The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if 3d tree's would be a usefull thing to spend power on. You'd have to use atleast one poly for every leaf and given how much leafs your average tree has you'll easily spend atleast one car on tree's alone. A bit of a waste if you ask me since you probably be focused on the cars/track most of the time to even really notice the tree's. I suppose the way they normally do tree's with a few big textures for leafs on several branches will be enough. The 2d tree's indeed are a bit rubbish but probably more than enough to just fill up the scene and have the better looking tree's infront of them.
at this point im more inclined to beleive the 2d trees are placeholders, they could well taken down a few cars off the track and using maybe 60,0000polys on the trees. in the end i wouldnt care so much as long as they dont reduce the quality of the car itself.

Personally, I would rather have 2d trees and some more weather effects and other stuff to make the trackside a bit more interesting/inspiring... If I hadn't read it here, I probably wouldn't even have noticed that the trees are 2d - of course, now that I know, I actually look out for them, but seriously, most of the time you're racing anyway...

I wouldn't mind 2D trees, if they're done right. I think they're at the point where they can do away with the "generic" tree and actually create specific sprites for specific portions of the track. The reason being that they can render the sprites (during production) with scene lighting in place. A simple "2D" tree made of a few flat planes and textures could look amazing if they appeared to be lit properly.

Hi. Happy Holidays, Gentlemen.

In case anyone still feels like chatting about this. =)

I was having this conversation with at least two of you guys... but This line from Ostepop is a perfect jumping-off point for discussion.

Um... Isn't it like this:

Powerslide is simply getting the tail of a car out while being on throttle.

Now... there's are couple common misconceptions that are rolled into this apparently simple statement:

-What is Getting the tail of the car out? ie; The "tail of a car coming out" is a condition that is a result of well-documented elements of chassis dynamics. There are proper names for these elements and "Powerslide" is not one of them.

"Getting the tail of a car out" refers to oversteer. Oversteer is a condition where a cars rate of yaw is high compared to it's actual trajectory. Forget for a second that you consider "oversteering" to be a car with it's back wheels sliding. Understand that the term "Oversteer" describes a phenomenon that is not part and parcel with Traction.

Tire traction (and by association: Wheelspin, breaking loose,etc) often seems to go hand in hand in hand with oversteer because all suspension actions go hand in hand...

...It's just that they have alot of hands and alot of ways to go.

Again:

Powerslide is simply getting the tail of a car out while being on throttle.

I can decribe a few different scenarios where I have oversteer, while being on throttle. I can describe these scenarios and their causes with accurracy using proper terminology. ie:

CarGuy A: "The new wider tires are loading something up back there. I don't know what's deflecting, but something's not lining up and if im on throttle in a fast steady turn it feels like I'm just riding the outside rear and it just starts walking around on me. If I keep rolling on the throttle, the angle builds..."

CarGuy B: "...can you hold it like that?"

CarGuy A: "No, as soon as I drop any throttle or even go neutral on throttle the rear kind of grabs and the car pushes..."

CarGuy B: "What about if you give it some stick instead of just rolling on?"

CarGuy A: "I've tried that twice and the the first time it was mid-corner and the car just whipped around and went off on the dirt shoulder. Lucky it was a dirt runn-off. I did go straight into a family of four having a poorly-located picnic. But they were sitting on a blanket, not at a table, so my car was okay.

CarGuy B: "Oh wow, you are lucky."

CarGuy A: "Yeah. The other time I just stuck the throttle it was more like on entry and it just wont turn in."

CarGuy?: "o hai. I can powerslide my Supra."

CarGuy B: "O rly?"

CarGuy?: "Yeah, but it's like 800hp, so it's not that hard."

CarGuy A: "How's that thing on gas?"

CarForumGuy: "Oh. I have an 800hp Supra in Forza."

CarGuy A: "Oh. Right. So you has a drift?"

CarForumGuy: "Yeah. My drifts are in a XBox. Let me show you them."

So above you see described two situations where the car gets it's tail outwhile on the throttle. The two situations are show different behavior because they are caused by different mechanical conditions, but the root of the problem is major suspension deflection. Either way, you can see that these two situations both meet Ostepop's definition of a powerslide, but are clearly not what he meant to convey when he says powerslide.

Hopefully this gives you a better picture of where I'm coming from when I say that I feel like I'm missing too much crucial information to even form a response when I hear "videogame terms" like"powerslide."

I mean, I don't expect everyone to know this stuff. If someone asks me if I can powerslide their 86 Yota pickup I'll know what they mean by it and I'll use appropriate terminology such as "Hell yeah, I'm ready to fu*k. Hop in, I'll get this trap all shitty."

Last edited by a moderator:
I spun my Mazda3 about a month ago, does that count? Almost saved it, but not quite, got away from me a bit.

I don't really care one way or another about the terminology. I tend to just go off of what I think the two terms mean. To me, a powerslide is intentionally kicking the ass-end out in order to send the car through a corner at an angle. Ideally, so that the car is pointing in the proper direction when it leaves the corner, and simply accelerates in a straight line down the next part of the track. A "drift" is a showboating maneuver done for looks more than anything else, in which the car is kept sideways for a significant length of time, often through several corners in a row, without ever truly gripping the pavement. Oversteer is when the ass-end slips out from you, but does so unintentionally, and your first priority is to correct it and not to "go with it" as is done with a drift or powerslide.

Whether or not those definitions are accurate, I don't really care. :)

Whether or not those definitions are accurate, I don't really care. :)

You don't care if what you think you know is right or wrong? As a consequence, you spin Mazda3's. I've driven a Mazda3. You must have gone into a turn a little fast and got scared, then got off the throttle and dabbed the brake hoping that something would happen. That will spin that car. Not much else will. Unless you were on gravel or ice.

I "know that" because I do really care if my definitions are accurate. It's part of my strategy for "knowing things". :smile:

And 200000 pixels for cars :)

I don't take seriously this preview.
Better wait for more from trusting source.

Haha, pixels and it is not a typo if one reads the following phrase!

The game will run in full 1080p at 60 fps, an impressive feat considering how few titles can make this claim.

Heh if he only knew! ;)

Ill wait for review of gt5 prologue.

16 cars, each made of 200k pixels. Whoa! Thats 3.2milion pixels, PS3 really has a True HD capabillities :)

You don't care if what you think you know is right or wrong? As a consequence, you spin Mazda3's. I've driven a Mazda3. You must have gone into a turn a little fast and got scared, then got off the throttle and dabbed the brake hoping that something would happen. That will spin that car. Not much else will. Unless you were on gravel or ice.

I "know that" because I do really care if my definitions are accurate. It's part of my strategy for "knowing things". :smile:

Actually, I was hard-braking into a sharp turn when it happened. At about the mid-point, the rear end suddenly broke loose, and I did my damndest to counter it, but since I was still hard on the brakes, it didn't do much. Came to rest in the exact opposite direction than I started out in. Actually, I'm not sure if the car actually stopped.. I dropped it into first and finished my turn, and I remember having to force the stick into first, which only happens when the car is moving, never when it's still.

Given the sudden nature of the spin and the fact that there were no tire marks on the ground, I assume there was something in that section of the road. Sand or whatever. I walked over there a little later (it was only a half a block from my house) to try to determine what happened, what made it slip out like that. Couldn't see a thing, not even tire marks. I've taken many corners quite fast (faster than that one, even), and never had it break loose that suddenly. I know quite well how the car handles, and despite the fact that I generally corner far faster than I should, I know I'm not actually pushing the car to it's limit, because there have been one or two situations where I've had to turn a lot harder than what I usually take, and the car still hung on. I'd say my "average" high-speed turn is maybe 60-70% of what the car is capable of. Most of the time I don't even squeal the tires.

Should be interesting to see what happens when I get a RWD car. :)

Arrrgh!!

Just 1 more day! I can't freaking wait! Might have to take a day off tomorrow.

I still have to decide between the PSN version and the disc version...

Disc version
++Can lend or swap with friends
+Can sell it at future date
+The case does look cool
+Can play with any PSN account on any PS3
-Have to insert disc every time I want to play
-One more thing to have to store

PSN version
++Game is always on my machine. Just press button to play
+Very slightly cheaper (Personally I really don't care)
-5GB download (Personally I really don't care)
-Game is tied to a particular PSN account (not sure what the full implications are yet)
--Cannot easily swap or lend to friends

I'm torn! And only a few more hours to decide... Sort of was leaning toward the disc version. But I really do want to support downloadable PSN games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back