The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone played the game recently?
The game just downloaded an expansion pack and gave me a whole new intro when I fired it up.
A driver in a black suit drives a slick, black car around an underground parking garage, parks, then the screen and all of the options gently fade in.
Man, is it ever stylish!
Anyone else gotten this intro?

Also, I am hearing music tracks I certainly havnt heard before, and I've been playing the game since April.
New songs in the update as well, I suppose.

The music tracks were from an update earlier this month(August 1 iirc)

As for the expansion: yeah it prompted this morning when I fired Prologue up. Seeing as i've been playing the game on a daily basis lately, I can definitely confirm that the small "update" is new.

I have the opening sequence off (gtfo weezer) so I havent seen what it looks like. Though the last update did change the intro to something that fits your description, except it had the Jaguar parked close to the last vehicle you used. Last time I turned on the intro, it reverted to the weezer one again so I dont know wtf happened there :???:

Top Gear S6 Episode 5 1/2: 438MB 23 min 26 sec
Top Gear S6 Episode 5 2/2: 480MB 24 min 07 sec

And it does look bad, lots of compression artifacts, edge enhancement etc etc.

That's absolutely shocking. At SD resolutions, the PS3's h.264 decoder can handle the full range of extensions - an x264 encode using the HQ-Insane profile plays back perfectly. 800MB for 50 minutes of content should look absolutely pristine - I backup my Doctor Who episodes into h.264 at 650MB and they're virtually identical to my original DVDs.

As a matter of fact, they're up there already! If you boot up the game now you'll get an update tweaking a host of things and adding three cars, being:

Lotus Evora
Ferrari California
Citroen GT

EDIT: got the update and had money to spare for the California, so I tried that. First of all the update is a fairly sizeable one again. Then when you start the game, it auto-downloads some additional updates (presumably music and maybe another 'photo-mode' area). Then the cars are presented by some trucks unloading the new cars ... once you start the game that actually stays behind the menu and your current car is put into that environment, quite funny. My settings were all reset. I did a lap using N3 tires, pro mode, no assists, and I have to say, it's a nice car, but more interestingly, it seems that the physics have received another upgrade, particularly in the tires department, perhaps also suspension, not sure. Car seems to behave more realistically particularly when you lose grip.

As a matter of fact, they're up there already! If you boot up the game now you'll get an update tweaking a host of things and adding three cars, being:

Lotus Evora
Ferrari California
Citroen GT

EDIT: got the update and had money to spare for the California, so I tried that. First of all the update is a fairly sizeable one again. Then when you start the game, it auto-downloads some additional updates (presumably music and maybe another 'photo-mode' area). Then the cars are presented by some trucks unloading the new cars ... once you start the game that actually stays behind the menu and your current car is put into that environment, quite funny. My settings were all reset. I did a lap using N3 tires, pro mode, no assists, and I have to say, it's a nice car, but more interestingly, it seems that the physics have received another upgrade, particularly in the tires department, perhaps also suspension, not sure. Car seems to behave more realistically particularly when you lose grip.

Still haven't been able to update my Japan version. I believe the update would now be around 2GB's...oh well. No chance with GT's shocking method for downloading.

The updates aren't incremental, they're all inclusive. You'll get the same update everyone else gets. Also, one of the updates introduced a resume download option for when something goes wrong. I think you should give it a shot.

Instead of wasting their time designing a car for a game and making a model of it they should make a roadgoing version of their Xsara/C4 rally car.

I know I'd buy one.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=257041

When asked where GT PSP has got to, Yoshida said, "Good question! It's in Polyphony Digital, they're working on it."

The reason for the delay, according to Yoshida, is that Polyphony have been busy with other projects. "They have been working on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and Gran Turismo 5 for PS3, so they've had to focus on finishing up Gran Turismo on the PS3 side," he explained. "That's been making the PSP development a little bit slow."

I was browsing an MSNBC article on the Top 5 PS2 games and they had a picture of GT. Which is a good reminder that PD are the kings of art, especially lighting. The visual impact of their PS2 games resonates with my eyes better than most next gen racers.

081016_Top5_Ps2_GT4.hmedium.jpg

Well that, and GT4 had an awesome photomode ... ;) But yeah, the lighting and detail on the cars especially is awesome. The combination makes the cars look real, at least if you don't look too closely. It really is an awesome game and I played it to death on the PS3, particularly for online competitions and LAN parties, but also with casual friends and first-timers who generally got along quite well with the wheel controls, especially once the Driving Force Pro came to the table - it's 900 degree support in GT4 really clicked with non-gamers.

I was browsing an MSNBC article on the Top 5 PS2 games and they had a picture of GT. Which is a good reminder that PD are the kings of art, especially lighting. The visual impact of their PS2 games resonates with my eyes better than most next gen racers.

Haven't you seen the PS3 version ?

I am not a racer guy. Bought GT5P purely for the visuals and GTTV. The latter disappointed but the former stunned me and my guests.

I was browsing an MSNBC article on the Top 5 PS2 games and they had a picture of GT. Which is a good reminder that PD are the kings of art, especially lighting.

081016_Top5_Ps2_GT4.hmedium.jpg

Polyphony Digital are in my book are the most talented people in the world when it comes to creating realistic graphics.

GT3 and GT4 were true masterpieces. I pretty much learned how to drive by playing GT4.

The visual impact of their PS2 games resonates with my eyes better than most next gen racers.

I agree!

This is mostly if not all down to lighting (and i think we should give kudos to the car models aswell), its near spot on. The results one can get in photomode are spectacular.

Considering what hardware it runs on, GT4 should be on some sort of hall of fame of graphics. While Forza 2 had more polygons more advanced shaders and what not, the illusion of realistic graphics are made or broken by the lighting model. Sadly Turn 10 themselves said they where not aiming for a realistic lighting model and it shows.

GT:p is imo miles ahead of the competition on many graphical fronts aswell, i cannont wait to see what GT5 will bring. Still think the physics has a lot of flaws, just like GT4 i believe the traction is way off in a lot of situations. (Try drifting with a Miata(mx5) in real life vs drifting a miata in GT4. The amount of grip the Miata has in GT4 is unbelievable) It has gotten better in GT:p but i dont think they are quite there yet.

It underestimates tourque i think. Or something, im no physics-expert, but from my experience with high powered RWD cars compared to GT4 and GT:p, cars have to much grip. I have often experienced high powered cars on very good tyres struggeling with traction when flooring it at high speeds (60-80mph), this is not an issue in GT it seems. Maybe it overestimates downforce on alot of cars?

Forza 2 is far from perfect either, but they do have the same (or similar) traction problems that i would experience in real life aswell.

Last edited by a moderator:
especially once the Driving Force Pro came to the table - it's 900 degree support in GT4 really clicked with non-gamers.

Maybe a preference thing, and I know it may be realistic in some cars, but I know that even on the 360's 270 degree turn radius that games that require that much turning are very annoying to me. Whereas FM2 requires mostly very fine movements, PGR4 does a lot of lock-to-lock which has a lot of negatives, especially when you are fishtailing all over the place (which PGR4 does a lot).

Haven't you seen the PS3 version ?

Yeah, I have. The only reason I brought up the PS2 version was that PD, even on inferior hardware, has a real knack for capturing the essense of an image. Technology is no replacement for skill! As we continue to move forward art becomes more and more important; I think even this generation a number of technically lacking titles on the rendering side look great due to art, and vice versa some technically sound titles don't look so hot. The PD guys always appear to have both in spades!

That's not what I'm saying though ... a lot of race cars will have their wheels tuned to 180 degrees or less. The point is that a lot of people drive cars with 2 - 2.5 turns (720-900 degrees) and GT with the DF Pro sets the steering range on the scale to match the original car's. So when someone drives a normal car in GT, it feels just right. And that's very necessary, because you still miss a lot of other cues (like the sense of speed you get from being thrown around in a real car, true 3d vision, etc.). It's not perfect, but that 900 degree mode is usually just enough to help people deal with all the other deficiencies the game has versus reality. Of course when you drive a race track at high speed, even in a car with a steering wheel that can turn 900 degrees, you'll hardly ever use more than 180 anyway, but the feeling is still very right and you notice it particularly in 'normal' cars.

@Ostepop: did you notice that with the spec III update, they changed the driving model a fair bit yet again? They seem not to have been fully satisfied themselves either ... :D I'm curious to know what you think. It feels as if the tire simulation, grip in particular, has been improved even further, and I think also the suspension a little ... (sorry, the PS3's browser wouldn't let me put these two in one post ... One of the last things on my list that I'd want to have improved in it! (the other is in-textbox edit for 720p mode, not just 1080, because I generally don't use that)

@Ostepop: did you notice that with the spec III update, they changed the driving model a fair bit yet again? They seem not to have been fully satisfied themselves either ... :D I'm curious to know what you think. It feels as if the tire simulation, grip in particular, has been improved even further, and I think also the suspension a little ... (sorry, the PS3's browser wouldn't let me put these two in one post ... One of the last things on my list that I'd want to have improved in it! (the other is in-textbox edit for 720p mode, not just 1080, because I generally don't use that)

I have only had time for a quick lap in a Ferrari California so far, dont really have time to play lately. Il post some comments when i get some more laps under my belt :)

Does some of you know, if the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Intro is rendered realtime? If not, how is it stored?

Good question,the intro seems like a slightly juiced up version of a replay cinematic with carefully selected shots and higher grade filters. (I'm hoping we can get GT5's 30 fps image quality at 60/1080 with the next generation of hardware.)
Recently,I watched it yet again after having spent a multiple hours with Wipeout HD (and subsequently getting more sensitive to framerate drops) and while the intro played, I started seeing framerate stutters that I hadnt noticed before. The one major framerate stutter I noticed was the section of the intro when the red car goes through the Eiger Nordwand tunnel. Has anyone elsed noticed that?

I dont know if its recorded in-engine or scripted in realtime, but wouldnt something recorded in-engine run at a near perfectly smooth framerate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back