The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
GT4 was a demo of a game that was remarkably similar to its predecessor GT3.

GT5 is the first true HD next-gen GT game, and just as GT3 upped the graphical bar from GT2, GT5 has upped it again that there's a lot of interest. It makes sense to me that GT fans wanting that new super-duper experience will pay a reduced price for a reduced game. Rather than looking at preorders as being an expected 10% of final sales, look at preorders as what are GT fans willing to pay for a highly desired GT fix.

Not to mention that Prologue contains the first online support in the history of the franchise.

I do wonder though about the EU price versus the US price. In terms of currency it's understandable, but if you take it from the perspective of a full priced game, the EU price is under half a full game, but the US price is 2/3rds of a full game. I personally would have kept the ratio between Prologue and a full game identical.

I think Prologue should generally do really well - while it doesn't offer the depth of the general releases of the franchise, it offers enough (certainly much, much more than GT4 Prologue) to make it a must have title for nearly everyone, versus the more directly invested crowd that would otherwise buy the game. I think sales will surprise a lot of people.

Answering my own question above:

33p39tw.jpg

Hands on review of GT5P (PAL region):
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103447

I have not been following this game that much, but I was wondering if PD has made any changes to the way the cars handle. I know Gran Turismo is trying to be a simulation while at the same time trying to remain accessible to the general gamer, but I found GT4 to be somewhat stale in comparison to Forza Motorsport. I guess the comparison is similar to CoD 4, and Halo 3, in which the latter has a far superior feature set, and a more polished presentation (GT), but something about the core game mechanics makes the former game (Forza) more appealing.

I wish I could be more clear on what I am trying to describe, and in no way is this a dig on Gran Turismo, it's just something that I was thinking about recently.

The game features two modes of driving physics. A normal mode, which is similar to what was used previously, and a Simulation mode, that takes the physics up a notch and makes it much trickier to pull fast laptimes like on the normal setting.

The game features two modes of driving physics. A normal mode, which is similar to what was used previously, and a Simulation mode, that takes the physics up a notch and makes it much trickier to pull fast laptimes like on the normal setting.

I wish they would have made some more changes to the way the cars handle, but I guess in PD's mind they have one of the best racing games out their, and changing it too much would take away from what makes it Gran Turismo.

I really like the visual presentation, everything from the menus to the small details on the cars puts this game in a league of its own as far as racing games are concerned. I have a DFP racing wheel that I have been neglecting for a while, and I have been considering purchasing a PS3 over the last couple of weeks so I guess I might as well buy one and get this game.

I wish they would have made some more changes to the way the cars handle, but I guess in PD's mind they have one of the best racing games out their, and changing it too much would take away from what makes it Gran Turismo.
Don't get the wrong idea.. the Simulation handling is quite a bit different from before. I've played the Prologue demo that I downloaded from the Japanese store, and I can't drive it to save my skin. On a good day, I might be able to hold position (it starts you in eighth, out of sixteen). Most of the time, I'm toward the back. Using "normal" physics, I can push fairly close to the front of the pack, especially if I drive more aggressively. Corners in particular have to be taken much more carefully in Simulation mode than they do in Normal mode, the cars are much more likely to break loose and send you off into the dirt.

I guess the best thing to do is to try it, if you can. Unfortunately, I don't think the demo is up any more, even if you had a PS3 to play it on. Worst case, even if you don't like it, you still have the regular GT-handling alongside the prettiest graphics in a racing game ever. :)

I really like the visual presentation, everything from the menus to the small details on the cars puts this game in a league of its own as far as racing games are concerned. I have a DFP racing wheel that I have been neglecting for a while, and I have been considering purchasing a PS3 over the last couple of weeks so I guess I might as well buy one and get this game.

Professional mode with the right tires will show you that the game has changed considerably in terms of handling. Almost all my problems with GT4 (e.g. too much grip in corners, impossible to properly drift cars like a Mazda MX-5/Miata, Evo, etc.) have disappeared completely. The only thing that's still not 100% the way I would like it is the ability to have cars really lock up their brakes and leave a stretch of rubber on the track. However, that seems to be more a visual issue now, because the braking distances and the handling while braking too hard seems to be the way it should be, and in replays, you do see that the tires lock up (looking at the spokes, they'll be standing still) - you just don't get the smoke and rubber yet.

The Professional mode seems to have some pretty advanced tuning options already, and when you use them the basic ABS / TCS options disappear, so it will be interesting to see how far that takes the simulation.

In general though, GT5 Prologue's Professional mode has some of the most convincing driving models I've ever driven (and I've driven nearly everything). My personal favorite is driving a F430 on N3 tires on Suzuka. It's incredibly difficult to drive a competitive lap in that combination - extremely easy to brake too late or lose the rear end - and it's really just a fantastic experience, especially with the in-car view.

I'm personally wondering if I'll buy the PSN version this time just so that I don't have to put in the disc whenever I play it. Maybe I'll even buy both versions. :p

Elsewhere it is noted that the PSN version is currently an 1.8GB,

Hmmm, I think that makes it the largest download to date? I don't explicitly remember anyone from SCE stating there's a hard cap on download size. I wonder if there is one, or if there's a "soft" cap (e.g. recommended)? Not that it really matters, I'm just curious.

I'm personally wondering if I'll buy the PSN version this time just so that I don't have to put in the disc whenever I play it. Maybe I'll even buy both versions. :p

When I got a spare moment and feel like a quick fix, then it is so much nicer with just playing something that does not need me to go to the PS3 and pop in a disc.

I am quite sure that Warhawk would have gotten less playtime if I had bought the disc instead of the PSN version.

So I will get the disc version of GT5P :D

I am also wondering about getting a wheel to play with....

Hmmm, I think that makes it the largest download to date? I don't explicitly remember anyone from SCE stating there's a hard cap on download size. I wonder if there is one, or if there's a "soft" cap (e.g. recommended)? Not that it really matters, I'm just curious.
No caps. It's open for the devs. Of course devs would be daft to exceed certain sizes. My mate's PS3 with next to nothing on it has used 30 GBs already!

oh I love psn downloaded games. Nothing beats just selecting your game and play it :D (like warhawk, love to play it from time to time).. but then again, when you get bored , you cannot sell the game off

No caps. It's open for the devs. Of course devs would be daft to exceed certain sizes. My mate's PS3 with next to nothing on it has used 30 GBs already!

Impressive. A 60GB does in fact have 57GB free when you get it, so he did really fill up 27GB with 'next-to-nothing' then. ;) Demos are the biggest space eaters. Whereas 1.8GB is big for a full game, the Ratchet & Clank demo is 1.6GB already. Before that, the biggest was 1.3GB. Crazy stuff.

Impressive. A 60GB does in fact have 57GB free when you get it, so he did really fill up 27GB with 'next-to-nothing' then. ;) Demos are the biggest space eaters. Whereas 1.8GB is big for a full game, the Ratchet & Clank demo is 1.6GB already. Before that, the biggest was 1.3GB. Crazy stuff.
He replaced the drive with a 250 GB (40 GB model BTW). He had a couple of movies on, about 5 download titles including Lemmings and Blast Factor, and the Stardust demos, no audio etc. We looked around for space gobbling but could only account for, I dunno, 10 GBs? If that? Which makes me a bit worried. My 40GB has just arrived, and if I put Linux on that's 30 GB left. 3 games and I'm full! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back