The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
GTHDvsRealLifeJuly.jpg

from Neogaf.

The Ferrari looks especially sweet.

If Prologue is a reasonable price I'm going to buy it. Hopefully though it will be on PSN and I can con my friend into buying it, then download it from his login :devilish:

I am not impressed unless the cars to the left (GT5) are from the ingame not replay mode. Replay modes enhances the graphics quite a bit (as I have seen in GT:HD) and motion-blur makes one percieve the graphics as more realistic (hint: KZ2)! ;)

GT5-1.jpg

Several cars,
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8885/gt51qo2.jpg
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/2170/gt54sg2.jpg
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/9375/gt56rc6.jpg

One car,
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1771/gt55ki7.jpg
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2858/gt57xy2.jpg
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9678/gt52xp6.jpg

Maybe this is why EACH car takes 180 days to model?

The detail on the cars is truly fantastic, apparently they really modelled every visible bit of the car's exterior, interior, etc. Just look at the wheels and the brake pads on the Ferrari! In motion it looks just about indistinguishable from the real thing, crazy.

However, the Audi comparison shots are a bit unfortunate - I think the Audi on the right side is also rendered in just about all of those shots. :LOL:

Wow, is that how long its taking?

I've heard that Polyphony might release the game without its full complement of cars and tracks, and make these extras available for download at a later point. Anyone else know more about this?

Btw, the game looks simply amazing. IMO, it'll be the best looking console game out there when its released, perhaps alongside Killzone.

Even if that's their replay mode, it looks like they've improved their motion blur implementation quite a bit since GT HD.

Are you actually being serious or joking?

thats like 2.something cars per year.. :rolleyes:

Somehow I find it hard to believe that it takes a trained professional artist 180 days worth of ~9-11 hr working shifts to create a car even this detailed..

:rolleyes:

PD said once how much time they needed to create one car but I cant remember. Anyone recall the article?

..article managed to squeeze in a few details about Gran Turismo 5 from creator Kazunori Yamauchi. Among the salient news:

Programming detailed car models on the PS3 is a ridiculously time-consuming process. "For Gran Turismo 1, one car was one day's work for one man," Yamauchi said. "For GT3, one car was one man's work for 30 days. For GT5, one car is one man's work for 180 days."

Joystiq

Either they're hiring a bunch of slackers or they need to upgrade their modelling software. No way would it take 180 days for one artist to create one car. They have all the data sheets for these things, the blue prints and tech drawings. Why so long?

Hah, the story is growing with the years. He told this story around GT4's release if I remember correctly and then it was still half a day for the car on PSX, versus 2 weeks for the PS2 version.

They do put a lot of time into this though. During the preparation of GT4, you could see them doing a tour of the world (they also went to the UK, they even rented the Top Gear team), and they tested the cars on the track, photographed them, recorded their sounds, tested some of them on wet surfaces, and so on. I speculated back then that they were already doing some extra groundwork for PS3's version of GT, because the sound recordings and so on could be used for when they finally had enough space for using samples rather than their engine sound synthesizer which they've been using up till now (including GT:HD as far as I can tell). In that french movie, you could see a woman working on the dashboard and even there you could tell that she probably would be spending more than one day on recreating the whole thing with the correct meters and so on. the 180 days probably refers to some of the more special cars - for some of them they'll write additional routines and some of them they'll probably work extra hard on (the Ferrari's? ;) ). I can imagine that if they use samples for the sound now (the movie seemed to suggest it, as the sound of the cars was just about perfect - let's hope that's the way it will sound in the final game!), that alone could take a while to model accurately. I would estimate that a 40-50 day's work on modelling an average car, optimising every aspect of it, testing it to specs, the upgrades, and so on, could be reasonable.

Joystiq
"Programming detailed cars"...

I think we should stop assuming its just modelling, it most likely involves the whole work, each car physical handling properties from chassis/suspension to engine performance and probably soundmapping each cars engine, the whole work stages involved.

Your basically saying that the reason GT is not a proper simulation game is because of lack of super cumputer consoles? That and making excuses for why its not as good as other games in the "simulation" part? Yes it has a ton of cars, that should not be an excuse for being less realistic. Its not as good simulation as other games end leave it at that. Its still the best "driving"game.

There is plenty of simulation games that have better\more realistic physics.

I think you misunderstood what he was trying to say. He said physics but mean physical stuff. Like feeling the G forces, the bumps on the road, etc. A game will never be able to simulate that. You'd need a dedicated simulator like he mentioned. So yeah I game will never be as realistic as the real thing.

The Blue Room have a vid on scanning techniques used in HS and other Sony titles. I'm sure a system could scan in the interiors of cars quickly enough.

The Blue Room have a vid on scanning techniques used in HS and other Sony titles. I'm sure a system could scan in the interiors of cars quickly enough.
That was my first thought too after reading the 180 days part. Why waste so much time on modelling a car instead of simply scanning it.

Honestly it sounds more like a boast than an accurate breakdown. I doubt it even equates to man hours, just something comparing how long it would take if they were using the same techniques as GT1 or something since the quote is relative to it.

180 days to create a car sound like a lot of man hours (or is it play hours!). I think it includes a lot of testing time to but who nows. ;)

Then I think the problem is that you are too selective.

No, the problem as it turns out is that you do not know the difference between physical and physics, which makes your first paragraph completely different than what you really meant to say.

Then the actual physics part rant is still imo a rather bad rant, seeing how we got games today with better physics models for car simulation, and they do not need supercomputers to run..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back