The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
PGR4 got some comments when it got obvious photomode images. But I ve also seen many times seen such images in PGR4 being marveled but none said anything

How many times do you need to state that its photomode thought? Most of the marveling in the PGR4 thread is about geometry and other stuff that is there regardless of Photomodes.

I think you are confusing what people are marveling. People arent marveling the high quality of the resolution.

Some of the so called "PR shots" are taken directly from the game with only the aliasing reduced. Everything else is identical. These are what people see and like.

I got flamed + i got negative rep, for saying that aside from the obvious bullshot AA the game looks interesting.(refering to a 16x AA 3200p PR shot from R&C).

As for GT's replays there is only one person who was claming that they were identical and it was shown later that he was talking about GT's replays in general and not to GT:HD alone and he admitted the usage of some small effects. Well and he is usually ignored of course many times due to his bias which is known to everyone.

Actually, in the PGR4 thread, suddenly Arwin "forgot" that GT:HD has stuff like motion blur in the replay mode. (who according to himself is the biggest GT fanboy there is, this is also coincidentially the same person that tried to argue that Forza 2 handling feels like driving on Ice). Also, DJ12 "forgot" this.

Instead we were told a fictional theory from Arwin about why the GTHD replay is 30fps and not 60fps. Its obviously 30fps because they are doing things that are costing way much resources, in this case probably involving post processing and motion blur.

But even if they like what they see in replay modes its perfectly understandable. Why not?

There is nothing wrong with liking what you see. I LOVE how GT5 is coming along, forget KZ2, CoD4 and [insert hyped up graphics here] GT5 is in my book the best looking game ever. It does look amazing, but that shouldn't make it okay to flame everybody saying something is photomode\bullshot\etc when it is.

I did a runthrough the thread's posts after the GT5 trailer and I didnt see the fanboys you are talking about or people claming everything we see is real. So I think you are exaggerating a bit.

Beyond 3d moderators operates with purging of threads, meaning most of the flaming\trolling is deleted. If i could show you my reputation sheet, (shame we dont have rep system anymore) you would see that 5 out of a total of 7 negative reps came from pointing out obvious "this is not realtime" things in varius games (1 x360 game 2 PS3 games).

Also GT is more being attacked than PGR4 for its visuals as if there is nothing remarkable during gameplay and as if everything impressive is during the replay's added effects only.

My impression is that GT is being held in high regards by most people.

I think you are very unfair with people who are impressed with PS3 games in general. Why people are defending PS3 games so often is because PS3 games are equally attacked.

Yes, both plattforms get "attacked" the difference however is that even rational posters go all fanboy on you when you point out AA is at bullshot level in a PS3 game.

The biggest difference is however how its generally accepted to say that every game in the world that looks a tad worse on the PS3 than on the X360 is because of not enough development time for the PS3. And how Oblivion is better on the PS3 because of the cell (and not because they had 1 year with a finished build to tweak, wheras the X360 version had 9months total with a devkit including a Xenos and Xenon.).

Im a realist. I have no problem saying that the PS3 is the most powerful system overall. I have no problem saying that GT5 to me, is the most amazing game going by looks. I do however find it amusing that because the PS3 has a powerful CPU, the X360 in unable to run anything better (Even tho Xenos do offer quite a few things that the PS3 will struggle with).

Seriously, i got flamed to hell + pms by some random petrolheads because i said GT4 has to much grip. And i offfered real life examples (AND Arwin, the biggest GT fanboy in the world, going by his own words, agreed with me).

Im sure it happends on other platforms aswell, however i have never experienced it, and i have critizied plenty games on both sides for the same things. This is ofcourse my personal offtopic ranting, based on my personal experience. So you may of course be right that its equal the same way around

i haven't followed the Forza or PGR threads, but are you sure its not the same on both sides? i mean, are you sure there weren't any Forza/PGR fanboys saying that the photo mode shots were real-time?

In the PGR threads it was pointed out and nobody really tried to refute it. (Hell, for PGR3 Bizarre even said that this and that is a pre-render).

With forza 2 there is a slight difference however, because the game was promised to be 4x AA by Turn10. Every screenshot shown was 4x AA, and still officially, according to turn10, forza2 has 4x aa depending on load (which is total bullcrap, unless they count photomode).

Last edited by a moderator:
On a little sidenote next to all the tech talk, are there more people dissapointed about GT (and alot of other racers) only using real circuits? Racing around small tight mountain roads would be so much cooler. Thats what I loved in nfs2/3/4, those cool roads and not just the dead gray racetracks which really dont do the supercars any good.

GT offers both real tracks and imaginary tracks.

Don't know what you mean? Existing tracks is a relatively new thing to the GT series. In GT3, only two tracks were existing (Monaco and Laguna), and of course there were some city tracks that were based on real cities, sort of.

Your small tight mountain roads were among others in the fantasy tracks of Citta d'Aria, Cote di Amalfi, and the recent GT:HD Eiger track is pretty much the definition of ... Though the Nurburgring I think also fits into this category, in my view anyway. But maybe you mean a faster track that is still in the mountains? I do think I remember which track in NFS3 (Hot Pursuit) you are referring to - that looked like a highway in the U.S. and went up in the mountains and over a very high pass, then all the way down. It was a great track and at the time it felt very long.

GT offers both real tracks and imaginary tracks.

I think I just made a ass out of myself o_O I havnt played GT that much and I always thought it only had real life tracks as I always saw circuits and never the nfs like stuff. But GT5 will have the more real stuff? stuff like racing around on small italian mountain roads with walls and houses next to the road? Because that would be so great especially with the awsome gfx that would be alot cooler than just a normal gray racetrack.

Replay modes will/can always look better than race because the certain aspects are no longer "realtime".

I.e. the following would be baked/cached/recorded....

Physics
A.I

Not having to calculate the Physics itself would take quite a load of the system since it would all be pre-recorded data during Replay modes.... thus the CPU is free to add more "effects" during replays.

(this point has probably already been mentioned:p )

Given how long GT replays can be, they can only be recording user input and recalculating pretty much everything else. Recording the results of the physics calculations would consume way too much memory.

Given how long GT replays can be, they can only be recording user input and recalculating pretty much everything else. Recording the results of the physics calculations would consume way too much memory.
This is completely correct.

Maybe the GT games record position once in a while just to be safe and make sure an error doesn' propagate for thousands of frames (and it would also give you quasi-random access), but you don't get to spare yourself the physics calculations in a replay.

Maybe A.I. isn't recalculated and they record computer input as well. Anyway, dropping to 30fps gives RSX double the time to do motion blur, too, so extra effects are no mystery.

I managed to grab a couple of images before their internet died from asphyxiation.

I count 15 cars on that picture :O

Second picture confirms that the pit sequence in the trailer is indeed rendered in real time.

I think they have said there will be 16 cars, with online races having between 8 and 16 in the final release. (It was in a magazine scan someone translated.)

I'd like to know if you can leave skidmarks on the track. It's the only thing that's ever really bothered me in GT. I'd love to leave a few darkies on the start line and then see them for the next few laps.

Yeah, one of the other pictures confirms there to be 16 cars. As for the whole 'real time' debate, it's probably more correct to say 'in-engine'. It appears they rendered out the game at insanely high resolutions for the trailer. But all effects (be it replay or whatever), geometry and lighting looked to have been 'real time' effects.

And only 5 unique models, which suggests that, as has been speculated, they're going to run out of memory much sooner than processing/rendering power.

Yeah, and I imagine if they're going to have online races with >8 cars it'll be things like manufacturer championships where you're limited to variations on particular cars. For offline races, car diversity is something easier to control.

Kazunori Yamauchi playing the demo @ Playstation Premiere 2007

http://it.nikkei.co.jp/digital/news/index.aspx?n=MMITea000017072007
MMITea000017072007_2_1_ea.jpg

Oh and 16 cars in a race was confirmed by Yamauchi according to the report by Phileweb. The game includes one super sports car exhibited at Tokyo Motor Show this year.

That last shot shows more than 5 different models for those keeping score ;)

The very last car looks like a Mustang, certainly single round headlight anyway, unlike all the other cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back