The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you say that?

It fails to 'wow' me. HDR doesn't seem to be implemented(in the 2 vids iv seen), the shadow thing someone talked about in the tunnel doesn't cast onto the car, all i see are simple hires reflections. I guess i just wanted to see something better than that demo.
But ignoring my pretensious anxiety for a pretty GT5, they will very likely benefit much more from this demo at that stage being released like it is, since it will easily show and 'wow' the masses with the leap done in improvements the final game will logicaly have.

can someone get a behind the car "in game" pic up please? not a replay shot?

thanks!

So far this game looks hot

You can download the demo now. This picture looks all kinds of sexy.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13485&type=mov&pl=game

While a TGS video, the video does show how the cars and world (mildly updated PS2 course) are very dijointed from eachother. Of course GT isn't really about the graphics, but I never understood taking PS2 assets for a next gen racer. It just looks... very wrong. That and the bumper cars. Maybe we can get PD to put their uber sexy cars in T10's world :p Of course the final releases of both should be stellar, but both need a bit of work at this point.

Looking forward to damage modelling in all modern racers. Even to an average racer like Toca 3 it adds a lot of value and enjoyment, and more realistic strategy when racing with others or AI. You damage your car you run the risk of not being able to compete and/or being disqualified.

The lighting in the tunnel is excellent. I think Acert93 will be proud. :D

Hey Acert93 isn't that the dark shading reflections what you wanted in the dark tunnel? The reflections look perfect imo. It's exactly what you wanted.

I will have to take a look (hopefully it gets on a read vid site). I am sure Blim will have some good HD media up soon. I am sure it has improved a lot and looks good. PD are killers when it comes to graphics.

Massive improvement from TGS. Can't wait for more tracks and a cockpit angle.. dynamic weather.. damage.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/752/752330p1.html

IGN´s impressions.

Now we are talking. :yes: No reason a flagship racer should be without dynamic weather (better be a user selectable option!), damage, cockpit view (although a rough trailer & hood cam that takes road grade, texture, and inertia into account is also very good IMO as well), and so forth. Shaping up niiiiicely. Now lets get those real world cars... into a real looking world :smile:

It fails to 'wow' me. HDR doesn't seem to be implemented(in the 2 vids iv seen), the shadow thing someone talked about in the tunnel doesn't cast onto the car, all i see are simple hires reflections. I guess i just wanted to see something better than that demo.
But ignoring my pretensious anxiety for a pretty GT5, they will very likely benefit much more from this demo at that stage being released like it is, since it will easily show and 'wow' the masses with the leap done in improvements the final game will logicaly have.

To their credit, they have dumped a ton of work into what is for all intent and purposes a free demo that is in many ways a port. A full GT5 next gen game, as always planned, will surely do away with almost all of these complaints.

While there are good and bad of the demo, as a game I don't see any reason to harp on it too much. PD has moved onto another project and people get this for free. What they have shown us though is great. If they can get these cars into an equally great looking world with all the necessary features (especially improved AI, online, damage modelling, PGR3 like cabin view) then GT5 will be yet another killer system seller.

Picture of GTHD.

Awesome car. Just... jaw dropping. Color saturation and lighting (especially the highlights) make it look nearly like an oldish photo. Why cannot all next gen games look this good :p

This demo is way better than what was shown at TGS. Cars and tracks looked indeed dijointed in the TGS-version.

IGN said:
With this early look at GT5, Polyphony has managed to show how things are supposed to be done on the PS3. Visually, the game is far improved over the Tokyo Game Show build. That version had framerate problems, no lighting, and blurry crowds. Those problems have been taken care of here. The framerate is solid, the environment is fully lit, with environmental reflections on your car and actual shadows when entering the tunnel midway through the course, and the crowds actually move around. The game has also been spiced up with some nice effects, like an impressive glare as you emerge from the track's tunnel, and those waving flags that PS3 developers seem to love (see MotorStorm and Heavenly Sword).

One thing we've come to appreciate with the demo is how much detail Polyphony has been able to push out. In addition to just about the finest car models out there, the track is packed with detail, from dozens (or possibly hundreds!) of animated spectators, to thick patches of trees, and even fully realized mountains in the distance. In our new videos, in addition to racing and replays, we've included a clip focused exclusively on the background scenery of the tracks, so you can see for yourself why we're so impressed. This video consists of footage that loops in the background as you wait to begin a race.

As good as it looks, the demo still shows lots of room for improvement. The spectators are still pretty stiff overall. The game also has some image quality problems, at least when compared to the super clean trailers that we've been seeing at the official GT5 site.

Still, considering GT5 is a ways from release, and Polyphony has managed to come this far in just three months, we wouldn't be surprised if the final product ends up pushing the PS3 like the GT series pushed the PS2 and PS1. It's worth noting that the demo runs at 1080p and 60fps. Maybe it already is pushing the PS3 like no other game.

Awesome car. Just... jaw dropping. Color saturation and lighting (especially the highlights) make it look nearly like an oldish photo. Why cannot all next gen games look this good :p

yea, between this and Motorstorm the PS3 looks like it can produce incredibly realistic lighting. (in the right hands)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13485&type=mov&pl=game

While a TGS video, the video does show how the cars and world (mildly updated PS2 course) are very dijointed from eachother. Of course GT isn't really about the graphics, but I never understood taking PS2 assets for a next gen racer. It just looks... very wrong. That and the bumper cars. Maybe we can get PD to put their uber sexy cars in T10's world :p Of course the final releases of both should be stellar, but both need a bit of work at this point.

I'd say graphics are 50% of the appeal of a racing sim for most people. For immersion you need to wow the audience. All previous GT's did that with GT2 and GT4 having a slightly less pronounced affect becuase they were not the first on a new platform.

Some more pics from GAF

kevm3 said:
This game looks so good, it's ridiculous. Taken from the Playstation official forums (Garnett and likev, respectively)

framegtu011su0.jpg

framegtu2011pa0.jpg

gthd4.jpg

gthd5.jpg

The Blue Ferrari is like....insane. The car is visually appealing to begin with (in real life), it just looks so perfect in those screens.

The download is up on the US store! If you can manage to connect, you can start downloading. I'm at 25% at the moment :)

These are my impressions I posted at Rage3d:

The graphics are not as good as some would lead you to believe. As has been the case in previous games the following has happened:

The game starts up and an intro begins. I almost shit my pants at the quality of the graphics. The models/lighting/effects are better than what I have seen so far on a console (imho). I was really psyched watching it and could not wait to get into the game.

The game menu loads and I look around a bit. Standard fare, nothing really to talk about...I did like the fact that the video options do let you select you override/ select a resolution different that what is set in the XMB.

I start the game (time trial) and find that one car is only currently selectible, Some Suzuki POS... (I'm not surprise by this though, as I had already read that you need to unlock the other cars by making the required track times).

I select that car and a screen comes up with a model of the car rotating around. I get to choose my paint color. Off the bat, I notice this does not look as good as what I saw in the intro. I choose my color, select my car options (mt, at, traction control, etc etc) and start the race.

The race portion loads and I am instantly saddened. The graphics are fairly plain jane and uninteresting. The texures are fairly drab and there isn't alot of variety to them. The quality leaves much to be desired, and once again...just does not look as good as the intro led me to believe. The track is sparse and not very detailed. It is nice to see the people along side of the track are at least semi decent quality 3d models.

Because there is only one track, you are left to run around the track over and over trying to see if you can improve your time, get a better ranking online, and unlock more cars (there are a total of ten). It is very easy and so far I have basically unlocked a car the first time I have run a lap. ( I have only played a few times though, so I only have 5 cars unlocked).

After the race you can run a replay. This is where you might possily get wowed again, as it seems to run some additional effects (focus/depth of field, lighting seems a little better but that could be just the camera angles, etc) while you are watching. This is close to the way the intro looked, but the quality doesn't quite match it.

I guess the only thing I could say is this: There really leaves a lot to be desired with the demo. It is a so-so release that only die hard fans of Gran Turismo will possibly love. It's a nice little time waster if you need something to play/want to take a break between playing some retail games....but it's nothing more than that.

I am just glad they decided to drop this idea and have put a focus on making a real sequel in Gran Turismo 5.

BTW, I think there is a reason we have only been seeing intro shots/replay shots being posted. But I think you can figure it out. I wish I could figure out how to get some good shots from my camera, everything is coming out too grainy or blurry.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/Clockwork2004/gthd1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/Clockwork2004/gthd2.jpg

These are my impressions I posted at Rage3d:

BTW, I think there is a reason we have only been seeing intro shots/replay shots being posted. But I think you can figure it out. I wish I could figure out how to get some good shots from my camera, everything is coming out too grainy or blurry.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/Clockwork2004/gthd1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/Clockwork2004/gthd2.jpg

Your kidding right? I already posted in game driving vid and now another. I dont know what game your comparing this too with your review because this demo so far eats all. Have you seen the selfshadowing on the Ferrari pic?

Your kidding right? I already posted in game driving vid and now another. I dont know what game your comparing this too with your review because this demo so far eats all. Have you seen the selfshadowing on the Ferrari pic?

I will go out and say it right now...I find the >1yr old PGR3 on XBOX 360 to be more impressive.

Imo the cars during replay look very detailed et impressive, but the track and the sounds are terrible, only last gen put in HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back