for racing with depth perception. You had to tune the effect to your personal eye separation and focal point manually though, I'd expect the same will be true of polarised 3D for the effect to be truly impressive.

For me they would be another potential braking point. "oh i broke here last time, i`ll try my luck and brake a bit later"....etc etc

...only if you lock up :smile:

Factor in Retail cut, distribution (pressing, packaging, shipping), localization, marketing, server networks, and developer funding beyond the launch PD / Sony will need a lot more than 1M copies sold to cover $60M development

Retail cut is obviously an external factor but a total development budget should already include pressing, packaging, shipping, localisation, marketing, server networks, just as it includes infrastructure (from buildings, utilities, development hardware, software, licences and support), licensing costs for the game, budgets for appearing at trade shows, I could go on. That's the total cost surrounding creating the game, getting it out there and getting people to buy it.

Retail cut is obviously an external factor but a total development budget should already include pressing, packaging, shipping, localisation, marketing, server networks, just as it includes infrastructure (from buildings, utilities, development hardware, software, licences and support), licensing costs for the game, budgets for appearing at trade shows, I could go on. That's the total cost surrounding creating the game, getting it out there and getting people to buy it.

Development costs "thus far" don't include the cost to market the game--and rarely when mentioning "development costs" is marketing figured in. And for big titles marketing can often dwarf development costs. Likewise future looking network costs for dedicated servers aren't usually snowballed in forward looking.

The worrying thing about that video is how easy the back end comes around on the long left hander. If a very good player using a wheel lost it there, shows somethings wrong with the physics.

You can watch real cars take that corner on track days and in races without the back end comming round on partial throttle, so why does GT have the really loose rear end. It was the same in GT4 and GT5:p also exibits this 'issue'. It makes the game virtually undrivable on many tracks from a controller with the pro physcis, and it's not something which happens in real cars. Yes you get lift off oversteer but it is way to severe in GT, even biting when you go from full throttle to partial throttle. :(

:???: Real cars don't use a controller. How does GT5 handle with a wheel?

Watch the video, the guy (last years winner of the GT Accadamy?) looses it with a wheel, I use the DFP and had the same problems with GT4, especially on the 'ring. GT5:p has the same over exagerated 'lift off oversteer'. You can catch it ok sometimes with the wheel early so it doesn't cost you much time, but with the controller you can spend much of the time in corners sideways. I also use the DFP on PC sims (such as rFactor) and I've tracked my own car so I know this is not how normal cars handle.

The worrying thing about that video is how easy the back end comes around on the long left hander. If a very good player using a wheel lost it there, shows somethings wrong with the physics.

You can watch real cars take that corner on track days and in races without the back end comming round on partial throttle, so why does GT have the really loose rear end. It was the same in GT4 and GT5:p also exibits this 'issue'. It makes the game virtually undrivable on many tracks from a controller with the pro physcis, and it's not something which happens in real cars. Yes you get lift off oversteer but it is way to severe in GT, even biting when you go from full throttle to partial throttle. :(
Wouldn't someone on a game tend to push a vehicle harder than in real life, since there are no real consequences? It just seems like a very logical reason.

Wouldn't someone on a game tend to push a vehicle harder than in real life, since there are no real consequences? It just seems like a very logical reason.

Have you played the game? Just that even 'taking it easy' on GT4 on the ring, the back comes round way to easy when reducing throttle. Try driving the Mk1 MR2 and it's almost comical.

Compared with rFactor, GTLegends or GP Legends or any other PC Sim which are regarded as being as accurate or more accurate sims than GT5:p, you just don't have any of these problems. Admitidly most of these games feature racing cars as opposed to road cars, but GT has problems with both.

Also keep in mind that the DFP/DFGT wheels have very touchy gas pedals.... they don't provide the resistance a real gas pedal would. I know because I own a DFGT as well. Ordonez was also using a DFGT in that video. I find that when you want to give it 1/3 or less throttle, sometimes you're actually giving it half or more. This is probably because the weight of your foot alone is enough to push the pedal down all the way. If you're sliding, even just slightly, and you give it 2/3 or more throttle, you're probably gonna start to spin with such power behind the wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also keep in mind that the DFP/DFGT wheels have very touchy gas pedals.... they don't provide the resistance a real gas pedal would. I know because I own a DFGT as well. Ordonez was also using a DFGT in that video. I find that when you want to give it 1/3 or less throttle, sometimes you're actually giving it half or more. This is probably because the weight of your foot alone is enough to push the pedal down all the way. If you're sliding, even just slightly, and you give it 2/3 or more throttle, you're probably gonna start to spin with such power behind the wheel.

Yeah I agree with that, but I don't have this problem in other sims and it's when you lift off the throttle the back end goes light. I'll have to check the video again to see Ordonez looses it off the throttle or when getting back on it.

Yeah I agree with that, but I don't have this problem in other sims and it's when you lift off the throttle the back end goes light. I'll have to check the video again to see Ordonez looses it off the throttle or when getting back on it.

Like what other sims are you comparing it to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back