The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The day before they unveil the final GT-R, instead of just removing the black mask, they actually pulled another drape over it and locked it. Just for that one day ... how cool is that? (well at least I think it is cool)

Have your camera ready when they become available, just in case they pull off a stunning realistic removal of the cloth that's unrepeated! Though if they've got such a cool effect, it must be present in the game. A senseless waste if otherwise.

Shame they don't let you drive round the track with the cover on :LOL:

Cockpit view would be interesting.

Heh, indeed ... though the silk is in fact a little bit transparent, you can see it near the ground where the light comes through from the other side in between the wheels ... it's actually very impressively done but you probably need HD to appreciate it. ;)

Loving the video of the city environment in the demo. It looks incredible.

Plus...I think we can tell that the other two tracks are in the demo as well waiting to be unlocked, since every time I watch a video of it, it's using a different car. Or did we know the other two tracks were in it?

Loving the video of the city environment in the demo. It looks incredible.

Plus...I think we can tell that the other two tracks are in the demo as well waiting to be unlocked, since every time I watch a video of it, it's using a different car. Or did we know the other two tracks were in it?

They are in fact replays ... you can even control the camera and choose which car you want to follow and so on. ;)

Yeah, that silk is somethin. I just got a real look at it last nite.

@Slider & Arwin:

GTHD was very much GT4 dressed up. There where some changes to the driving model, but it was basically the same.

GT5 is, by my reckoning, something new and is taking more forces into account. Or more likely, deviding and making discreet sublte forces that where lumped together before.

For example, in gt3 they introduced tire deflection, which was likely "accounted for" in gt2 but probly not calculated discreetly. In GT5, this aspect is much improved, but so is everything else that was already there.

The new thing I feel is more subtle, yet. I believe the wheel travel is alot less linear and significantly more complicated (realistic). The shock stroke itself seems to be speed-sensitive(as all real- life shocks are. See:shock dyno). And I think we're getting real suspension geometry rather then just progressive wheel allignment curves. And I think there might be bumpstops. I don't think Pro affects this stuff tho.

Yeah this one is far more realistic. I didnt try much the normal mode. I prefer some practice in the professional mode and I ll go as far as to say that especially in the in-car view it almost feels in terms of realism and difficulty like my experience in the GT4 simulation I played at a motor show minus the adrenaline of the cabin movements.

The car seems to simulate extremely well the gravity forces and weight of the car, and grip is lost easily if your wheels slide and reach the outer sides of the road.

Yeah, that silk is somethin. I just got a real look at it last nite.

@Slider & Arwin:

GTHD was very much GT4 dressed up. There where some changes to the driving model, but it was basically the same.

I disagree. While GT5 Prologue has progressed a little bit further, the difference in grip and tire simulation in GT:HD was already very pronounced. Have you even forgotten that drift-mode and 'normal' mode in that game was handled by the exact same engine, with the exact same parameters? ;) Some serious improvements have been made there, very visible already in the MX-5 (which was virtually impossible to drift in stock form in previous GTs) and the Evo's, and even in the Lotus (basically, just about all of them). Also, you could already spin out and do a donut, all of these are things that were not so easily done in previous GTs.

GT5 is, by my reckoning, something new and is taking more forces into account. Or more likely, deviding and making discreet sublte forces that where lumped together before.

They just keep refining everything, which is great. The most important thing in the GT5 Prologue Demo, however, is that we now have separate Simulation and Beginner modes. That has allowed them to put everything up to the highest level of realism without making the game completely unplayable in some cars, for those that want it anyway. I dare any beginner to take the 135i with N3 tires on Simulation mode and no assists and try to make it across the track without losing a position and without spinning out. ;) (this is still hard in Beginner mode even though)

For example, in gt3 they introduced tire deflection, which was likely "accounted for" in gt2 but probly The new thing I feel is more subtle, yet. I believe the wheel travel is alot less linear and significantly more complicated (realistic). The shock stroke itself seems to be speed-sensitive(as all real- life shocks are. See:shock dyno). And I think we're getting real suspension geometry rather then just progressive wheel allignment curves. And I think there might be bumpstops. I don't think Pro affects this stuff tho.

I think the most important improvements are what I already pointed out in GT:HD, which I think stands out even more here now in Simulation mode, but I haven't investigated things in detail yet (I have been toying around braking or letting go of the gas though and enjoy basic stuff like having the cars overtake me left and right without touching me :p).

I'll definitely get back on this.

@betan: the answer is already in the quote!

@Mechanised: we do get pretty much a whole lap (especially if you move the camera to the car driving in front) and it's very clear that the whole track is there. However, there is no immediate reason to believe that they will unlock these in the demo. The demo is basically a locked down version of the full GT5 Prologue game.

Well, have downloaded and tried the GT5-Prologue demo.

The good:
  • looks great
  • very realistic on professional mode
  • excellent in-car view (really makes the whole sensation of driving a bit frighting)
  • A.I is better - or at least I noted that A.I overtakes A.I
The bad:
  • no online time rankings? :(
  • quite awkward playing with the controller (analog sticks) as you can really see how the stick movement is mapped to the steering wheel in the interior view. Make a hard turn and it takes ages for the 'driver in the car' to turn the wheel right to where you want it. Perhaps I should try the GT wheel for the full on experience, but just an option to turn up the analogstick sensitivity would help a lot.
  • engine sounds wtfh?
    When you lift the throttle in the BMW for example, all the sound basically just mutes. And I have driven quite a few BMWs to know better. Any car, no matter how much you hear of the engine, makes a more involving sound than it's portrayed in the GT series.
  • uninspiring track visuals (though I admit it's partly just the track)
  • why isn't the dash sharp? Surely that texture for the dials could be a bit sharper...?
Further thoughts (for improvment):
  • When going through a tunnel, I want the car to sound like it's going through a tunnel! Surely there's some car nut at Polyphony Digital that should realize this or have they been sitting too much in a locked up bunker trying to complete the game?
  • A.I. still not sure about it, if I'm honest. Still seems as if it's more like a collective A.I (one A.I. directing all cars), rather than each car having it's own mind and trying to "win" a race.
  • The car interior: It shouldn't be too hard to make more dials functional. I.e. in the BMW - the fuel consumption gauge could be linked with how hard you press the button etc.

[*]no online time rankings? :(

Not in this demo, but this demo is very much not aimed at that. The previous demo was however (the GT:HD Concept demo) which you should still be able to download, I think. That one also has the points based drifting mode. Both the time trial and drifting mode in that game have nicely built out online rankings for each of the 20 cars, and the best laps can (or could for a while anyway) be viewed online on your PC or downloaded as a replay on your PS3.

[*]quite awkward playing with the controller (analog sticks) as you can really see how the stick movement is mapped to the steering wheel in the interior view. Make a hard turn and it takes ages for the 'driver in the car' to turn the wheel right to where you want it. Perhaps I should try the GT wheel for the full on experience, but just an option to turn up the analogstick sensitivity would help a lot.

I didn't notice it, but then there aren't that many occasions for steering like that normally. :p A wheel is definitely a recommendation if you think you like driving games, but I personally found the controller quite useable this time.

[*]engine sounds wtfh?
When you lift the throttle in the BMW for example, all the sound basically just mutes. And I have driven quite a few BMWs to know better. Any car, no matter how much you hear of the engine, makes a more involving sound than it's portrayed in the GT series.

BMWs get quieter and quieter, but I agree in general that the engine sounds could be more involving. Do note however, that if you want to know what the car sounds like, you should drive with the behind the car view, because the sound you hear in the car is modelled realistically also, taking into account all noise reduction designed to make driving cars more comfortable in real life.

[*]uninspiring track visuals (though I admit it's partly just the track)

I think that the track visuals are still being worked on to be honest - right now they clearly seem to have been focussing on the cars (all 16 of them ;) ). That said, track visuals for a racing track aren't all that interesting in reality either. I agree though, that right now they don't look great. But when you're driving among the other cars, combined with the HDR lighting everything still looks pretty ... pretty!

[*]why isn't the dash sharp? Surely that texture for the dials could be a bit sharper...?

Could be optimised for a different resolution at the moment, or some AF isn't in place yet.

[*]When going through a tunnel, I want the car to sound like it's going through a tunnel! Surely there's some car nut at Polyphony Digital that should realize this or have they been sitting too much in a locked up bunker trying to complete the game?

There is a tunnel in Suzuka? :p Seriously though, this is something that has been in the Gran Turismo series like forever. Have you been locked up in a bunker? ;)

[*]A.I. still not sure about it, if I'm honest. Still seems as if it's more like a collective A.I (one A.I. directing all cars), rather than each car having it's own mind and trying to "win" a race.

I thought there were already some interesting things going on. In the final stretch when the finish is coming up, they are more agressive, at least they were to me. I expect we'll see something that builds on the B-Spec mode in GT4 in the final game. It's good enough for me though right now, the most important thing is that they don't take me out of the race for no reason, and that right now is already much better than in several other games I've played recently.

[*]The car interior: It shouldn't be too hard to make more dials functional. I.e. in the BMW - the fuel consumption gauge could be linked with how hard you press the button etc.
[/list]

Fuel consumption is likely only to be active in races where fuel consumption is in fact on. This was available in GT4 already (along with tire wear) as an option that wasn't on by default in Arcade mode, and came into play only in later stages of the Simulation Mode. I expect that when we get the fuel consumption races with proper pit-stops and everything as we already had in GT4 (it was encouraging to see that I could actually drive through the pits now on my own ;) ), we'll also have an active fuel indicator.

A note on the AI

The AI seems to be pretty good, and quite frankly I havn't seen the AI make as many mistakes and try out so many ways to overtake other AIs.

I've seen cars behind me run wide (cars that are about 3 places behind me, and I didn't see this until I looked at the replay),
I've also seen cars about 4 seconds ahead of me hit the sand and stir up quite some dust on the last turns (that AI also lost complete control in this incident without me interfering. Seems like the other AIs forced it to do so).
I've even gotten the chance to race side by side two other vehicles in trying to reach the next corner.
Most other racing games I've encountered would either ignore me and let me feel as if I hit a brick (when I hit them),
running on a predefined line (Formula 1...) and making close to no mistakes (they also do not care if I try to overtake them, nor would they EVER overtake each other).

The AI here, from what I've been feeling, would steer away from me to such a point that they would run off the line and crash (if I meant to bump them on various critical turns).
Very nice AI with quite humanistic attributes if you ask my opinion....

Also, with racing purposes, I actually felt that 0 traction control with R3 (front and back) actually gave me the best time and the best control in Professional mode.
Traction control frequently gave me severe understeer while braking and I would run off track...
Although turning it off made my tires skid quite a bit on many turns, it at least let me stay on track and be able to compete with the other cars.
Does anyone experience the same, or is this quite normal? (I wouldn't call myself an experienced driver...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in this demo, but this demo is very much not aimed at that. The previous demo was however (the GT:HD Concept demo) which you should still be able to download, I think. That one also has the points based drifting mode. Both the time trial and drifting mode in that game have nicely built out online rankings for each of the 20 cars, and the best laps can (or could for a while anyway) be viewed online on your PC or downloaded as a replay on your PS3.

Yep, I know - I thought it was that much of fun that it would have been nice to have a similar feature in GT5p as well - especially with the professional driving mode. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer though.

I didn't notice it, but then there aren't that many occasions for steering like that normally. :p A wheel is definitely a recommendation if you think you like driving games, but I personally found the controller quite useable this time.

Of course there is - I tried to rescue the car spinning out on a few occasion and having a more sensitive and responsive steering wheel would help a lot. If I press the stick to the outer most side in an instance, I want the steering wheel (the game) to respond accoardingly. That would make it a whole lot more difficult and such advanced driving is probably not well suited to a controller anyway. I do have the Logitech driving wheel and would use it, but since I have a beamer installed and no where to mount the wheel to, I'll have to pass this up for the moment. I have no doubt though that the game experience would be as accurate as it gets with it.

BMWs get quieter and quieter, but I agree in general that the engine sounds could be more involving. Do note however, that if you want to know what the car sounds like, you should drive with the behind the car view, because the sound you hear in the car is modelled realistically also, taking into account all noise reduction designed to make driving cars more comfortable in real life.

I know cars are getting quieter, but the engine sound *inside the car* isn't representative enough. Espeically in the BMW which I do know makes more noise than that when lifting the throttle. And I am playing it through a hifi as well, not through tiny tv speakers... Try reving any BMW *designed for comfort* to the max and then lift the throttle and tell me you hear just about nothing. ;)

I'm not questioning the sounds from the back of the car (which btw are off too) though. I'm saying the sounds are still too far off in the car view - and I'm comparing that with my experience of driving those cars.

But when you're driving among the other cars, combined with the HDR lighting everything still looks pretty ... pretty!

Agreed. It looks very pretty indeed and I'm just nitpicking (which I think I'm allowed to given this is only a demo and I want them to iron these things out). Given how great the game already looks, it also ups the expectations in other areas as well. If the game looks this great, I want the sound of the engine to sound authentic as well etc etc.

There is a tunnel in Suzuka? :p Seriously though, this is something that has been in the Gran Turismo series like forever. Have you been locked up in a bunker? ;)

There isn't a tunnel in Suzuka, but there is a bridge under which you drive through. Surely that *should* make a difference. ;)

Fuel consumption is likely only to be active in races where fuel consumption is in fact on. This was available in GT4 already (along with tire wear) as an option that wasn't on by default in Arcade mode, and came into play only in later stages of the Simulation Mode. I expect that when we get the fuel consumption races with proper pit-stops and everything as we already had in GT4 (it was encouraging to see that I could actually drive through the pits now on my own ;) ), we'll also have an active fuel indicator.

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about the fuel gauge - I was talking about the fuel consumption gauge - something that is found in practically every BMW since the over 15 years.

Here's a picture to illustrate my point:

gt5_dials.jpg

It's just a minor thing, but my point is, if you're already going through the trouble of carefully modeling the dials and the entire interior of the car, also make some of the more important dials functional.

Given how authentic the game is looking and feeling, it'd be a shame to have the experience set back a bit by the little details such as functional gauges that are not working and very noticable in certain cars - i.e. the turbo pressure gauges or in the case of the BMW, the fuel consumption gauge which shows quite a bit of movement. Fuel gauges and temperature gauges are less important IMO as they hardly move much anyway.

Also, adding these touches shouldn't be a performance issue as the data is already being shown by the gaming HUD.

Yeah, I know, it's only a demo and all I'm doing is voicing my opinion on what striked me most in the demo. It's excellent and I have no doubt the full version will have most of these things ironed out (I hope) - but I'm not playing that version (yet), so all I have to comment on is what Polyphony has given us.

Ah, I didn't even know BMWs had that :blush: ... I've only driven a 320d once, in the middle of the night (the only one sober ;) ).

This was available for the Prius in previous games, so in theory they have the code for it. But considering how much work modelling the interior already is, I wonder if they'll go this far. But you never know with PD.

Did you know for instance that apparently with the Diahatsu in the demo if you drive using the G25, you cannot use the H-shifter for this, only the shifting paddles on the wheel? :D (because this car apparently is a semiautomatic with triptronic only - can't verify though, can't find a lot of info on this car). Also nice with this car is that it has a sunroof and you can actually tell this from the way the light and shadow falls over the dashboard.

Is there any news about tyre marks?

I was quite disapointed when my very sideways 135i didn't leave any black marks ;)

When I was driving at Tokyo gameshow I noticed som tyre marks at just about the same position as where I spun out the lap before at Fuji Speedway.
I can't confirm that I made the marks, but I'm hopefull.

Edit:
I can't reproduce it in the prolouge demo, the pictures I have don't provide any evidence either. I'm not that confident in that I made the marks.

I finally created a fake Japanese account to get the demo. Some parts of the visual is surreal and slick, some are work in progress. Because of high expectation, the graphics merely gets a careful glance and silent nod for me (I'm essentially holding my breathe). If they keep up the good work, the final game should be very stylish and atmospheric.

Even though I am not much of a racing fan, I can feel that driving in GT:p demo has improved. It's actually more interesting now. In comparison, GT:HD was a little clinical. This one feels more lively (as in the car is alive, which I like :) ).

Have not tried cockpit view yet (Am reserving that for later).

The thing that intrigues me more is GT:TV. Right now it's a bare bone grid of SD videos (a little like PSN). Hopefully they have a more effective layout when there are real content.

The "Top of the Drifting World" video is amazing. Those guys drive just like the top scorers in Gran Turismo. :)

A note on the AI

The AI seems to be pretty good, and quite frankly I havn't seen the AI make as many mistakes and try out so many ways to overtake other AIs.

I've seen cars behind me run wide (cars that are about 3 places behind me, and I didn't see this until I looked at the replay),
I've also seen cars about 4 seconds ahead of me hit the sand and stir up quite some dust on the last turns (that AI also lost complete control in this incident without me interfering. Seems like the other AIs forced it to do so).
I've even gotten the chance to race side by side two other vehicles in trying to reach the next corner.
Most other racing games I've encountered would either ignore me and let me feel as if I hit a brick (when I hit them),
running on a predefined line (Formula 1...) and making close to no mistakes (they also do not care if I try to overtake them, nor would they EVER overtake each other).

The AI here, from what I've been feeling, would steer away from me to such a point that they would run off the line and crash (if I meant to bump them on various critical turns).
Very nice AI with quite humanistic attributes if you ask my opinion....

Also, with racing purposes, I actually felt that 0 traction control with R3 (front and back) actually gave me the best time and the best control in Professional mode.
Traction control frequently gave me severe understeer while braking and I would run off track...
Although turning it off made my tires skid quite a bit on many turns, it at least let me stay on track and be able to compete with the other cars.
Does anyone experience the same, or is this quite normal? (I wouldn't call myself an experienced driver...)

Can someone confirm this ? If true, it would be the most interesting aspect to me.

This game will complement MotorStorm really well. They are like the opposite of each other :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back