The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that would be ok if that was all the game was about. Maybe they should have made a car showroom game....
Well that's mostly what the Gt series has been about! It's been about the cars, racing cars and collecting cars and virtually owning cars. It hasn't been a virutal holiday game where you get to drive around taking in the lovely scenery! It's more for people who'll race a track, and then watch the replay in glorious replay-cam, where PD's car rendering is the best in the world at the moment.

It's expected things will improve for the game proper, but even if not, what everyone's getting so excited over in this thread is the shading and lighting of the cars being very realistic. They're looking at car pics and saying 'wow, that looks so good.' If people were pointing to the scenery and saying 'wow, that scenery is so good,' then I'd understand your complaint about people getting excited over nothing. So unless you think the car shading isn't anything so hot, what's your problem with people recognising PDs work in this area?

I guess that would be ok if that was all the game was about. Maybe they should have made a car showroom game....

They already did make a showroom.

What are you complaining about? it's not a full game, it's just a free demo. I guess it's not possible to please everyone.

You know what they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I think being objective what the demo shows us is the PD has what it takes to bring GT into the next gen with style, flare, and quality that they are renowned for. Sure there are things to nitpick about, but the brass tax is that the new stuff is killer.

I can't even begin to imagine how good GT5 will look. Hell, it is possible that GT5 might looks better than real life!:D

It could. ;) Seriously, who wants to play real life? I was reading an interview from the FM2 team and they noted that real world locations are always a challenge due to many realworld locations being bland, especially racetracks. (Total redeption there from last year!) Likewise real lighting and what not can be boring too. Picking a style that makes everything surreal and accents a nice theme looks better than real. Even if the entire game was not up to snuff with "real" I bet developers could create a surreal look that people PREFER to real life. I hope that comes this gen :D

IMO even this track puts easily shame any similar track on PGR3. And this is just one track.

From the HD videos and shots the world assets still lack a lot of fidelity, more so than PGR3 by a large margin (and the non-city settings are definately the weakspot in PGR3 as it isn't the focus). And as for the cars, PGR3 isn't necessarily a slouch. GT HD has more going on and a better style in many ways, but goofing with the filters in PGR3 (or just the showroom) shows that this is much an issue of style and preference as technology (although GT is ahead on the cars... can they keep the same detail and improve the shortcomings with fully redone backgrounds? Good question).

Um..that was a PGR screenshot. However the rest of your statements are accurate.

hahaha lol gamespot have the most crappy screens evah, it's the n.1 sorce for teh sony f@nboys ta post xbox screens...

Please lets get real, not all of we are blind sony f@nboys excuse me i dont have teh huge orgasm for the first real good looking ps3 game wtf take a look at those screens if ya wanna compare :

http://xs105.xs.to/xs105/06332/ed73365d-41c4-4408-b894-41b3d2a9afa2.jpg
http://xs205.xs.to/xs205/06332/3aa91321-f3ce-4fc3-983b-8c7f2897050a.jpg
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/54/3fa67d679b4d40d09976ddd342f88c3fri6.jpg

lol wtf PGR3 was rusched crazy way to lauch yet it blow

Last edited by a moderator:
It could. Seriously, who wants to play real life? I was reading an interview from the FM2 team and they noted that real world locations are always a challenge due to many realworld locations being bland, especially racetracks. (Total redeption there from last year!) Likewise real lighting and what not can be boring too. Picking a style that makes everything surreal and accents a nice theme looks better than real. Even if the entire game was not up to snuff with "real" I bet developers could create a surreal look that people PREFER to real life. I hope that comes this gen

You make some very good point here

although GT is ahead on the cars... can they keep the same detail and improve the shortcomings with fully redone backgrounds? Good question

I think they can:D (hell the car might look even BETTER in the final version!). GT4 have amazing looking cars and backgrounds (just look at the Grand Canyon track in GT4!, just to name a few). The only complaint that I have about the background in GT4 is that, there are some 2D crowd and object on the side road. I have a strong feeling that, PD will do an amazing job!:D

supervegeta, do you ever listen to yourself? Or, say, examine your handle lately?

Holy shit you know what i was just trying to have a little fun an u all have to be inpa****et ya need to grow up and just let some on injoy the litte things in life.

Nope, I'm serious, PD is an EXTREMELLY talented developer. I have no doubt that GT5 will crush every single racers this generation, visually, and technically. Ok, I was joking a little bit when I said that GT5 might looks better than real life. But with the power of the PS3 and the talent of PD, it's possible:D

Hell just look at GT4 (a racer on the WEAKEST console last gen!), GT4 basically blow every single console racers out of the water visually, last gen. Truly show what PD is capable of:cool:

While i agree that PD is extremely talented, i suggest you go pick up a xbox 1 and play some racing games if you think GT4 was the ultimate graphical racing achievement last generation...

Do you prefer dramatic sounds to realistic sounds?

I prefer real sounds, a ferrari 599 does not sound like it does in the demo. Anyway, i've never heard racing games with realistic sounds, even PGR3 hasn't realistic engine sounds, all the car sound the same in those games, with minor differences.

Okay, I finally openend up my PS3 last nite. Imagine my joy to see GTHD available this morning!

On the whole, it's a wonderful little package for a hardcore GT fan. Very complete and very tidy.

On the technical side, it appears to in fact be GT4 with some GT5 technology appended. Namley, the paint and lightng.

The paint on the cars is doing something that I haven't seen done before and it's just astounding. I can't say what it is but it's retroactivley made other racer look ho-hum. The light and shadow is just mind blowing. Many screenshots from PGR3 come fron the photomode, where it takes a second to render a single frame. The cars here look better (less tons of AA applied in PGR3 photomode) at 60 frames a second. Im very happy.

I'm posting the comparison pics.

GTcompahonda.jpg

A little GT/ real track comparision:

Eigertrack.jpg

There seems to be a peak missing there in the background, but I think it looks pretty close otherwise.

edit: before I get into trouble credit for the original photgraph goes to Lukas Witschi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back