The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without damage, let me tell you how it happends 90% of the time playing with random people:

Your leading. Coming up to the last corner. WHAM!!!! somebody PITs you, and you lost 5 places. Damage prevents a lot of that.

If it's a gameplay issue, can't they tweak the gameplay without damaging the cars visually ? (e.g. penalize the ramming car)

Have you played "simlike" racers online before? Or any street racing game? Online?

Without damage, let me tell you how it happends 90% of the time playing with random people:

Your leading. Coming up to the last corner. WHAM!!!! somebody PITs you, and you lost 5 places. Damage prevents a lot of that.
In Gran Turismo 4 they have a collision penalization in some modes, they just need to add it to the online options.

Have you played "simlike" racers online before? Or any street racing game? Online?

ah PGR3 ... the memories

things like these can be avoided if you take your corners like this instead of doing it the classic way. You get a higher exit speed + sometimes even a speed boost when someone tries to pit you (because they'll hit the rear of your car, not the side). No matter what they do, you'll leave the corner first.

In real life doing this would have damaged your own car as well. So I dont think people will be attempting this if there is a realistic damage system ;)

Everybody who at least races a little with realism knows that in a lot of cars, aspecially RWD ones, it only takes a small nudge from behind to lose grip in a corner. That doesn't damage either car at that time, but the resulting spin into a wall and/or being hit by other cars coming up the rear certainly does damage. But typically the one car that is least likely to get damaged in this scenario is the one that caused the whole thing in the first place.

Ostepop, I have better friends than you I suppose. ;) Back when I drove a lot of GTR 2002 or the DTM mods, or the Mini Mod, etc., only the hardcore drove that game anyway, so even random online drivers were typically pretty decent. But everyone makes mistakes.

And yes, several games have penalty systems already, like GT4 on the later levels or when you enable that option. I kinda liked the one in Ethusia, that game could keep track of pretty much anything and give you an overview of every bit of off-track, spin, touch, and so on.

No, I think damage adds a bit of randomness to competition, and I don't like that a lot - great competition is when you can win by your skills and skills alone.

They should contract the guys doing Burnout paradise to implement a full damage model for them... that would be awesome.

Nesh,
as Arwin has said, in close racing, especially when cornering hard with the outside tyres loaded, a small nurf from the inside is enough to brake grip and send you into the scenery at great speed and a potentially big impact.

Getting a gentle rear end tap going into a chicane might not cause much damage but means you can't make the chicane and hit the tyres at 60mph, again not your fault but your car will be stuffed.

In a competative leage/ race these are the sort of things that happen even with the cleanest of racers once the red mist sets in, as cars are close AND on the limit. Generally people are apploigetic and wait for you to get back on the track, but damage would make it too frustrating.

This is why when I race in PC sim leagues we tend to turn off damage as like has already been said the loss of time if you get hit or shunted is bad enough let alone if your car is left with only three wheels.

Although I damage is not something I really want to see I think slight cosmetic damage could be nice, such as scratches/ dulling of paintwork and wing mirrors being knocked off :)

As far as penalities for crashing, you can't really have a set penalty for crashing. I mean, yes, usually the guy behind you is trying to do the PIT move, but if there is suddenly a penalty in place for crashing like that, the guy in front is going to start hitting the brakes more often.

IMO, keep it real, keep damage on, and that should be enough.

I hate racing ghosts, and you might aswell do that if you turn damage of.

Ostepop, I have better friends than you I suppose. Back when I drove a lot of GTR 2002 or the DTM mods, or the Mini Mod, etc., only the hardcore drove that game anyway, so even random online drivers were typically pretty decent. But everyone makes mistakes.

Wait til you try online consoles ;) Any popular "simlike" racing game will have morons.

As far as penalities for crashing, you can't really have a set penalty for crashing. I mean, yes, usually the guy behind you is trying to do the PIT move, but if there is suddenly a penalty in place for crashing like that, the guy in front is going to start hitting the brakes more often.

Wait til you try online consoles ;) Any popular "simlike" racing game will have morons.

I say screw damage..

GT multiplayer has never been about racing and deliberately attempting to screw over your opponents (ballsing them into rails etc..), unlike PGR..

In real life you just wouldn't do that anyway, lest you loose your racing license and gain a criminal conviction for attempted murder..

:cry:

Hitting the brakes still slows you down, and you still risk being pushed off the track.

Overtaking ghosts isn't really the same ...

I have piles of great, fair GT driving friends from my LAN parties and from the various GT forums alll over the place. Just allow us to create closed tournaments with people on your friends list only, and/or allow us to make all sorts of interesting driving limitations (no ASM/TCS, only certain cars, etc.) as that'll scare away most random drivers also ;) (or make them easy to get rid of).

It's just that for, say, if you want to have official price winning tournaments online, then it would be useful if there are some default penalties you can set.

The ideal situation is that the best driver in a given tournament, given that he didn't make any mistakes, would win every single time. And that ideal is hard enough to achieve even without damage. ;)

(I still wouldn't mind having it in as an option of course!)

I agree, and in an ideal world, where realistic damage would be a possibility, I would want nothing less.

Unfortunately, even without factoring in performance restrictions, we do know that there are car manufacturers that don't want to see their cars get crashed - or at least in a way that it could hurt their image through a mass-market game. I would think Mercedes is one of the more prominent manufacturers here - at the time having problems with their A-Class and the media attention of it failing the "Elchtest" (evade-slalom test)...

Given Gran Turismo is that game which has the most cars and has contracts with the most car manufacturers for its games, a lowest common denominator must be found - and once you concider that, what's left of a realistic damage model? I would think not much, sadly. So the question becomes -

do we want a...

1.) seriously compromised damage model with most cars, perhaps no realtime weather (performance limited)

2.) realistic damage with a drastically reduced number of cars, with no realtime weather (performance limited)

3.) no damage at all with all cars, and the possibility of realtime weather etc

4.) Mixed cars with damage and some without, but not consistant, perhaps even cars that can not race against each other while damage is switched on etc and no realtime weather

As much as I would love to have damage - I think I'd go for option 3. Playing a seriously compromised GT with only 20 cars that allow damage wouldn't be GT anymore. Then I'd rather have no damage at all and a way to at least "experience" all the cars that I can't afford (which IMO is what GT is about)...

According to the latest Famitsu mag with an interview with Yamauchi about GT5 Prologue,

+ 2 online race modes in GT5P, one with chat and without.
+ 1080p, of course
+ the HDR lighting in GT5P, for example seen in the realtime pit scene with fluorescent lights (a scene that was prerendered in the GT4 opening), is not possible in other consoles
+ 40 cars probably, and 4 courses / 8 layouts
+ a new course in the GT series will also be in, the one found in the E3 trailer
+ it's possible cars and courses are added later by download, but they'll be free of charge
+ you can buy cars with in-game money. The money you earned can be imported in GT5
+ the locations of GT players are shown on the world map on My Page (like Folding@HOME)

What about the frame rate?

Do they say how much GT5P will be? It's only a download right, not a Blu-Ray disc release?

Why would anyone go into a non-chat online mode? You can always put down the headset if you don't want to talk right?

I remember around the time GT4 was released, one of the PD guys said he's waiting for consoles to have the ability to model the undercarriage of the cars properly before he would implement damage.

Didn't quite understand why rendering the undersides of cars was germane to having damage.

According to the latest Famitsu mag with an interview with Yamauchi about GT5 Prologue,

+ 1080p, of course
+ the HDR lighting in GT5P, for example seen in the realtime pit scene with fluorescent lights (a scene that was prerendered in the GT4 opening), is not possible in other consoles
+ a new course in the GT series will also be in, the one found in the E3 trailer
+ it's possible cars and courses are added later by download, but they'll be free of charge
+ you can buy cars with in-game money. The money you earned can be imported in GT5
+ the locations of GT players are shown on the world map on My Page (like Folding@HOME)
Whoop whoop! and other such phrases that portrait the fact I is extremely pleased :LOL:

I guess the HDR line implies that it's 24bit HDR? which Xenons cannot do.

Why would anyone go into a non-chat online mode? You can always put down the headset if you don't want to talk right?
Yamauchi says it's for those who want more arcade-y play in an anonymous race.

(or probably you don't want to talk with 12 yr olds!)

+ 1080p, of course

Anything related to Cell aidding with the graphics ?

What I meant was...

If they really want to, they should be able to implement the penalty such that the end effect would be similar to a "damage" without visually showing it. Then they can further refine/abstract it to make it more fun, or not. If you can cheat in the abstract version, you will be able to cheat in a "real" damage model, and vice versa (Heck, villians in race car movies use it all the time :p). The trick is to find the threshold/breaking point with experiences.

The problem for the car manufacturers is visual only right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Famitsu noted that the lighting effects in the Pit Menu screen are particularly impressive, and Yamauchi responded that the game uses a technique called High Dynamic Range Lighting. He believes that this is a technique that cannot be replicated on other systems. He also pointed out that the scenery used in the pit menu is actually an evolved version of the same scene from the GT4 intro. Of course, the scene was pre-rendered footage in GT4, and it's real time here.

WTF?! :???:

I think IGN may have left out a few keywords (before or after) during the translations of the Famitsu article. BECAUSE...XBOX 360 CAN DO HDR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back