The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Crayon: you are really mistaken. The MX-5 can powerslide, sure, but you cannot properly powerdrift it in GT4. In GT:HD it can both powerdrift and it has the right balance ... and you can also lose control and spin out in some locations in a way that is clearly different from GT4. I have done extensive testing of the grip levels and handling of the cars in GT:HD and played GT3 and GT4 to death, and while I may still be wrong, I'm not easily swayed in my opinion. ;)

Well I'm happy to agree to disagree for now. Should be a lesson to everyone reading that the subtleties of this game are for the most part not measurable and one should take care to feel things out for themselves. It's easy to read an opinion that sounds convincing -my own for example- and have it taint your own analysis.

But.... I guess I got a minute to squabble. :p
I'm not familiar with your terms here. How do you, Arwin, distinguish between a "powerslide" and a "powerdrift"? I'm assuming by the use of the word "power" that these are both done under positive drivetrain load.

What I personally call "drift" is two or more tires working at high (as in inefficient) slip angles. In discussion with others I generally assume that we are talking about that, but specifically under positive drivetrain loads. ie, "on throttle".

A report of the Tokyo Motor Show press briefing
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071024/gt5p.htm

The movie that appeared before but not on the official web site is the opening movie for the GT5P retail version.

Polyphony designed the UI of the computer called "Multi-Function Display" in the real GT-R car.

Now the title of this thread should have GT5 Prologue instead of GT HD ;)

How do you, Arwin, distinguish between a "powerslide" and a "powerdrift"? I'm assuming by the use of the word "power" that these are both done under positive drivetrain load.

What I personally call "drift" is two or more tires working at high (as in inefficient) slip angles. In discussion with others I generally assume that we are talking about that, but specifically under positive drivetrain loads. ie, "on throttle".

Um... Isn't it like this:

Powerslide is simply getting the tail of a car out while being on throttle.

In other words what all the loosers in Honda Civic's with huge bodykits and lots of stickers do to simulate a drift with a FWD car (drag ass and use e-brake, left foot braking, feinting etc to create oversteer)

Drifting to me is simply oversteer (get the tail out) a car and regulate the oversteer by amount of throttle.

As you approach the turn, you give the car a sudden steering input, tossing it sideways and getting all four wheels to slide, while steering into the slide. As you reach the apex of the turn, you apply the power and straighten the wheel, pointing in the direction you want to go (usually out of the turn and not into the wall next to you).

Atleast the actual "drifting" term came from that in racing, back when tires sucked, this was the most effective way to turn. With modern tires, grip levels are so high, it makes you go slower to force the car into an actual drift.

I've always looked at drifting as being more a method of showing off than actual racing. In terms of speed, grip racing is far quicker, it's just not as flashy.

I'll occasionally powerslide in a game, but I rarely drift. It's hard to explain the difference, I just sort of feel it. Sometimes it's a powerslide, sometimes it's a drift.

In regards to the Amateur/Professional/Simulation, that's not a racing mode, it's simply adjusts the sensitivity of the wheel. According to the good folks on GTPlanet, it's effects are only seen on 180-degree "arcade" wheels, like the old GTForce wheel released with GT3. It has no effect whatsoever on the DFP or any other 900-degree wheel, where input is always what-you-turn-is-what-you-get. If you're really hardcore about racing sims, then you shouldn't be driving with a 180-degree wheel anyway, so there's no sense in making a big deal of those control adjustments.

Drifting and powerslides are two names for the same thing.

The drifting name probably only came about because powersliding is harder to say and doesn't sound as cool as "drifting".

"I did this massive powerslide today" or "I did this massive drift today" I know which I'd sooner say (Well I would say it if I wanted to burn up my tires every week :LOL: )

I find "drifting" to be pure garbage. It's the equivalent of "stunting" on bikes. Yes, it requires talent and so forth but I don't have an ounce of respect for it.

I'll always be impressed by a fast laptime than a high drift score.

I find "drifting" to be pure garbage. It's the equivalent of "stunting" on bikes. Yes, it requires talent and so forth but I don't have an ounce of respect for it.

(!) You mean in games or in real life ? If it's the latter, the "Top of the Drift World" video doesn't impress you ?

There's a place for drifting. For instance, in rally you can see how some turns can be taken faster in a drift. It does deserve some respect in those cases.

In regular racing, drifts could also gain you time here and there, but the tradeoff is tire-wear and since most regular racing doesn't just involve a couple of laps only, it's not a common sight. However, in computer game racing where there are often one lap time trials or other racing where tire-wear is irrelevant, it has a place and you'll find some very fast drivers can use a drift for some cars to gain the few tenths that puts them above everyone else. In GT:HD, the best Ferrari times are a good example.

The difference between a powerslide and a drift is that with a proper drift, the rear end of the car breaks out and is no longer aligned with the basic direction of the car (whose front wheels often still at least mostly point into the right direction for most of the turn). While the rear wheels no longer have optimum grip, what they do still manage contribute is directly pushing the car in the opposite direction of where the gravitational forces want to push them, thus helping the car to keep a tight turn radius. For rally cars on bad surfaces, this also has less effect on tire-wear (since grip isn't too good anyway, less friction on the tires). But this technique is sometimes faster than a 'regular' turn.

A powerslide is simply losing grip on all four wheels and often really is just a slide while you still have the throttle on. These will never gain you time.

A report of the Tokyo Motor Show press briefing
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071024/gt5p.htm

The movie that appeared before but not on the official web site is the opening movie for the GT5P retail version.

Polyphony designed the UI of the computer called "Multi-Function Display" in the real GT-R car.

Now the title of this thread should have GT5 Prologue instead of GT HD ;)

Has anyone tried the unveiled GT-R yet? It's got an internal view now, complete with the UI Polyphony designed.

This framerate needs a lot of work. Played it again and saw the 2 unveilings. Got into the Sti with R1 tires. First lap wasn't bad, got into 2nd at went off at Turn1 trying outbraking myself. Then got back into about mid pack and it was a stuttering mess all throughout the lap. This is using the bumper cam view.

the framerate isn't bad at all to me and i'm usually sensitive to framerate dips.

which view are you guys using (i'm assuming in-car)? i'd imagine framerate dips would be more noticeable in TP view.

maybe its because when i'm racing, not many cars are on screen?

This framerate needs a lot of work. Played it again and saw the 2 unveilings. Got into the Sti with R1 tires. First lap wasn't bad, got into 2nd at went off at Turn1 trying outbraking myself. Then got back into about mid pack and it was a stuttering mess all throughout the lap. This is using the bumper cam view.
I noticed something similar, but thought it was something to do with the physics simulation as I raced twice in the STi, once in standard mode because I forget I selected it previously, and then in pro mode.

Standard mode was fine, noticed some slow down in professional mode.

I noticed something similar, but thought it was something to do with the physics simulation as I raced twice in the STi, once in standard mode because I forget I selected it previously, and then in pro mode.

Standard mode was fine, noticed some slow down in professional mode.

That's odd. Are they really taking so much more into account in professional mode? I thought Professional mode would really amount to stricter, less forgiving thresholds.

I just did a few races and I pretty much confirmed what I said.

It was perfectly fine in standard mode, and in professional there are several areas where I get guaranteed slow down.

Turn 2 for example, fine in standard, some slowdown in professional.

It's nothing drastic, but I guess it points to there being a hell of a lot more being calculated on the physics in professional mode.

It is more of a problem in the STi for some reason too, it's still there in the GTR as well, just not as pronounced.

I've never had it stutter for an enitre lap but I agree, the framerate is the first thing that needs sorting. I have complete confidence in that happening.

I haven't tried the game with standard mode yet, so it's interesting if the physics setting is what's causing it.

Weird. What kind of resolution are you running? I've almost never had any problems, and the few problems I've had were in-car view with some tearing. I nearly always run Pro-mode ... I run 720p.

I notice quite serious stuttering in professional mode and behind the car view, I have to try a bit more, but the Subaru seemed to cause it more than the BMW...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back